Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone added lead?

That Guy

Not really. They are sturdy bags with handles which is nice when moving them. I believe you can buy the bags only on their sites but the big difference is what will fit in their bags when not steel shot. Tire weights come in all shapes and sizes and do not form or mesh together as well so they take up more space for an equal amount of weight. Just an FYI. 

I did the same thing except I didn't use zip locks. I just put the tire weights in the bag. I have 3 for a total of about 150#. I used the small red husky tool bags from Home Depot for 7.99. They have been working great. I won a lead wake bag in a raffle and it is smaller but I'm not sure I wanna spend ~$50/ bag. My next project is to wrap up tire weights into a small enough packages to tuck in around the bow tank. I figure I always need bow weight so trying to fit 2-300 pounds around the tank would be a good addition. If I use tire weights, I will cut them up into small pieces to make them a little more compact. 

1 hour ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Google it. You'll find Bomb & others too.

http://www.pop-products.com/

I use 8 of the POP bags.  Easy to move around and they will "form" to where you want to put them.  I got them off Craigslist from a guy that changed boats and did not need them anymore.

Unless you have your boat set up the same way all the time you'll want bags with good handles.  Oh, and don't throw them on the dock.  The seams will split.

• Like 1
On 9/4/2015 at 4:04 PM, JohnnyDefacto said:

Lead-wake.org or .com or something. Jerad out of canyon lake sells 50 lbs bags. I had POP products (steel) and when I bought my A22 I sold it all and went with 600 lbs of Lead Wake.

I put 200 lbs in the tip of the bow, sitting on top of the bolts for the U bolt under the front lights, I removed the front seat back to put it up there.

100 lbs under helm, behind the subwoofer/kick panel.

100 lbs opposite of that, in the observers locker, slid behind my 2 batteries

100 lbs under port bench seat, pushed all the way forward

100 lbs under starboard bench seat, pushed all the way forward.

I have towed thousands of miles this way. Only 2 issues. First, it makes loading the boat a little more difficult (easily fixed by filling the rear sacks a little bit when loading). Second, the bow sits low all the time, so when we are out just messing around or cruising around, I have to be careful of other boats rollers. But the wake is so good with this bow weight that I am willing to look past those minor inconveniences.

I have two 50lb. bags from leadwake ready to put in the bow this summer.  Anxious to see what it does and I can add from there.  Jared was great to deal with.  USPS lost/damaged the first two bags, so he sent two more after. 

2 hours ago, Christoofar said:

USPS lost/damaged the first two bags, so he sent two more after. 

Haha sounds like to carrier got pissed at the extreme heavy boxes and dumped them. I just ordered #250lbs and sent them to the GF's apartment. I like my mailman, I dont feel like pissing him off.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, AJwakedevil said:

Haha sounds like to carrier got pissed at the extreme heavy boxes and dumped them. I just ordered #250lbs and sent them to the GF's apartment. I like my mailman, I dont feel like pissing him off.

It's possible...shipped in flat rate box.  What it looked like is got jammed in the automated sorter.  May have cost the USPS an expensive piece of equipment

I bought 400lbs of lead wake bags over the winter and am very impressed with the quality of them. Totally worth the money. Great customer service!!

I am planing on putting as much in the bow area as possible and the rest under the windshield area. Just waiting for the ice to melt to see what is the best setup. I went with lead wake because I did not want any exposed sacs.. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, PDav19 said:

I bought 400lbs of lead wake bags over the winter and am very impressed with the quality of them. Totally worth the money. Great customer service!!

I am planing on putting as much in the bow area as possible and the rest under the windshield area. Just waiting for the ice to melt to see what is the best setup. I went with lead wake because I did not want any exposed sacs.. 

I am also hoping to put some lead wake bags under the seats around the bow tank of the 22VLX that we have on order. Since it isn't here yet I don't know how many and what size bags will fit. Can you let me know how many of each size that will fit under the bow seats once you get yours configured?  Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, BLSousa said:

I am also hoping to put some lead wake bags under the seats around the bow tank of the 22VLX that we have on order. Since it isn't here yet I don't know how many and what size bags will fit. Can you let me know how many of each size that will fit under the bow seats once you get yours configured?  Thanks in advance!

I will let you know as soon as the ice melts. About a month away in up state ny. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like the PVC tube idea for stashing it under the seats.  Friends of mine that run lead don't seem to adjust it much, they tweak the wake using the dash switches for ballast bags and leave the lead tucked away. 

On 4/12/2017 at 6:22 PM, TylerH427 said:

Friends of mine that run lead don't seem to adjust it much, they tweak the wake using the dash switches for ballast bags and leave the lead tucked away. 

Thats exactly the OPPOSITE of what I got the bags for. Dash switches on, fill bags all the way! if the wave is washy side to side, drag a lead wake bag over.

Why this works really good...

1. Effects are instant. No waiting for them pesky slow pumps to let weight out

2. No need to drop weight to even out. Keep that beast big and level, not smaller and level

3. Those dang voice activated ballast sacs you call friends get stubborn in the cold. If the warmest spot is on port side tucked up by the windshield and you need weight on starboard side, they 'aint movin! Drag a lead wake bag or two over and everyone is warm and enjoying an even wake.

