Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where is the water coming from?

NCVride

Hey guys,

Maybe someone can offer some insight..... I have an '06 VRIDE. Lately I have been noticing excess water in the bilge. I noticed it this weekend after we finished surfing. The entire rear storage area on the surf side was soaked and there was water puddled in what I would call the platform mount access area. I pulled the hard tanks this winter and upgraded to 750's BUT I did notice at the end of last year before the upgrade there was water in the "platform mount access area."

My packing nut isn't leaking excessively. I don't think my fat sac is leaking either(hard to check when full, also I was getting water in that area before the upgrade.)

I have attached some pics of where the water was puddling. Is it coming in the blower vent holes and just running to that side because of the list? Could the thru hull holes for the platform be leaking??? If so, what would the process be to fix it? Pull the mounts and re-silicone?

1zewpqs.jpg

2iat08g.jpg

30xectf.jpg

I'd test your bag out of the boat. If you suspect the platform mounts you can re-seal them. Don't use silicone though...

I've been getting some wetness in there this year too but I also watch all the kids with life jackets on climb onto the sun deck, drip all the water off their life jackets onto the pads (and down through the cracks) then jump off the side. Rinse repeat for hours... They tend to stand on the sundeck just long enough for the major amount of water to run out before they jump back in. I just don't have the heart to tell them they can't do it cause they are having fun and staying out of my hair :lol:

• Like 2

Does your boat sit outside? My cover regularly leaks water inside the boat and usually in the same place. Also, and this should be rare, but I have had a couple of the screws holding my tracking fins loosen and H2O gets into the bilge there. Relatively easy to fix.

Couple years ago on my inlaws 04 response the bolts on the platform brackets were loose which let in quite a lot of water. Removed the brackets, sealed with 5200 and reinstalled.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

Mine did the same. Never really solved it. Only when surfing....

I did reseal the swim platform as well. Glued the fittings into the bag.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

Is the bilge pump working? Don't have any additional insight on where the water is coming from, but I think I would check the pump and make sure it hasn't given up on you.

Edited by REHinH20

Is your rubrail getting hammered with water when you surf? It's possible you have some seperation there and its leaking and pooling in the back while underway.

Hadn't thought about this but I guess it does. May try to get a few buddies to sit in the back corner when just hanging on the water this weekend to eliminate platform leak and narrow down to rub rail. Could it be coming in the clear when water gets up there? Yes sometimes it's in the water. Any solution to rub rail or cleat?

And yes my bilge works with no leaks.

Edited by NCVride

Hadn't thought about this but I guess it does. May try to get a few buddies to sit in the back corner when just hanging on the water this weekend to eliminate platform leak and narrow down to rub rail. Could it be coming in the clear when water gets up there? Yes sometimes it's in the water. Any solution to rub rail or cleat?

And yes my bilge works with no leaks.

If it is hull separation, you would need to pull the rubrail off and re-seal the joint under it. Possibly install new rivets. Then re-assemble. Water is tricky because it travels so well, so the more eyes you can have on it the better.

This. The shower can leak like crazy.

No Shower. Thinking if I can load the corner on that side with people ballast or a sac on the platform, instead of having a full 750lb sac in the locker, I can see if it is coming in the platform bolts when they are submerged. If it doesn't leak there then it has to be rub rail and/or cleat. You can see the water line in the first pic. Has to be alot of water coming in somewhere. That was after about an hour of surfing. I don't feel like it's the sac because when we were done surfing the sac was just as full as it was when we started and I saw water back last season before I upgraded to the 750's. Guess I'll start my process of elimination after we get the early morning butter before all the yahoos get on the water for the holiday weekend.

I have an '02 VLX and I get that every time I surf. Pretty sure it is from the wake splashing up over the back of the boat and going under the back of the sun deck because there is s big gap beyween the deck and the hull. It happens when I am at 10mph then go straight to idle when my rider falls, and the boat slows down so suddenly that the wake is going faster than the boat for a second.

• 9 months later...

Not sure if there you ever figured out a solution to this, but i have a 2002 23lsv and this has been happening to me but only when i am loaded down and surfing.  So much water gets in that we actually have to stop to let the bilge catch up.  I put a Suck-gate on when I load it down and I noticed that it sprays up right at the rub rail but didnt realize that water could get in there.  Any insight would be helpful!!