Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat lift positioning / bunk placement

Freznick

I need some advice on setting up my boat hoist. It's a FLOE 4500# vertical lift. I'm trying to get it positioned and adjusted correctly so that when my new VLX arrives later this week it will be ready to go. This is my first V-drive so I could use some help with the setup!

1. Where should the lift be positioned relative to the boat bow/stern? Should I pull the boat far enough up so that the rear lifting beam is even with the transom, or, should I leave about 1-2 feet of the stern overhanging the beam so that the beam is under the center of the engine?

Another way to ask this question is: Where is the center-of-gravity of a 2005 VLX? Ideally this would be in the center of the lift for even weight distribution.

2. What width should I set the bunks for on a VLX? They are full-length (hoist length=10 feet) aluminum with a rubber insulator. Since we are not getting a trailer I do not have any reference to measure from. Our dealer said to set them at about 24" apart, but this seems pretty narrow to me...? :unsure:

3. How much vertical clearance do I need between the bunk and lower cross-members for clearance of the gorilla fins, prop (if it crosses based on #1), etc.

Thanks!

Can't give you a measurement on the height of the Gorilla fins, but it is definitely a measurement you'll want to know for clearance. I'd be willing to bet, however, that you will not have enough clearance for your prop, so you can only pull the boat into the lift so far. Obviously, you want to get as much boat in as possible to support the weight of the engine without pretzelling your prop.

My bunks are set 48" on center, like my trailer. The stringers of my boat are that as well, as a reliable source informed me. Go measure, or have someone measure for you, the on center distance of the bunks on a VLX trailer.

Hope this is of some help.