Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Virgina Boating license?

mainekneeboarder

First off I want to say I think the license and course is a good thing!! What I want to know is if everyone has to have one or is it just Virgina residents? I have done some research and cant seem to find an answer? I will call if I have to just to be sure but figured before getting on the phone and waiting on hold I would ask here. I wouldn't mind taking the test and getting a license but at $25 each for me, my girlfriend, her son and so on it could get pricey for just a few days. All of us are capable boat operators but am sure we would learn a few laws while taking the test. This is why I think its a good idea. I did find out about the license by going thru the Virgina laws thou as I was familiarizing myself with them.

So do you guys think this has helped as it seems to be fairly new?

MN has a permit required for operators under 18. WI has a permit required for anyone born since 1990. Both tests are online and easily passable open book with no study. Both states recognize a permit from a persons home state as valid.

If the Virginia requirement excuses out of state folks, that would be odd

Edited by oldjeep

Have been hoping for this in CA for years. Not looking forward to the fees but there are way too many wallys around nor cal that have no business being on a lake because they are clueless. Hoping we see this soon to at least try and educate some people.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/boating/education/faq.asp#non-residents

Question 8. So you are not required to have a permit if your home state doesn't require one. Assuming less than 90 day usage

Question 8

I think you've covered it already, but what's the requirement for non-residents of Virginia?

Answer

If you are operating a boat registered in Virginia, you must comply with Virginia's boating safety education requirement. If you are operating a boat registered in another state, but temporarily using the waters of Virginia for a period of 90 days or less, you must meet the applicable boating safety education requirements of your state.

Edited by oldjeep

WA has a boater safety card requirement. I don't know that it really helps to be honest. You can still rent a boat or jetski and the rental company could care less if you have completed the boater safety course.

• Like 1

WA has a boater safety card requirement. I don't know that it really helps to be honest. You can still rent a boat or jetski and the rental company could care less if you have completed the boater safety course.

And the test is so easy a drunk can pass it. :innocent:

• Like 3

I guess I better break down and take the test then

Theres actually a story behind my comment.

Several years ago, one of the gals in our group (the youngest) was of the age she was required to have the permit. So 4 of us went on a Saturday class to take the test. When we arrived that morning, the cop who was holding the class arrived with a broken leg. He said class was canceled but he would give us all the materials & let us take the test online on our own. We each had brought our laptops & decided since we had already set aside the day to get the test done, we should just go someplace & do it. So we went to a bar & ordered bloody marys all around. Each of us did a 1/4 of the questions & shared them with each other. An hour or so later, we were done...... and for some reason all got the same test score. Go figure.

As I understand it, the online test in WA is a bit different now days, with a set time frame for each section that your required to use. The stupid part about it is all the questions that are specific to ocean going boats & have NOTHING to do with inland boating. And the fact that it was so easy for 4 of us to take the test the way we did it. :Doh:

Canada has a Pleasure Craft Operators Card that is required if you are going to operate a boat.... Unless you rent one, then you don't need it (figure that one out).

I think the course and concept is a good idea, but it doesn't work.

The reason I say it doesn't work is that I went to take the course, because I wanted to learn about what was required, and ended up being handed the exam and had someone giving very serious hints to everyone in the room for each question.

Other than the cash grab that it has become, I started to wonder how many other certifying agencies were doing the same thing.

Have been hoping for this in CA for years. Not looking forward to the fees but there are way too many wallys around nor cal that have no business being on a lake because they are clueless. Hoping we see this soon to at least try and educate some people.

You should come down to socal some time....

Edited by twitchee2
  • Like 3

IDEA! how about a tubing etiquette along with no power turns when picking up a rider! in the new CA test! That right there would be worth the extra $ for the license!!!

Big difference between etiquette & laws. Good luck getting that one thru.

It would be damn near impossible to get the surfers around here to figure it out.

Yes....big difference.....and then add alcohol to pretty much every boat.....and those with no clue become more clueless and more obnoxious.....To the point that on major weekends, we don't even go out to public water...we just stay on our ski lake.

Theres actually a story behind my comment.

Several years ago, one of the gals in our group (the youngest) was of the age she was required to have the permit. So 4 of us went on a Saturday class to take the test. When we arrived that morning, the cop who was holding the class arrived with a broken leg. He said class was canceled but he would give us all the materials & let us take the test online on our own. We each had brought our laptops & decided since we had already set aside the day to get the test done, we should just go someplace & do it. So we went to a bar & ordered bloody marys all around. Each of us did a 1/4 of the questions & shared them with each other. An hour or so later, we were done...... and for some reason all got the same test score. Go figure.

As I understand it, the online test in WA is a bit different now days, with a set time frame for each section that your required to use. The stupid part about it is all the questions that are specific to ocean going boats & have NOTHING to do with inland boating. And the fact that it was so easy for 4 of us to take the test the way we did it. :Doh:

I did it online when it first came out and it took all of 15 minutes. When my wife did the online course a few years ago the slides were timed and you had to hit the next button after each one. It took forever and was completed by me while drinking.

• Like 1

VA boater here.

My wife and boys are licensed, 10 and 12yrs old. My 10yr old can drive sac'd out while I wakesurf.

You stand a good chance of not being stopped and checked, but locals, and the DGIF Officers can spot an out of towner a mile away.

Usually a combo of one of the following:

Not slowing down for NWZs.

Jumping/crossing wakes too closely to another boat.

Kids 12 and under no jackets on while boat moving, or standing.

Slinging tubes wrecklessly into oncoming traffic.

Drunk, yelling obnoxious behavior, yelling at girls on docks or other boats.

Adults sitting on gunnels while underway.

Decals not proper or properly displayed

• Like 1

VA boater here.

My wife and boys are licensed, 10 and 12yrs old. My 10yr old can drive sac'd out while I wakesurf.

You stand a good chance of not being stopped and checked, but locals, and the DGIF Officers can spot an out of towner a mile away.

Usually a combo of one of the following:

Not slowing down for NWZs.

Jumping/crossing wakes too closely to another boat.

Kids 12 and under no jackets on while boat moving, or standing.

Slinging tubes wrecklessly into oncoming traffic.

Drunk, yelling obnoxious behavior, yelling at girls on docks or other boats.

Adults sitting on gunnels while underway.

Decals not proper or properly displayed

You should be able to spot us real easy then, :biggrin:

Maine has a boaters safety course available but I dont think its mandatory? Looks like I should be ok with no license.

Seems to be some very misleading information on the internet!! I have talked to a local warden and he said "no Maine does not require a license or certificate" I also called the state Inland and Wildlife fisheries today to double check after coming across this page Link and they also confirmed that no license/certificate was needed. The age restrictions on that page are also worded a bit weird!! Maine does offer a lengthy boating class but it is more for commercial fishing. A friend of mine and his 8 year old son just took it. I'm thinking maybe that site is confusing this with a normal boating certificate?