Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dogs on the Bu

saidainc

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldjeep

• obski

• Bill_AirJunky

• RedOwl

LE issues are law enforcement issues but I think my question got answered (dogs are considered passengers).

Our dog is a 100 lbs Dutch Shepard. Very well behaved ex-MWD (military working dog). He has a bad hip and I am actually not sure if he can swim or not.

Take my story with a grain of salt. This is the first I had ever heard of a dog being considered a passenger and causing legal problems (but maybe it's more common than I am aware?)

Good on you for the MWD - you are blessed. I hope the dog gets many, many days basking in the sun & boat-generated breeze.

Edited by RedOwl

We have a chocolate lab that loves the water.

As Die2Surf mentioned, life jacket for sure with her. It also makes it easier for me to haul her out of the water and onto the platform... right before she leaps back into the water.

When we first started taking her on the boat I would snap out the carpet (thinking I was bright). Usually at the end of the day the water would get rough and she would not be enjoying the boat. Last year I left the carpet in so that she could get traction, and she is much calmer on the boat. Just means I have more to vacuum, that's all.

I think I read on here before, but this tip works great: to help a dog back on the swim platform, (or a SUP) just give them a little pressure on the back of the head. This gives them a little leverage needed, so their bottom half doesn't rotate under the platform, and they can do all the work of pulling onto the platform themselves. Much better than grabbing their colar, neck, handle etc.

echoing the above....

hydration- We keep a collapsable bowl in the glove box, he'll drink the lake while standing on the swimstep too

bathroom breaks- Make sure he goes before we head out, no accidents yet, he's well trained. He will whine if he has to go, but hasnt yet.

excess fur- Sure there is some, but that's what snapout carpet is for, I make the kids take it in the house and run the regular vacuum over it and bring it back to me.

buoyancy (lifejackets required or recommended)- Recommend this, they have a handle on them so you can easily lift the dog. I also recomend Ruffwear.

Other- We boat a cheap little bed that I put at my feet under the helm and when we want him out of the way that's where we tell him to go. We also do not allow him on the seats, it was just what we did when we first got the boat and he's trained now even though we're more relaxed now and the seats can take it.

Never thought I'd have a dog on my boat, but it's just fine.

We had a friend visiting from out of state this past Spring and he got stopped and ticketed for his dog having his legs/partial torso on the gunwale while under power (10-15 mph, tops)

I hope this isn't true, but it probably is,

I hope this isn't true, but it probably is,

Sadly it is.

My friend figured the debate would turn into 'what the definition of "is" is' and he didn't want to participate in that fight long-distance.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So bowser is good for a human ticket but not able to be a spotter!  The Golden I had before the one I have now was the best spotter we have ever had. He boated with us all the time. My current Golden has been in the ski boat but not often. Only because we don't go boating in the ski tug any more. But if we go on the pontoon he is with us. 

First two pics are from July and he was seven weeks. Picked him up on Friday and he was on the boat by Sunday. Good thing he enjoys the boat considering he was named Lago :)

B89883C7-A676-4820-B7D8-AF2372B7387F.jpeg

268E8552-1749-485B-83FA-CF24290F73EB.jpeg

18C4F192-FC61-4FBB-9085-34BB72362B1C.jpeg

2 hours ago, Falko said:

So labs look to be the F150 of the dog world around here.

We had a Chocolate Lab, Bailey, who lived to be 16yo.  He grew up with the kids.  Man, I still miss him.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Falko said:

So labs look to be the F150 of the dog world around here.

Not just around here...

AKC › News

Breaking News: The Labrador Retriever Wins Top Breed for the 26th Year In a Row

Jordan Upmalis | March 21, 2017

mine don't drink out of a foldable bucket ... so I have to provide a solid one ...

potty break every 2 hours - better safe than sorry but have to bring them to the shore ...

have life jackets but rarely put them on ... my spotter has fallen in a few times when we took off ...

with few exceptions - never a leash on any dog - too dangerous if they fall/slide - could cause serious injuries if leash gets caught somewhere ...

now trying to tip the balance in favor of GSDs :whistle:

IMG_48171_zpseygmehhi.jpg

IMG_47141_zpsfvrvkxa5.jpg

IMG_45791_zpslehbo9lb.jpg

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Monkeybutt said:

mine don't drink out of a foldable bucket ... so I have to provide a solid one ...

potty break every 2 hours - better safe than sorry but have to bring them to the shore ...

have life jackets but rarely put them on ... my spotter has fallen in a few times when we took off ...

with few exceptions - never a leash on any dog - too dangerous if they fall/slide - could cause serious injuries if leash gets caught somewhere ...

now trying to tip the balance in favor of GSDs :whistle:

IMG_48171_zpseygmehhi.jpg

IMG_47141_zpsfvrvkxa5.jpg

IMG_45791_zpslehbo9lb.jpg

GSDs are awesome, miss mine. He didn't like the boat though, couple rides and he was good, never wanted to get back on the boat.

The GSD was climbing in popularity for a while. I don't think the lab and GR will ever get knocked out of the high spots. I had a GR growing up, great family dog. I just prefer Germans and Boxers, which I have now. He loves the boat.