Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting a better slalom wake on a 1994 Flightcraft Sportster

jbslife

@jbslife: Yes. A couple of questions or assumptions - outboard & based on SV23 hull? What you probably want to be doing are things that will lift the transom: add more downward angle to the prop, take weight off the transom & if possible move forward, add some hook to the hull and if ambitious, add some chine also. Those all help the slalom wake although may hurt footing wake.

is it an outboard?

does adjusting the trim, so you are driving the bow down, help?

No...it is an inboard.

I would try some weight in the front and see what happens. Has been recommended for a lot of other boats

Is there a recommended way to add weight to the front? It has a closed bow.

@jbslife: Yes. A couple of questions or assumptions - outboard & based on SV23 hull? What you probably want to be doing are things that will lift the transom: add more downward angle to the prop, take weight off the transom & if possible move forward, add some hook to the hull and if ambitious, add some chine also. Those all help the slalom wake although may hurt footing wake.

It is an inboard and I don't think it has an SV23 hull based on this thread...

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13142-1994-flightcraft-sportster-wedge-question-anyone-done-it/

How do I tell for sure if it is or is not the SV23 hull? How do I add "hook" and "chine" to the hull?

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by jbslife

Stainless? I know that my VTX has a noticeable difference in wake between my 1235 and 537. There are some prop gurus on here that might be able to help. I always thought the sportster had a great wake!

Some weight hidden on the closed bow may work though. Try 100 lbs of weight and see if that helps. If it does help than look at buying some lead bags to distribute in the closed bow.

Let us know if that works.

Edited by Malibuzer

Stainless? I know that my VTX has a noticeable difference in wake between my 1235 and 537. There are some prop gurus on here that might be able to help. I always thought the sportster had a great wake!

Some weight hidden on the closed bow make work though. Try 100 lbs of weight and see if that helps. If it does help than look at buying some lead bags to distribute in the closed bow.

Let us know if that works.

It's a brass prop. I'll try the weight in the front...thanks!

EDIT: It is a 3 blade prop.

Edited by jbslife

A buddy of mine had one (same year as yours) for a few years & I will say this, you better be starting at 28 off & shorter or it is not fun. He sold it and bought an 00 Death star-not much better. I have been spoiled by my Malibu's Tantrum & RLX lack of wakes.

Hook: a turned down edge at the transom, usually in the flat section at the center.

Chine: a turned down section running fore-aft along the hull, there are usually 2 per side with one at the outer edge. Check the diamond wake and slalom hull pictures in a thread on this site for a visual.

Hook: a turned down edge at the transom, usually in the flat section at the center.

Chine: a turned down section running fore-aft along the hull, there are usually 2 per side with one at the outer edge. Check the diamond wake and slalom hull pictures in a thread on this site for a visual.

Does adding trim tabs work the same as adding hook?

Does adding trim tabs work the same as adding hook?

Not exactly. In principle they both create lift except the location of the trim tabs could alter a different portion of the wake. In addition, tabs act a bit like a wing surface and hook acts more like a flap. The trailing edge can also act in a different way and provide different wake characteristics.

for those of you that do not know what a Flightcraft Sportster is....I would suggest that you don't give advice on weighting the bow...this boat has VERY little freeboard up front.

IMG_6398.jpg

A 1994 in the water.....

Flightcraft_+18xlt.jpg

1993 and Older sits even lower in the water...so be careful when suggesting adding weight to this little rocket ship....

If you have never driven a Flightcraft Sportster, you are missing the driving experience of a lifetime, they are an absolute GRIN maker if you like speed and agility at your fingertips :surprised:

there is a ton of bow space up there, but be very careful adding weight....small pounds at a time if you think that will work.

when you see one idling in the water, you may pull up to him and ask him if he is ok or is he sinking. (ask me how I know, I owned a 93 and we still have a 92) that said the 94 has a bigger top on the same bottom of the hull as it went through a pretty substantial upgrade above the chine in 1994. They widened the deck from 80 to 86 inches in 1994. but left the hull exactly the same.

this is a specialty boat! it is not your average Malibu. it is a FLIGHTCRAFT

my best advice is to:

remove back seat when skiiing or footing (less weight) and easier to step over.

ski at 36 mph and start at 22' off minimum. (Best wakes are at 36mph and at the 28' off to 35' range!!!)

The Sportster rides on a deeper vee hull than most tournament inboards, and as such accounts for the bigger wake, but it rides magnificently in rough water at high speed and is also what makes it a better barefoot boat and a pretty good wake maker at slow speeds because it is so narrow at the chine (80") so it sinks low in the water at slower speeds. think wakeboarding and even surfing, yes I said surfing.

A scarpa plate will most likely ruin the slalom wake it does have. these boats are really inexpesive for what you get....dont put much money in it, just enjoy it and leave it alone, do not modify the boat permantly as you will kill your potential buyers down the road.

if you want to slalom ski on a Malibu Budget, go by an inexpensive Malibu Sportster not a FLIGHTCRAFT Sportster, They are TWO TOTALLY different boats with totally different hull designs.

What motor is in your boat?

the base Mercruiser 260 Ski or the 350 Magnum HO?

if the 350 Magnum HO, it came with a 13 x 13 1/2" Dymex SS prop

Your boat weighs just 2300 lbs with the motor and is only 20' long, adding or taking out just a little weight will make a difference.

if you would like more detailed information on your boats wake and the results at different speeds, PM me...I do not want to bore the rest of the Forum with my response getting any longer...wait, too late for that....I already did... :rofl:

These are just my opinions from personal experience (keep in mind, our Flightcrafts were a 92 and a 93, but the hull is the same. the 93 weighed in at 2200 LBS a full 100 LBS lighter than your 1994.)

• Like 3

my best advice is to:

remove back seat when skiiing or footing (less weight) and easier to step over.

ski at 36 mph and start at 22' off minimum. (Best wakes are at 36mph and at the 28' off to 35' range!!!)

Tried it today...rock on!!! The wake was way better at 36 mph at 28' off. I never thought skiing at death speed would actually be more comfortable. Now I just need to practice. Thanks to all! Great forum.

Tried it today...rock on!!! The wake was way better at 36 mph at 28' off. I never thought skiing at death speed would actually be more comfortable. Now I just need to practice. Thanks to all! Great forum.

You Are :welcome:

JB-Foot is absolutely correct.

And if you ever take up wake boarding, the boat has an awesome wake at 19 mph for riding.

Peter

Yepperz,

A narrow, hull and a deep v hull allow the boat to sink the back end pretty easily at the slower speeds... which the Flightcraft Sportster has....

So it makes a poor mans wakeboard and surf boat and remember those thing called kneeboards, it was great for all of those plus it will excel at tricking (trick skis) too.

I am showing my age now...

Just like the older Nautique 2001 series (1981 to 1989 I believe) that is narrow and has a deep v hull (not flat bottomed back) makes for a poor mans wake/wave/surf boat too..

boats like this are great to give your youngsters their own boat (under $10K) without them destroying your 70-120K surf machines....

just sayin`

I am sure I will get FLAMED for this comment....but I speak from years of experience and riding and driving many many inboards

JB-Foot is absolutely correct.

And if you ever take up wake boarding, the boat has an awesome wake at 19 mph for riding.

Peter

Yes...we have been having lot's of fun wake boarding behind it. The only thing I need to get is a fly high.