Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heavy Vibration / Idle Speed Hard Right

kylegansel

Hey guys - my dad got a little shallow with my 05 response LX this weekend. Hit some small stones for a few seconds. I jumped under the boat and the prop looks fine. The Strut Bearing looks like it might be starting to go but I have a question. The boat seems to be driving the same but when I make a hard right turn at idle speed I get a heavy vibration (say when you're circling the rope to a skier). I don't get this with a hard left. Maybe it was there before and I'm now just noticing. I've kind of heard this might be typical on direct drive boats because the rudder is flat against the prop. Is this true and common or is it something I should be worried about and get checked out.

How much does it vibrate? Is it the whole boat or just the steering wheel?

Likely it was there before, and you just didn't notice. My response vibrates quite a bit when turning at idle speed. I am confident it is just water turbulence.

Not the whole boat, just a louder vibration near the rear. It's like you can literally hear the prop spinning and the rudder getting turbulence from the prop.

• 3 weeks later...

Took the boat in because my strut bearings were going. The last inch of the rear bearing was about completely gone. They think it was due to fishing line. Picked up the boat yesterday after both bearings were replaced and the vibration is gone. The vibration was probably because the shaft wasn't as snug in the strut and when I was making a hard right turn with the rudder perpendicular to the prop the shaft would wiggle slightly. Alignment is good and runs fine now.