Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Axis surfs best?

malibudog

I think the difference is only around $2K but I could be wrong.

If that's all or even $3000 get the T23, it's much more than just foot bigger. More storage, more comfort, better surf wave, awesome wakeboard wake and you won't second guess yourself in 3-6 months. There's a reason so many Axis owners want a T23 over their current Axis. I have an A24 and thinking about one but I'm also looking at a couple other options

Edited by AJWest

If that's all or even $3000 get the T23, it's much more than just foot bigger. More storage, more comfort, better surf wave, awesome wakeboard wake and you won't second guess yourself in 3-6 months. There's a reason so many Axis owners want a T23 over their current Axis. I have an A24 and thinking about one but I'm also looking at a couple other options

it's alos way more likley to need an engine upgrade if you're running it heavy, and given it needs more weight than a 22, that's likely.

it's alos way more likley to need an engine upgrade if you're running it heavy, and given it needs more weight than a 22, that's likely.

Not at all. I run heavy in my 2014 A24 with L96 motor at 594' elevation. I typically run 4750 to 5550 plus wedge and 2-3 crew and 2419 prop to get my favorite wave. My buddy has the 2015 T23, 350 with 2313 prop same lake, and 3350 ballast wedge, and crew of 4-5 and his boat handles that easy and his wave is slightly better than mine...shape wise (more curl/lip).

I am tempted by the T23 (I have a 24' Tige right now), my dealer doesn't even have any to demo, let alone sell. He's got a 2016 A22, though. Hard to buy a boat having never tried it out.

I am tempted by the T23 (I have a 24' Tige right now), my dealer doesn't even have any to demo, let alone sell. He's got a 2016 A22, though. Hard to buy a boat having never tried it out.

I ordered my T22 sight unseen. Never drove one let alone sat in it. Drove an A20, ended up ordering the T22. I wouldn't hesitate to order a T23 if you have a 24ft tige now.

I ordered my T22 sight unseen. Never drove one let alone sat in it. Drove an A20, ended up ordering the T22. I wouldn't hesitate to order a T23 if you have a 24ft tige now.

I did basically the same. Crawled around an A20 on the dealers showroom but never drove/rode in an Axis as it was winter time and they didn't have a T22 to see in person so I took a chance on it. I had spent the past 20 years in a Malibu and done a lot of internet research. I'm happy.

You guys are daring...buying boats sight unseen or even never having that hull in the water. Guessing it worked out anyway...which is good. We took the A22 for a spin on Friday afternoon and everyone loved it. It does feel a tad bit on the small side...but we're coming from a 24' Tige, and would probably get used to it. Everyone loved the moveable rear seat, but would have been nice to have a back rest when looking backwards at the action. The wide, picklefork bow was a big hit, too. Three of my crew (i.e. family) chilled there when they weren't in the water. I loved the dead simple controls for ballast, cruise, the gates, etc., and the throttle was like butter (my boat is getting long in the tooth and feels nothing like that). I wasn't thrilled about the placement of the racks. Putting a wet board up there drips right onto whomever (me for some of it) happens to be sitting in chill-ax seat (or behind the driver on the other side). They need to stick out about another 4 inches...maybe the rotating versions do...not sure. The wave was nice at ~11mph. All three of my boys surfed it, and a couple got back on the wakeboard about 65' (they board slowly at about 19-21 mph as they are just beginning). Everyone loved the wake and the wave, but it could have used a little more push. Would have to play with it a bit. We tried wedge down and up as well. We would love the boat, I'm sure. The A22 was a 2015, but we would buy a 2016 (mostly for the warranty, and a few niceties), so I'm hoping (and confident) that they are very similar on the water.

