Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much bow weight is unsafe?

theGrant

In my 08 VLX I am running full 500 mls center, about 1000 lbs each side in the lockers, and anywhere between 300 and 500 lbs bow. I also run the wedge anywhere between all the way down and 2 clicks up. I have a poorman's gate so I am running even weight port and stern. I get very good push and can surf back about 15 feet before loosing it out the back (12.5ish from the end of swim platform). I feel like I have a good wave but always wonder if I could get more weight up front and lengthen it even more. I have ran once with 800 lbs in the bow but I felt like when I let off I was gonna nose dive the boat right in the drink! So long story short, HOW MUCH BOW WEIGHT IS SAFE?

No answer for that. But is that an s bend tower on your boat?

It is a Roswell Aviator. I believe they make the towers for supra and nautique as well.

Edited by theGrant

How much weight is important, and it is equally important to know the conditions. I will usually add more weight on a weekday with no wind or traffic, than say a weekend with lots of boats and chop. I rarely sack the boat out anymore, and most times just use stock ballast and a 750 on the surf side. The wave is better sacked out, but not that much better to have to worry about the boat.

Last weekend I was surfing with stock ballast and 750, and my driver (experience boat driver, but first day driving a ballast filled boat), came upon a fast moving giant 60ft house boat wake. Hands down the biggest wake I've seen on this river. Once we saw it, it was too late to do anything but hit it head on. It was a monster hit, but we made it without taking on any water. I was super glad I didn't have the bow filled and the boat slammed at that time.

Remember, when you are surfing, someone else is driving your boat. And often times it's someone less experienced with driving a ballast filled boat that you are.

• Like 2

When I wakeboard I put a 1000 up front and I dont have near the weight you have in the back. Im with racer...sac it out Brah. That being said, my wife wont drive mine with it sac'd out.

• Like 2

I agree with above it's all about conditions on the lake.

One option I use is to have someone sit upfront with the sacs with the understanding they have to get up and move south when the boat stops for pickup.

I've been running my 06 vlx with the stock MLS full plus 750's in both rear lockers and an 800 in the bow. I have to watch it a bit turning to get a downed rider or if the lake is busy. But it's not unsafe if your paying attention.

Take into consideration of the skill level of the person driving. Too much weight and coming off plane realitivly quickly can cause the nose to take a big dip. Also, people don't think about the rear wash coming from behind, which will give the rear of the boat not only a push forward, but lift the rear, helping to dip the nose further. So while "too much weight" is subjective, the skill of the driver is more important. At lease IMO

I believe there comes a point when you can add too much weight and it really makes no difference in the wake, My 2010 VLX we had 10 people 800Lb up front 750 in the rear surf side locker 400 Lb sac in the center with full MLS and let me tell you it was a hand full to drive. And when we ditched the 400Lb sac and emptied the front about half, the wave looked about the same, Push and everything. So you have to take some time and dial it in, My new 15 likes a lot of bow weight but then again it's a different hull design with more freeboard, so easier to drive!,

Not sure if this is a hi jack? But i was playing around with our weight this weekend. I filled my 1100 in surf side rear to about 800-900 if I had to guess? Put about 400 non surf side. Filled my 550 on the surf side seats full (actually surf side floor cause it wont stay on the seat full) center full, 750 in the bow. Sped up to 10.5 & the wave was really good, much longer pocket, sweet spot was anywhere from up close to boat to about 10'-12' back. Only down side I noticed is it was really hard to recover if you got too far back where as before I could usually always recover before. So, a little less weight in the rear & more in other places & the wave wasn't so much better, but it was longer & more usable