Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Built my own Exhaust tips

Dwayne

Could you make them in the shape of an "s" and have each tip under the water like fae?

Ya i could!Sometimes its hard just do stuff for yourself :)

Edited by Dwayne

This is true. I wonder if that would work as well as fae?

Not unless you combined them to a center tube. I think a big part of the functionality of FAE is that the exhaust gets into the prop wash...not just under water.

Not unless you combined them to a center tube. I think a big part of the functionality of FAE is that the exhaust gets into the prop wash...not just under water.

I would of built my own FAE but my boats for skiing and foot'n not wake surfing!

They look nice. :)

I see the flappers on the floor - is there nothing stopping water surging up into the manifolds and potentially through open exhaust valves now...?

I'm gonna make new ones to fit inside the tip!

Good move! :)

Pretty sure the stock STEs and turn downs have no flappers? There is water in the exhaust all the time anyhow. I made some turn down tips with no flappers when we first got our Sunsetter VLX 7-8 years ago and havnt had any issues. boat%20back.jpg

Pretty sure the stock STEs and turn downs have no flappers? There is water in the exhaust all the time anyhow. I made some turn down tips with no flappers when we first got our Sunsetter VLX 7-8 years ago and havnt had any issues. boat%20back.jpg

I think the STEs are not just straight through and have a baffle arrangement of some sort?

The objective is to stop water, usually from wave action, rushing into the pipe and inertia carrying the water up into the manifold and any open cylinders. It may be that your boat is never parked with he stern facing into incoming waves. I think numerous members could cite cases where water has entered an engine in this way?

Where we sometimes park on a river with high activity I can easily imagine waves sending water all the way to the engine if there was no restriction. I don't plan on finding out the hard way!

@Dwayne: I made a PVC ring to allow me to attach flappers to the stainless tips. That also provided the flange for the flapper to seal the 360 degrees. They also do a great job of quieting the exhaust a few additional dB. I went up in diameter to 4" so I got the rubber flapper material from McMaster Carr.

@Dwayne: I made a PVC ring to allow me to attach flappers to the stainless tips. That also provided the flange for the flapper to seal the 360 degrees. They also do a great job of quieting the exhaust a few additional dB. I went up in diameter to 4" so I got the rubber flapper material from McMaster Carr.

Ya! i tig welded a s.s. Bracket inside on top and made some new rubber flaps.Works good!

Edited by Dwayne
  • Like 2