Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding a water separator on a Response LXI 2006

Dufour

My girlfriend has started doing wake surfing.

Since I like skiing and not interested in changing boat we are adding ballast in the boat when she want to wakesurf.

With the ballast full, I realised that the water get very close to the air intake of the gas tank on the side of the boat.

My Response LXI 2006 has a Monsoon 240.

Does someone know if it is possible to add a water separator?

I guess I can also move the location of the air intake of the gas tank..

There is an inline fuel filter on this boat... so I wanted to know if someone has already added (or if it is possible) to add a water separator on those boat..

Thanks

Marc

Your best bet may to simply ensure you have a large loop or U in the hose between the vent and the tank if you don't want to move the fitting. You could add a water trap at the bottom if desired, which would need to be drained at an interval determined by your use. If you can get a section of hose between the loop or U and the tank above the vent fitting that will also help keep water from getting back to the tank.

Firstly, congratulations on sticking with the RLXI!

Prevention is way better than cure - do you only have the port side of the boat 'low' when surfing? If so, I think I would first move the vent to the other side of the boat or maybe it could go on the transom.

I fitted a water separating fuel filter to my 2005 RLXI Monsoon 340 for no particular reason. I've never had water in the fuel but it was a nice little project. I replaced the fuel hose from the tank so eliminated the in line filter and have no join in the hose.

IMG_3543_zpscyhjoyho.jpg

IMG_3540_zpseya8flb3.jpg

IMG_3535_zpsesavchba.jpg

IMG_3534_zpstxxkgiuk.jpg

IMG_3533_zpsenz8uzkr.jpg

Edited by GreenMan
  • Like 3

Firstly, congratulations on sticking with the RLXI!

Prevention is way better than cure - do you only have the port side of the boat 'low' when surfing? If so, I think I would first move the vent to the other side of the boat or maybe it could go on the transom.

I fitted a water separating fuel filter to my 2005 RLXI Monsoon 340 for no particular reason. I've never had water in the fuel but it was a nice little project. I replaced the fuel hose from the tank so eliminated the in line filter and have no join in the hose.

IMG_3543_zpscyhjoyho.jpg

IMG_3540_zpseya8flb3.jpg

IMG_3535_zpsesavchba.jpg

IMG_3534_zpstxxkgiuk.jpg

IMG_3533_zpsenz8uzkr.jpg

I was told that I could not add one due to fuel injection :( what was the part number, brand, or purchased from for your separator?

I have no idea what difference fuel injection makes... It's just a filter in the suction line. Just like what used to be there. Except less restriction than the OEM unit. Anyway, mine sure hasn't stopped this engine from operating perfectly. It's also easier to replace this filter each year than fiddling around with the in-line unit.

The filter unit is just a generic type that should readily be available from virtually any boating supplies store. I bought mine from an eBay seller here in Australia.

Here's an example of one: (Ignore the insane postage to Australia estimate...!) Just enter 'Water separating fuel filter' for a search on Google or in eBay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Boat-Fuel-Water-Separator-Kit-Bracket-Separating-Filter-/171893462032?hash=item2805a61410

Remember that it's infinitely more important to prevent water getting into the tank in the first place. The filter has limited capacity to retain water.

Edited by GreenMan

Thanks for all your replies guys... I will probably do both the loop trap on the air intake vent tube and add the water separator on the engine...and sure got a laugh at changing the girlfriend... but no... not an option... :-)

Brad, I would like to see a credible explanation for the assertion...

We have a positive displacement pump drawing fuel through a filter. I now just have a different filter. It may be that the water separator has smaller pores than a standard in-line resulting in increased pressure drop across the filter but I don't know. If so, how much is too much?

The Mercruiser with conventional engine driven mechanical pump in my Gilflite had one from original. I can't see how the on-engine electric pumps downstream of the filter should have any trouble drawing through the water separator. Clearly mine and others don't. Provided the HP pump maintains prime and is not restricted, it just delivers bulk fuel at high pressure and the regulator dumps excess back to the tank to maintain set pressure in the rails.

I have to add that I installed mine concurrently with he anti-vapour lock kit and extra Carter delivery pump and it performed perfectly all last season...

One issue that may be getting confused is that the typical water sep units no doubt are not rated to very high pressure and should not be used down stream of a HP pump such as installations with in-tank HP pumps. Perhaps that is what's causing the concern...?

Thanks for that mate. I do want to add one as it's just nice to have that piece of mind so might need to do it over summer and see how it goes. I'll check with the mechanic who told me not to and find out his reasoning.

My first ski boat was a 16' with a 308 and Holley 650 double pumper. Had the carby top off many times on the water draining water from the float chambers before fitting a separator to that boat.

Edited by brad72

Thanks for that mate. I do want to add one as it's just nice to have that piece of mind so might need to do it over summer and see how it goes. I'll check with the mechanic who told me not to and find out his reasoning.

Please do...I've asked several times and no real answer so far.