Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine shutdown, system reboot

Had this happen twice this evening. Moderate chop, engine shut off and the screens immediately rebooted. Entered the code and it restarted. Was running in medium to heavy chop for an hour so it is definitely intermittent. I'll be checking connections tomorrow, any specific things to look at?

I'm not sure if your newer one w/ the computer system is different than mine in this regard, but when I had that problem earlier this year it was actually caused by a defective kill switch that would turn off/on due to chop. When it killed, it would turn off all the gauges and the motor.

I wouldn't expect the battery connection to cause the engine to turn off... I would expect the alternator to keep it on for a while.

**Edit - I never replaced my kill switch - just disabled it by plugging the rear wires into each other... then took the kill switch out and put a second 12v plug in its spot.

Edited by jonredcorn

Ha - I didn't think so either with the gauges. I sat there for an hour with the girlfriend in the boat on the water, turning off the main battery switch, cleaning terminals all over and trying again... no luck. I ended up climbing under the dash in order to see if I needed a new computer module and accidently pulled the kill switch lanyard off... went to plug it in and it instantly worked. After a little testing, it was 100% of the issue i was having and haven't had it again since!

Was the best feeling ever when I found out the kill switch was causing it... maybe only second to having your boat in gear and trying to start it... but we've all been there before.

Same thing happened to me, albeit on an older boat ('02). Hit some chop and engine would act like I turned the key off for a brief moment.

I disconnected the canon plug, gently bent the male tines in various directions, reconnected, and never had the problem again.

Interesting. I actually have a spare one in my spare parts kit. I had thought of that, but thought they were failing completely.

Fwiw, this is the spare I have. The chrome ones listed in most of the threads have been sold out for a while.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N0DLNZA/ref=pd_aw_sim_263_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=19A9806VBCRMDZRK7V6J

Edited by oldjeep

Had this happen a ton on a buddys MXZ. Bought it in and they tightened down the dash guages etc and never happened again. Something tells me they need to use locktite.

Went through and checked every connection I could find, everything was tight and no corrosion. The lanyard does not shut the screens down. Only obvious thing left is the power switch, so I'll just leave it for now. Easy enough to just unplug the connector and plug my spare on if there is an issue on the water.

With mine it wasn't that connection killing the engine and subsequently rebooting the computer it was rebooting the computer killing the engine. If i turn my whole system off at the button, the engine dies. With intermittent ground, that is what was happening, killing the whole computer system and then subsequently coming back up.

Edited by ryansgt
  • 6 years later...
4 hours ago, Jnorris said:

I have the 2012 VTX with the same issue. What finally fixed yours?

Nothing.  I bought an RCA cable with gold contacts - same deal.  Rap in the middle of the screen and it fixes it.  Clearly a bad internal connection.

Just now, Jnorris said:

Thank you. I ordered a new power button, hoping the “cheap” fix does it. 
mine does it repetitively after about an hour of boarding

Mine does it only on first start of day.  Tap on it and all is well.