Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$24 skateboard ramp wedge? Yes, please!

Dsingram

I have a 1991 f3 and have been looking for some thing like this, up here in the greate white north the water fun police like to check and see if you have sacks, then start asking for a visa number also my ins co. Said if I sunk the boat and there was ballest on board I pay the enviro clean up cost as well as the claim, might snow soon so the boat is in the barn for the winter, but will be snow boarding soon and then back out. I was thinking of building one out of plexiglas. I'm not looking for perfection just another foot or ten higher not a lot to ask I think. Allso this summer we have a new law ( if you tie up to another boat it's a public space and, that's right the fun police say no beer or wine on board )

Have to love Canada eh.

the cops are fear mongering.

The police are not going to hire someone to do an environmental cleanup and then simply charge that cost to your credit card, sheesh.

I would never give my cc information to anyone when it did not involve an immediate purchase, contact his superior about that.

You are not required to carry proof of insurance in your boat.

Edited by Chia

Since I got the idea from here, I thought I'd share my results. I had been using a home made wake gate that attaches to the platform on my boat (MC 205v). It worked well but needed more angle. So before I made v2.0, I decided to give this idea a try. The only difference is I used two ramps and bolted them together, giving me roughly 35 degrees of angle. The results were really good. Long pocket, plenty of push, and the lip was much cleaner than it was with my old wake gate. I'm running 750s in the back lockers, 300 in the ski locker, and another 750 up front. 10mph. Here's a pic:

WakeRamp

And a link to video. I didn't have a rider for the vid but I assure you it rode as good as it looks. I won't be needing v2.0 of the wake gate for the swim platform.

https://youtu.be/7yozujChpR8

• Like 2

I doubt it. The key is strength across the surface to keep the ramp from sliding back. This is perfect for Velcro... Not so much for suction cups.

Suction cups don't seem to have much problem carrying heavy granite countertops or glass.

The only difference is I used two ramps and bolted them together, giving me roughly 35 degrees of angle.

Excellent. Did you use the 1080 Launch skate board ramps? How did you attach to the boat?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I'm so happy I landed on this page today.

I built a velcro wedge a few months ago and it gave my old boat a 10x improvement in surf wave.

You won't see the velcro when the boat is on the water so just get over it. Its all about the wave!

I ordered a skate ramp the second I saw the picture. It took me hours to build my own wedge (I used 2x6 triangles screwed together and then covered it with a 1/16 HDPE sheet that actually matched my boat green very well). It totally worked great.
Things that I noticed in the ronix install video that were not mentioned here:

1) Multiple strips of velcro on boat let you adjust velcro wedge up or down depending on tilt/ballast etc. Seems like the lower the better though.

2) Longer lengths of velcro on boat let you move wedge forward or backward. (Supposedly changes height and length of wave.

3) Make yourself a shim if you hull has two tiers on side.

I never had the velcro come off even at 28mph when I forgot it was on heading back to ramp. Only used two 2inch strips of velcro off amazon, the full length of wedge.

TIP 1: Wrap velcro completly around the edge of ramp/wedge and then screw it to the ramp or wedge material. Then use velcro to cover the screws.

TIP 2: Look at your swim step when surfing and if the water on the surf side hits it at all, notice how high it should be raised to clear the water. Add a spacer under swim step to raise it out of the way. I just used a 4x4 on each bracket to see how it would work. Its ideal. Keeps the teak out of the water while in the slip as well.

TIP 3: If you use single skate ramp wedge and a velcro shim, water may rush between shim at lower tier, maybe drill a bunch of holes in the back of the ramp so its self bailing while in use. Double ramp wedge would solve this. Or better yet, glue a solid piece of 1/16 - 1/8 HDPE to the bottom so its a water tight wedge, and have more velcro surface area! And put foam inside so it will float if ever lost.

I'd be very interested to hear a comparison between the double ramp wedge and single ramp wedge and front / back positions on side of boat.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Decided to try the ramp project on my boat.

Wow, it is crazy how much it changed it.

The prop wash I have been fighting has all but gone away, the transition of the wave is much wider, much longer pocket. Overall it is a much nicer wave after a simple 30 piece of plastic.

• Like 3

Wave is looking good man!! I finally got back into a boat a couple weeks ago. (Leftover new 2015 A24). We'll meetup soon I'm sure out on the water man.

No I went down to Shreveport and picked up a leftover they had at a smoking deal. I wanted to work with them but they couldn't come very close at all and it would have been an order boat (16' MY).

Yup surfgate, wedge, 900s in the corners and a 750 in the bow on top of the stock tanks.

Actually I have yet to even fill the bags or tanks yet. I didn't want to add water and just have to winterize the ballast right afterward. It only has like 3 hours on it now so I'm still breaking in the motor.

• 2 months later...

Since I got the idea from here, I thought I'd share my results. I had been using a home made wake gate that attaches to the platform on my boat (MC 205v). It worked well but needed more angle. So before I made v2.0, I decided to give this idea a try. The only difference is I used two ramps and bolted them together, giving me roughly 35 degrees of angle. The results were really good. Long pocket, plenty of push, and the lip was much cleaner than it was with my old wake gate. I'm running 750s in the back lockers, 300 in the ski locker, and another 750 up front. 10mph. Here's a pic:

WakeRamp

And a link to video. I didn't have a rider for the vid but I assure you it rode as good as it looks. I won't be needing v2.0 of the wake gate for the swim platform.

https://youtu.be/7yozujChpR8

Do you have it on the surf side or the opposite side like ronix 8.3 suggests?