Of course now we're considering the T23 as well (thanks, everyone :)). The dealer has a '15 T23 that he's wanting to demo, as well, but we have a demo on a 2016 MB B25 this week, so we'll have to see. I at least want to get the family on the T23 dry so they can see/feel the difference in space, both overall, and in the bow (which again, was a big hit on the A22). If we get a chance, though, we'll try to get the T23 wet as well...it all depends on our family's crazy calendar...as we hope to make a decision this week. We're having a hard time climbing back onto our old boat, now, so we need to pull the trigger fast. :) The dealer does have a 2016 A22 in stock now...but if we like the T23, we'll be waiting a while, I'm guessing. Here in AZ, our season is year-round (with wet/dry suits), but we still have a month or so of easy riding in shorts...it would be nice to get some time in before pulling out the wetsuits.

So, sorry for hijacking the thread a bit. Excited about making our decision, though. I'm thinking it's going to be a tough one.

Just throwing this out there...a T22 wave pic. Awesome wave on an awesome boat. I'm 6'7" for reference...

What is your setup? Do you think there is a difference between the A22 and the T22? I know the bow is likely already heavier in the T22 (the helm is moved forward slightly), but just wondering if you've compared in the real world?

Did you say MB B25? The racks on every Axis can be move from the upper position to the lower position on the tower

Yes, an MB 23 foot B-52 (sorry, I transposed those numbers when I was typing, I guess...not a B-25). I understand the racks can move up and down...but what I think they need is to move out a few inches (further over the water). I think these were the fixed racks (not swivel), but the way they are the boards drip right on the seat...which is kind of lame. Would be nice if they dripped into the water...and it was so close. Kind of an annoyance...and seems like a design oversight. I would be interested to know if this happens with the swivel racks...maybe they are further out over the water by a few inches and fix this problem.

What is your setup? Do you think there is a difference between the A22 and the T22? I know the bow is likely already heavier in the T22 (the helm is moved forward slightly), but just wondering if you've compared in the real world?

I have not surfed the new a22. From what I have read it greatly improved the surf wave from the previous hull...to make it fairly even with the t series. I run 900lb sumos in the back with the straightline sac under the bow cushions. I Have always tried to put 1 or two adults up front to add more bow weight, it really helps. I just got a 400lb sac I will fill when we are light on the crew. I may consider lead but I don't like the idea of towing with 300-400lbs hidden up there.

I have the swivel racks on a 2012 a22. The boards drip on seat. the racks would have to stick out awkwardly far to not drip in the boat. The tow arm leans in and board racks are angled inward.

Okay...thanks for the heads up. I guess if I go Axis, I'll just live with dripping all over the seats. Tomorrow is the MB demo. I hope the choice becomes more clear, and not more muddied.

I have not surfed the new a22. From what I have read it greatly improved the surf wave from the previous hull...to make it fairly even with the t series. I run 900lb sumos in the back with the straightline sac under the bow cushions. I Have always tried to put 1 or two adults up front to add more bow weight, it really helps. I just got a 400lb sac I will fill when we are light on the crew. I may consider lead but I don't like the idea of towing with 300-400lbs hidden up there.

Cool, thanks for outlining your setup...that really helps. My plan would obviously be similar from what I've read; a couple 900s in the locker and 650 up front. At least that's what I'm hearing about the A22. Guessing the T23 might need a bit more...but not sure where it would go.

• 2 months later...

Not at all. I run heavy in my 2014 A24 with L96 motor at 594' elevation. I typically run 4750 to 5550 plus wedge and 2-3 crew and 2419 prop to get my favorite wave. My buddy has the 2015 T23, 350 with 2313 prop same lake, and 3350 ballast wedge, and crew of 4-5 and his boat handles that easy and his wave is slightly better than mine...shape wise (more curl/lip).

What RPM is your buddy running at surf speed with that set up (350)?

• 6 months later...

Bill Will my MC dealer (currently have MC X25 looking at t22) they are a MB dealer,  MB warranty is worst in the business,  deny claim first ask question later,  They dropped MB this year do to this and a couple other problems.  Texas mc is the dealer BTW if you want to do a little research.  

I demoed a t23, brought my 900plug and plays and a 750 for the bow. Made as good as wave or better than my 14 23 lsv. The goofy wave was better, the regular wave was not quite as good. We only had an after noon to mess with it though.