Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swim platform pin failing

MannClan

Wondering if anyone else has had the issue of your locking pins on the swim platform detaching during operation. 3 times this summer (new boat) during surfing a pin manages to back itself out, rendering the swim platform inoperable. 1 time had a spare pin. BTW, it is not the easiest task to re-engage the swim platform in 100 ft of water.

Yes I know I can drill the pins and insert a cotter pin. However, I don't think that I should have to engineer a solution for Malibu/Axis. Plus that solution is not what I would call a permanent solution. We pay good money for these boats. So off to the dealer I go this morning.

Hoping the Axis engineers troll the site and come up with a better design.

My dealer is great, so I'll see what they say.

Mine has to go through 3 locking sets. It is a pain as I have to take my platform off to fit in garage but you would think having to twist and push into 3 slots it wouldn't move but I have had mine back out after a weeks vacation. Luckily I didn't lose it completely.

Yes, it goes through multiple offset locking slots. Total PITA to put in under water. Even bigger PITA to lift up the platform to get it to slide into the mounting rail slot. Takes 2 people in the boat lifting it up with a rope, and 2 people in the water guiding it in. Temporary solution - I'm going to zip tie the pin between the mounting rail and the lock pin. That should prevent the pin from backing out. Dealer is ordering a set of pins like the trailer pin. He is also calling Axis to speak with them about a better solution.

I had those style pins on my boat from the factory. Last summer I lost one of them somehow. I had a small caribiner to use temporarily, then bought a few more of those pins so that I had 2 spares, just in case. I haven't had the issue since.

I know this is the wrong size but tractor supply carries a whole selection of these in the store.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-square-lock-pin?cm_vc=-10005

If you need one in a hurry you can walk in and grab a few. I use the "yellow" colored ones for the Bimini on my pontoon and they have no signs of rust after 2 years of use and storage outside year round. I am in fresh water so any one in salt water may need to look for a stainless option.

Me too this summer lost one while on vacation. Went to a farm supply and ought a 3" long pin and cotter key, worked. Cotter key is a pita, bit I never take my platform off. Have a second one, will prolly replace the other factory one with the hitch pin style.

Same issue here - people thought I was crazy when I showed them the pin and how it has to turn a couple times to fall out. Went to my dealer and the new ones have cotter pins. Tried to order the new pins ... Back ordered.

Clearly a reoccurring issue.

I went to Tractor Supply and bought a couple of 1/2" trailer hitch pins as a backup. For now will carry those and zip tie the factory pins until my dealer gets me a better replacement. Gonna be in the 100's this week, so I'm taking the boat out mid-week for some surfing.

At least I know it isn't an issue that was a quality issue with the build of my boat. Hopefully Axis designs a better system.

• 2 weeks later...
So I looked under the swim deck today and noticed that one of my top pins that holds the swim deck to the swim deck bracket was halfway out. Question is.. There is a small pin that sticks out of one end and the other end has a circular cotter type pin. The end that has the small pin in it has somehow slipped thru the bracket. Does that pin come out with pliers and then I can slide it back through the hole and then hammer that small pin back into the large pin? Does that makes sense?

Thanks for any help!

That small pin is the "locking pin". It has to go through 2 slotted holes, each slot is offset about 30 degrees from the other slot. In theory the pin cannot back out on its own. That theory has been proven incorrect. If you pull that pin out chances are you will not be able to get it back in and have it stay there.

You can put a tie wrap between that pin and the bracket. It will keep the pin from backing out.