• 4 weeks later...
On February 27, 2016 at 10:26 AM, Dsingram said:

Opposite side, you won't like it on the surf side :biggrin:

Thanks Brother. 

Looking to try it out this weekend. 

Always been a wakeboarder, excited to try something new and if I can get a good wakesurf wave w/o spending the cash-Might create some extra flow for a nicer surf board??

ordered the gear you recommended off of Amazon. 

Thanks for all the tips. 

On 10/25/2015 at 9:50 PM, bbjgm said:

Wow. I'm so happy I landed on this page today.

I built a velcro wedge a few months ago and it gave my old boat a 10x improvement in surf wave.

You won't see the velcro when the boat is on the water so just get over it. Its all about the wave!

I ordered a skate ramp the second I saw the picture. It took me hours to build my own wedge (I used 2x6 triangles screwed together and then covered it with a 1/16 HDPE sheet that actually matched my boat green very well). It totally worked great.
Things that I noticed in the ronix install video that were not mentioned here:

1) Multiple strips of velcro on boat let you adjust velcro wedge up or down depending on tilt/ballast etc. Seems like the lower the better though.

2) Longer lengths of velcro on boat let you move wedge forward or backward. (Supposedly changes height and length of wave.

3) Make yourself a shim if you hull has two tiers on side.

I never had the velcro come off even at 28mph when I forgot it was on heading back to ramp. Only used two 2inch strips of velcro off amazon, the full length of wedge.

TIP 1: Wrap velcro completly around the edge of ramp/wedge and then screw it to the ramp or wedge material. Then use velcro to cover the screws.

TIP 2: Look at your swim step when surfing and if the water on the surf side hits it at all, notice how high it should be raised to clear the water. Add a spacer under swim step to raise it out of the way. I just used a 4x4 on each bracket to see how it would work. Its ideal. Keeps the teak out of the water while in the slip as well.

TIP 3: If you use single skate ramp wedge and a velcro shim, water may rush between shim at lower tier, maybe drill a bunch of holes in the back of the ramp so its self bailing while in use. Double ramp wedge would solve this. Or better yet, glue a solid piece of 1/16 - 1/8 HDPE to the bottom so its a water tight wedge, and have more velcro surface area! And put foam inside so it will float if ever lost.

I'd be very interested to hear a comparison between the double ramp wedge and single ramp wedge and front / back positions on side of boat.

Hey BBJGM!  Did you just screw the two ramps together or glue them as well?? (I don't have them in my hands, so I don't know if the bottom lip is smooth enough to glue or not) I was going to put some closed cell foam inside them to ensure they will float incase they get dislodged or my kids throw them over board.  I do need a shim as my hull steps down just below the water line, probably be a good idea to make an extra shim now that I think about it too!!  

I have everything ordered and am going to be getting everything ready for May long weekend. Great idea gents, I'll giver a try before I spend the big bucks on a Ronix foam wedge! 

• 1 month later...

Quick question on how to mount this thing on the hull ....

with our LSV the hull has a "jog" in it that which means I have two choices -

1. Bottom it out below the job and have the wedge hang below the hull (or cut this off) 1-2"

2. Have the ramp go over the job, allow some water to split between the ramp and the hull

Any else dealt with this? If so which way did you go?

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, sidekicknicholas said:

Quick question on how to mount this thing on the hull ....

with our LSV the hull has a "jog" in it that which means I have two choices -

1. Bottom it out below the job and have the wedge hang below the hull (or cut this off) 1-2"

2. Have the ramp go over the job, allow some water to split between the ramp and the hull

Any else dealt with this? If so which way did you go?

Thanks!

I tried the ramp idea on the LSV hull.  Not easy to set up or to get on and off.  I tried it with 2 sets of suction cups, one above the break and one below.  Will sell you the parts cheap as mentioned in my alternative project but recommend you go a different route:

I have the LSV and the bump isn't that big a deal.  The hydraulic pressure will keep it on the boat and any leakage under the lip won't make much difference.

I can't image suction cups working.  It has to be velcro.  Velcro is built to resist force along the line of the surface.  Suction cups are built to resist force perpendicular to the surface.  Almost all of the force is directly back due to the ramp being pushed against the boat.  Suction cups don't stand a chance.  This is not a solution if you want to look cool.  This is if you don't mind looking white trashy to have an awesome wave!  It also sounds good at the office...  "So I put 4000 pounds in the boat and then velcro a skateboard ramp to the side."

22 minutes ago, Dsingram said:

I have the LSV and the bump isn't that big a deal.  The hydraulic pressure will keep it on the boat and any leakage under the lip won't make much difference.

I can't image suction cups working.  It has to be velcro.  Velcro is built to resist force along the line of the surface.  Suction cups are built to resist force perpendicular to the surface.  Almost all of the force is directly back due to the ramp being pushed against the boat.  Suction cups don't stand a chance.  This is not a solution if you want to look cool.  This is if you don't mind looking white trashy to have an awesome wave!  It also sounds good at the office...  "So I put 4000 pounds in the boat and then velcro a skateboard ramp to the side."

But having velcro on the side of your boat is cool??    :Doh: