Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge Bolt Size

Smedema

Need to attach a fixed wedge I bought to my wedge plate. Anyone know what size bolts those are?

Got the plate installed when they built the boat, just never added the actual wedge until now.

On my fixed wedge (2 bolts per side design) the bolts are 5/16-18 and about 1 inch long, flat head socket cap screws. Make sure that your holes are threaded deep enough for them to go in tight and I would recommend using red loctite as they are prone to coming loose on the fixed wedges. You will find plenty of threads on here about them failing and doing some damage to the wedge assembly.

Mine failed and I replaced them with some pretty expensive and hard to find 17-4 stainless hardware thats stronger than some of the typical stainless hardware you will come across at the hardware store. Unfortunately they came directly from a distributor I know and he doesn't have any more since they were surplus he had of a custom order.

EDIT: I was referencing the bolts that hold the foil itself to the bars - not sure on the size that hold the whole foil and arms structure to the plate on the transom.

Edited by bdhtree

I think they are 1/2-24. The bolts are stainless with brass nylock style lock nuts.

The ones for my scarpa suppression plate are a about 2 inches long (just a little under) which were the same length on the fixed wedge on my old boat. There were also 2 large but thin (1/16 maybe) stainless flat washers on each bolt which I ran one at the head of the bolt and one at the brass nut with the wedge arm and wedge bracket sandwiched I between. You don't need the washers but that's how they should have come from Malibu.