Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$24 skateboard ramp wedge? Yes, please!

Dsingram

Love it. You can even swap sides in seconds with some additional velcro.

Way to go thinking outside the box!

You might consider adding a piece of foam to the inside of the ramp. Just in case it came off, at least it would float and be visible.

Edited by Raimie

Hmm. Not overly excited about huge strips of velcro stuck to the side of my boat. Looks like they spent as much on the commercial budget as they did in making the wedge...

I was looking for a cheap and easy wedge/gate solution for my 2008 247.

I found it on Amazon, the 1080 micro-ramp skateboard ramp for the low, low price of $23.99. $20 more dollars for marine industrial velcro and the ramp was ready to go. Pictures can be found in the album below with weighting and wave shots.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/133288861@N06/3150GB

Observations:

1) The velcro doesn't seem secure, but once the water pressure hits, it is difficult to remove the ramp.

2) You still need some lean, until we added the last 450 on the surf side back seat, the wave looked great but had poor push.

3) Overall the wave push was not as good as just leaning the boat, but I typically use 4100 pounds of goodness. I won't push the tail down that far in any kind of seas. In calm waters, I will ignore the ramp and push the tail down. But in a crowd or weather, this is a great option.

4) She wants to turn left on a right wave, but it is not too pronounced.

5) The boat is MUCH more stable, I didn't have any apprehension when a 30 footer cruised by. Normally, I would be turning and throwing people to the light side.

6) If you have 25ft of boat and 5000 lbs (counting biological ballast), it is difficult to not produce a surf-able wave.

Overall, the price is right and I like the flexibility. For less than a good tow rope, I can surf Labor day in an urban lake without worry.

What say you, oh mighty inter-web? Thoughts?

Do you have before and after pics of your wake? I ordered a mission surf gate last week for my 09 VLX. Hopefully didn't waste my $400 US on that if this would have worked!!

I posted another pic with normal weighting. It is the one with my 2yo nephew. As I said before, with 4100 lbs of ballast and a few people, it is going to be a good wave. The key difference is stability.

A guy out here in Dallas had the wedge idea, he sold it to Ronix. All credit goes to him. I was thinking about buying one, but figured I would try a few hacks before laying down $600.

I think I'll order tonight and give it a go this weekend.
For that price, totally worth an attempt.

I see with the Ronix one they have a spacer because of the little jog in the hull... the DIY version seems to be below the jog itself. Probably doesn't make a huge difference.

Edited by sidekicknicholas

If I ever tried this out I would probably try to match the velcro color as close to the hull as possible. Does the velcro adhesive come off easily? Maybe if I could stick a new piece on every time surfing it wouldn't be as bad.

Does the velcro adhesive come off easily? Maybe if I could stick a new piece on every time surfing it wouldn't be as bad.

My thought would be clean it all off annually .... re apply come spring. My guess is fishing line to remove + goo-gone and it would be like it was never there.

but our boat is an 04' so it isn't as new and shiny as a lot of boats on here.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the skateboard ramp over the weekend. It worked well! However, I didn't do such a good job with the Velcro and ended up losing the skateboard ramp:(

I do recommend tying the ramp to the boat. Also, be sure the velcro is marine grade and has 24 hours to adhere to your boat. Fresh wax may also be a problem.

I like that better than the gates that attach to the platform.

Wrong direction for suction cups. Probably slide backwards and off the hull.

I have a 1991 f3 and have been looking for some thing like this, up here in the greate white north the water fun police like to check and see if you have sacks, then start asking for a visa number also my ins co. Said if I sunk the boat and there was ballest on board I pay the enviro clean up cost as well as the claim, might snow soon so the boat is in the barn for the winter, but will be snow boarding soon and then back out. I was thinking of building one out of plexiglas. I'm not looking for perfection just another foot or ten higher not a lot to ask I think. Allso this summer we have a new law ( if you tie up to another boat it's a public space and, that's right the fun police say no beer or wine on board )

Have to love Canada eh.

I have a 1991 f3 and have been looking for some thing like this, up here in the greate white north the water fun police like to check and see if you have sacks, then start asking for a visa number also my ins co. Said if I sunk the boat and there was ballest on board I pay the enviro clean up cost as well as the claim, might snow soon so the boat is in the barn for the winter, but will be snow boarding soon and then back out. I was thinking of building one out of plexiglas. I'm not looking for perfection just another foot or ten higher not a lot to ask I think. Allso this summer we have a new law ( if you tie up to another boat it's a public space and, that's right the fun police say no beer or wine on board )

Have to love Canada eh.

Where in Canada r u? The public place comment suggests BC? I've never been asked about sacks or for a credit card or insurance. And I'd fight that public place interpretation, as that's all it is - a cops interpretation. They used to say the same thing about boats generally until a court told them differently.

I like that better than the gates that attach to the platform.

Wrong direction for suction cups. Probably slide backwards and off the hull.

Do you think suction cups could work instead of Velcro?

I've used suction cups, they hold quite well (was holding @ 35mph). I'm still working on the optimum angle of the gate, first attempt wasn't enough angle. I'm not using a skateboard ramp, just some left over 1x12.

Do you think suction cups could work instead of Velcro?

How about something like this? Maybe fix it inside the ramp with some angle stock aluminum (it has screws for attaching a cross piece), and make a hole in the back of the ramp to reach the pump? Could be used for both sides. Would also add some closed cell foam to keep it from sinking... If nobody shoots this down I'm going to try it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EE2GCM?keywords=suction%20cup&qid=1444163409&ref_=sr_1_14&s=hi&sr=1-14

+

http://www.amazon.com/Ten-Eighty-Micro-Skateboard-BMX-Ramp/dp/B001J4ETJE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444164243&sr=8-1&keywords=1080+micro-ramp+skateboard