Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cleaning and disinfecting question

toddrparr

My family and I just moved from the green pastures of Tulsa to the Houston area. I had the boat in a dry storage near lake Conroe and after about a week there we checked on it and found some mouse crap. We cleaned it out the best we could, put some decon around and called it good. We came back to take it out two weeks later and the mouse problem has escalated. There are not ant chewed wires or nests and I have vacated the unit. Any suggestions on cleaning up the mouse urine and crap, I really don't want to get the family sick.

Don't use bleach, it will mess up any and everything in the boat. I would pull out everything and use Lysol to disinfect the whole boat and be generous with it on the deck and in the bilge. It will work on the upholstery as well, just mix according to the instructions.

I would also suggest moving your storage unit further north to the Trinity river. Lake Conroe is all bulk headed and hard to find decent water... go 30 minutes north and you will find buttah and endless miles of riding enjoyment.

No matter where you store your boat at, you will notice field mice issue. If you are renting a unit, contact owner and let them know of the rodent issue. My landlord had traps set out and put poison in my unit.

Nature's Miracle is sold at all pet stores. It has enzymes that breakdown urine and will rid you of the smell issue. Also follow up with a carpet cleaning machine a few times over.....

I would also suggest moving your storage unit further north to the Trinity river. Lake Conroe is all bulk headed and hard to find decent water... go 30 minutes north and you will find buttah and endless miles of riding enjoyment.

No matter where you store your boat at, you will notice field mice issue. If you are renting a unit, contact owner and let them know of the rodent issue. My landlord had traps set out and put poison in my unit.

I moved it to my house in Cypress for the time being, we tried Conroe once, on a weekday, and that was enough. How is Sommerville? The Trinity looks great, are there hazards in the river to look out for?

I moved it to my house in Cypress for the time being, we tried Conroe once, on a weekday, and that was enough. How is Sommerville? The Trinity looks great, are there hazards in the river to look out for?

Never been to Sommerville. I have been to Trinity twice now and there is a Fall Bash occurring this month at Bethany Creek!!! on the main river, I have seen any obstructions (30ft deep seems average) except for floaters after rainfall. You should look into GCWA on facebook for the fall bash. If you would like more details, I will try to send later this week... PM me

Be careful cleaning that you don't use a shop vac and spew microscopic particles - hanta virus is in mouse droppings and causes severe/fatal pneumonia. Wear gloves and a good mask or respirator - not a bug to fool around with.