Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

gas cap for 04 response

oldjeep

I've seen others on here post that they've used a cheap, PVC pipe fitting from the hardware store that screws straight in.

Equally effective but somewhat lacking in aesthetics...

I reckon a '06 RLXI is worth a genuine cap. :)

Edited by GreenMan

Yeah. I haven't found another either. Funny thing is that we were just talking about how often it had been getting left off and banging on the boat. Didn't help that 2 of us were fueling so neither put the cap on. After my first set I noticed it missing . Duho! I like the caps on my boat better ;)

I've left mine off a few times after fuelling with some risk of water from waves getting in - never did though.

I've never managed to drive away with the cap off. Yet.

Was just thinking (a rare event...) and wonder about fitting a longer chain or wire to the cap so that it can be sat on top of the locker door or hung over the side into the boat so that you can't miss seeing it after fuelling...

Well I ended up spending way too much time looking for this but stumbled on this jackpot... marinehardware.com

See page 40 of their catalog and check out part #SSDF66400

Previous posts claim this was ~$35 shipping included.

A previous TheMalibuCrew post from long ago actually referenced this same part... on another post one person said it matched the 2007 VLX Gas cap....

A second place to buy: I noticed you can buy this part new for $27.64 (Canadian??)

It looks like the one you're looking for!

(unconfirmed) Rumor is that these guys (located in Redmond, WA) supplied parts for Malibu for many years. The bonus for me was that I found a bunch of other parts I was looking for. Hope that helps!

**Edit - one of mine has a broken chain. I'm either going to get a second PVC cap just in case or look for a cable to replace the brittle chains... or just get longer chains and put the gas cap on the boat during fueling as mentioned above.

Edited by jonredcorn

The fun arises when you go to install the end of the chain inside the filler neck. unless there is enough chain available still hanging in the neck that is reachable, AND you can find a way to join the two said chains, you will have to pull the filler neck to get to the screw where the chain is supposed to attach. Most of the new caps will come with cable, but the same problem exists.

No gel damage from the cap smacking the side of the hull? I left mine hanging after fueling up at a gas station once and then

drove 45 min to the lake. Cap beat the snot out of the side of my boat but was still hanging by that chain!! In hindsight I wish the cap had fallen off immediately and saved me a few hundred in gel coat work....

No gel damage from the cap smacking the side of the hull? I left mine hanging after fueling up at a gas station once and then

drove 45 min to the lake. Cap beat the snot out of the side of my boat but was still hanging by that chain!! In hindsight I wish the cap had fallen off immediately and saved me a few hundred in gel coat work....

Seems to hit the rub rail on his boat.