Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Axis surfs best?

malibudog

20 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

got to surf our T22 today.  Holly molly.  Real impressed.  Needs more bow weight tho with 900s. in the back... or I need to go with smaller sacks in the back.  We ended up dumping half or more and it was real good.  could hit some pretty good airs without much effort.  Loads of push.  No pics but I'm sure I'll dump a bunch on you guys this summer.  Easily as good as our '14 LSV was.

@shawndoggy to clarify, the wave was as good as your LSV with 400lbs in the lockers, and the 650lb bow sack?  Wonder what it would look like if you could full everything! 

sumo 900s were about half full, all other factory ballast full, including bow sack, plus 150 in lead in the bow, wedge down.  If you "fill everything" (meaning 900s full in the rear) you will need a crap ton of weight in the bow to balance.  If the 900s were too full we just got way too much bow rise and not a lot of fwd motion.  I'd think you'd need a full triangle sack on the seats at least. 

but with a reasonable amount of weight, all hidden, the wave is great, and I cannot see needing more for most people.  I'm sure we'll do some fine tuning, but I'm afraid I overkilled it with the 900s.  Really wishing I'd have done 600s instead.

I had straight line 750's and regretted not getting the sumo 9's. I now have the sumo 9's. I don't think you would be happy with the 600's. True, if you fill the 900s you need an extra big guy up front or an extra sac, but if you don't have one of those (like me this morning), I just dumped a little out of the rear until it was perfect. Still prob had 800 or so in each sac (and maybe a little extra in port side).  FYI I usually surf at 11mph, I like the balance between height and length of wave. 

On Sunday, June 05, 2016 at 11:16 PM, shawndoggy said:

got to surf our T22 today.  Holly molly.  Real impressed.  Needs more bow weight tho with 900s. in the back... or I need to go with smaller sacks in the back.  We ended up dumping half or more and it was real good.  could hit some pretty good airs without much effort.  Loads of push.  No pics but I'm sure I'll dump a bunch on you guys this summer.  Easily as good as our '14 LSV was.

Have really been thinking about a new T23.  Will be curious to see how you dial the 22 in and comparison with your other boats.  Have a guy that just moved into the slip next to me with 16 T23.  I offered to bring lead and bags to help him dial it in.............................Can't wait!!!

Shawn, is the shape the same as your LSV or does it have a little lip to it (hopeful)?

• 2 weeks later...

We have a '15 T23 with the base engine  (don't know what it is ) with 1100 PNPs in the rear.

For surfing we fill all bags, leaving the pumps on, wedge down and carry 600 lbs of lead to tune with.  We fill an additional bow sack full and go from there.

The surf gates are what really puts this boat over the top for ease of use. 

For boarding we pull the wedge up, dump the bow bag and run the 1100s about half full 

We are all nothing special as far as boarding skills - nothing close to pro but LOVES this boat