Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Bu in the House!

EchelonMike

Keep a dang close eye on those oil bath hubs. How much braking is required before you get to your launch? If there's prolonged braking between your house and boat ramp you'll have problems sooner than later. Great boat though, I love it. I mourn one less 23 xti owner though.

Edited by Molarbu
  • Like 1

Congrats on the boat!

sidebar......Interesting comment about the oil bath bearings. I find them much less mtce than grease based. We tow 3000 miles per year through the mountains.... no issues over regular mtce. Did seals at 5 yrs that's it so far. What have you experienced.

• Like 2

Congrats on the boat!

sidebar......Interesting comment about the oil bath bearings. I find them much less mtce than grease based. We tow 3000 miles per year through the mountains.... no issues over regular mtce. Did seals at 5 yrs that's it so far. What have you experienced.

I am thinking he is going to say what I am about to say.

Oil bath hubs are prone to failure when they get very hot like breaking down a long hill, then you dump them in cool water, they have a chance of breaking. That is Ok, except when the oil all trickles out of the hub, then the bearing overheats and you never knew you had a problem until you see a thick trail of smoke behind the trailer. Or worse, you see your tire cruising beside you at freeway speeds when the entire assembly disintegrates. They usually fail all at once.

Typical grease hubs will sling grease all over your trailer, but easily get you home in one piece when they go bad. But you need to repack them every once in a while is the downside. I personally prefer old fashioned grease. They fail little by little.

My MC had oil bath and never gave me a problem.

Edited by TallRedRider

My last Bu had an upgraded trailer with oil bath. So ooo ooo nice compared to bearing buddies. Towed 4 years with it, thousands of miles each year to norris, cumberland, etc. Never an issue and zero maintenance. I am going to go thru these and check seals and oil levels...easy to dump and swap oil. Thanks all for the kind words!

Molarbu, we loved the XTI. I still get to see her because I know the new owner and she went to a great home. :-)

That Guy, I didn't see the CL ad but assume so since it was in Westerville.

OB Ski we really looked hard at the VTX. I just couldn't find a good deal on a used one. I will wait a few years until the redesigned VTX is on the used market! :-)

Nice ! Welcome back! I am with you on the oil bath hubs. I have had zero issues with mine in 9 years. Just changed the oil out last year before a long haul

and it still looked fine. My boat is always towed so I put quite a few miles per year on it.

• Like 1