Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

FAE?

wakebrdr94

Yeah, I can believe it.

Only have to think about how quiet are I/Os with similar V8 engines. Just get the noise energy dissipated among the turbulent water.

That said, I love listening to the V8 burble when I'm skiing up the river... :)

• Like 2

Out the back, all you can hear is the water splashing from the hull.

The video clip is accurate.

Inside, while quieter, you still get a noticeable rumble from the motor box.

I have a CM so it is right behind me.

I went from STE tips to FAE only to make a day on the water more enjoyable with reduced engine drone.

Worth the upgrade.

Cheapest steroids upgrade you can buy as well

• Like 2

Do you lose any engine performance? Top end, low end?

I didn't notice bottom end loss but I deff noticed top end loss. I have the 1235 prop for surfing & I could do 35mph round 4k RPM & now I seem to be able to hit 32-33 at 4k rpm if the water is glass. The quiet & lack of fumes was worth it, plus it was the best upgrade for my stereo

Yes, super quiet. You can actually carry on a conversation in the boat at 30 mph, and only hear rushing water when surfing. I'm not much for top speed runs in my boat, usually 30 is as fast as I go. I have 2313 prop and can hit 40 mph via paddle-wheel indications. It may have knocked off a few MPH, but I'm not worried at all about that. No problem with hole shot either. I will say that I've lost adjust-ability with the power wedge when surfing listed. Wave is still awesome, just have to run it all the way down. Used to be able to run it 2 clicks up, and could change the wake shape a lot with that adjustment. Still for the noise and CO reduction, it's a major win.

• Like 3

If you have music loud, you're not conversing. If you can't hear your music, should probably up your system game. :)

Till you've heard your current system with an FAE, it's really hard to explain. On my MB it was like my output instantly doubled, and that was a pretty big system (2xRev10s, 2xArc KS600.2s). My MB was straight piped from the factory (no muffler at all), so my experience was probably as dramatic as you can imagine, but still, till you hear your own system with FAE you really don't know what you don't know.

And for those who love the engine roar, it's still plenty pronounced in the cabin. It's behind the boat where the noise reduction is most dramatic. Does anyone particularly appreciate a roaring engine in their face while surfing?

• Like 3

I notice more sound reduction behind the boat than in the cabin. You do get a reduction of noise in the cabin but not nearly as drastic behind the boat surfing and wakeboarding. Coming from rubber flappers it's a huge difference, smaller difference with turn down tips. Regardless a good upgrade imo and worth the cost.

I have not noticed any power loss, I also don't run the rubber flapper inserts. Straight fae pipe only.

There is a used FAE on forum right now for pw2, great price on it.

Edited by Fman

I notice more sound reduction behind the boat than in the cabin. You do get a reduction of noise in the cabin but not nearly as drastic behind the boat surfing and wakeboarding. Coming from rubber flappers it's a huge difference, smaller difference with turn down tips. Regardless a good upgrade imo and worth the cost.

I have not noticed any power loss, I also don't run the rubber flapper inserts. Straight fae pipe only.

There is a used FAE on forum right now for pw2, great price on it.

I spoke to Larry about this, he thinks the mechanical resonation from the silent rider exhaust is the cause of the cabin noise. Someone on this forum has already removed the silent rider and went straight to the FAE from the manifolds and reported quieter cabin noise. Removing the Silent Rider will also create room for a ballast pump rack.

I want to do the same but do not have access to my boat to measure the space between the exhaust hoses off the manifold to the top of the hose going out to the FAE. If i have those measurements, Larry will make a set of inserts that i would need if i took out the Silent Rider.

Here is the deal, if someone with an '08 vlx can supply those measurements to Larry, Larry will give that member a discount on an FAE system.

"Chia" wrote

I spoke to Larry about this, he thinks the mechanical resonation from the silent rider exhaust is the cause of the cabin noise. Someone on this forum has already removed the silent rider and went straight to the FAE from the manifolds and reported quieter cabin noise.

Thought about removing the silent rider mufflers when I installed the FAE. Had troubles locating the elbows to replace the ones moulded into the mufflers so I just concentrated on the FAE install.

Overall happy with the install result.

Got me thinking, should I remove the silent rider mufflers to further reduce cabin noise.

Will have to do more research on this as it will be a PIA to remove the tank again to get to the rear hose clamps on my DD

Edited by Andrew63

Expired May 11th. I posted in that thread back in July. Bring on next years!

Yes please!!!!!!!

I purchased my boat after the group by ended. Really hoping to have an FAE on my boat by the time spring hits.