!DISCLAIMER! - I havent used the bags yet... so I may get sick and tired of moving many LBS back and forth. Then again, getting a quick pump on the boat to flex on them fat bottom girls (shout out to Queen) is ok with me.

On 4/12/2017 at 6:22 PM, TylerH427 said:

I like the PVC tube idea for stashing it under the seats.  

Oops.. 2 posts...
Ya, not bad. I had 3 4in diameter tubes 3' and 4' filled with lead and cement. Large, awkward, and roll around if not secured down. Square bags @ 50# each are a lot easier to use. Cost is different of course..... but still, make your own lead bag (like I did) from old tire weights and a tool bag from Lowes. Not as pretty but it works.

29 minutes ago, AJwakedevil said:

Thats exactly the OPPOSITE of what I got the bags for. Dash switches on, fill bags all the way! if the wave is washy side to side, drag a lead wake bag over.

Why this works really good...

1. Effects are instant. No waiting for them pesky slow pumps to let weight out

2. No need to drop weight to even out. Keep that beast big and level, not smaller and level

3. Those dang voice activated ballast sacs you call friends get stubborn in the cold. If the warmest spot is on port side tucked up by the windshield and you need weight on starboard side, they 'aint movin! Drag a lead wake bag or two over and everyone is warm and enjoying an even wake.

!DISCLAIMER! - I havent used the bags yet... so I may get sick and tired of moving many LBS back and forth. Then again, getting a quick pump on the boat to flex on them fat bottom girls (shout out to Queen) is ok with me.

I have a few tucked away and I always set out at least 2 to move side to side to even out wake.  Works way easier than trying to adjust the bags by dumping weight.

edit: also like this rather than ask ppl to move once they're comfy

Edited by t a
  • Like 1
On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 5:22 PM, TylerH427 said:

I like the PVC tube idea for stashing it under the seats.  Friends of mine that run lead don't seem to adjust it much, they tweak the wake using the dash switches for ballast bags and leave the lead tucked away. 

PVC works great. I used tire weights inside 4" PVC tubes and then filled the voids with wet sand. 50#'s is about a 24" tube. Pretty easy to move around but I just leave mine in the bow.

2eoxk6d.jpg

27 minutes ago, nohlan4 said:

PVC works great. I used tire weights inside 4" PVC tubes and then filled the voids with wet sand. 50#'s is about a 24" tube. Pretty easy to move around but I just leave mine in the bow.

2eoxk6d.jpg

Those look like they would do a really good job of rolling around and finding some toes. A good sized tool bag like the one below filled with tire weights is just over 50#. No rolling issues and it comes with handles... Trust me from experience of using both, you wont want to go back to pvc tubes once youve made tool bag weights.

http://www.searshometownstores.com/product/Craftsman-37535-13-in-Tool-Bag?store=3453&gclid=CjwKEAjwz9HHBRDbopLGh-afzB4SJABY52oFaOfOxwIpFgeAjh5MS5rsKECN8jciylx9tNB0EQlEvhoCc57w_wcB

Just now, AJwakedevil said:

Those look like they would do a really good job of rolling around and finding some toes. A good sized tool bag like the one below filled with tire weights is just over 50#. No rolling issues and it comes with handles... Trust me from experience of using both, you wont want to go back to pvc tubes once youve made tool bag weights.

http://www.searshometownstores.com/product/Craftsman-37535-13-in-Tool-Bag?store=3453&gclid=CjwKEAjwz9HHBRDbopLGh-afzB4SJABY52oFaOfOxwIpFgeAjh5MS5rsKECN8jciylx9tNB0EQlEvhoCc57w_wcB

Really depends on the use. Mine don't move because I made them 24" to fit inside my G's front compartments perfectly. Also not sure how often you stand in a storage bin while under way but don't think your toes should be anywhere near them while your moving. Just an alternative to the bags, plus PVC never wears out nor do you have to worry about lining to keep the toxic lead out of reach.

12 hours ago, nohlan4 said:

Really depends on the use. Mine don't move because I made them 24" to fit inside my G's front compartments perfectly. Also not sure how often you stand in a storage bin while under way but don't think your toes should be anywhere near them while your moving. Just an alternative to the bags, plus PVC never wears out nor do you have to worry about lining to keep the toxic lead out of reach.

Pvc does do a better job of dealing. I guess if you're hiding it away in a tight storage area it works... But I would still avoid the possibility of it rolling back and forth in my compartments and maybe  doing damage. It just isn't as compact as possible. And.. Handles. The pvc tubes I made were nice! They were just a huge pain when moving around 

• 2 weeks later...

New question

On March 22, 2017 at 11:55 PM, isellacuras said:

I did the same thing except I didn't use zip locks. I just put the tire weights in the bag. 

Question for you and anyone else. How well are the weights weather proof on their own? Obviously a little because they are on our cars all year round with out corrosion. But is there some chance of exposure? In a marine environment where they will be wet more consistently is there more of a chance of break down and there for should use some water tight enclosure before putting into a tool bag?

2 minutes ago, isellacuras said:

I don't think tire weights are made of lead any more. I think they are mostly zinc and steel. 

Most weights are still lead. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, wheelman said:

Most weights are still lead. 

Oh. Guess I should contain them a bit. I did find 500# of steel shot bags 10x50# for $250 so I can change out the tire weight bags.