Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

safe to charge battery?

hiddenmenace

Does everyone leave their battery under that passenger cabin with the cover on all closed up while charging..

I have 2x marine sealed batteries brand new..

I want to know if its safe to charge with a 10 amp WALL charger with the cover on and all stored in the shed..

Edited by hiddenmenace

I do that all the time ... you are talking about a trickle charger correct? What about opening the area the batteries are so nothing gets too hot?

I also I don't put my charger directly on the floor/carpet as it gets warm.

it is a trickle charger.

the batteries are under the passenger storage compartment... With the boat cover on..

nothing is covering the batteries..

http://www.ctek.com/au/en/chargers/MXS%2010

https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/2/AACf7D4cSKlrgMtdsb1p_KmWQhbvzttDN6oOXg5a8h9G5w/12/181084471/jpeg/32x32/1/1441105200/0/2/received_10153679615403729.jpeg/CLfCrFYgASgB/PoK03OaSbu3Mmw33mMFXWqjQ9oWuhGW7Q4X7tR3Q1Hg?size=1280x960&size_mode=2

Edited by hiddenmenace

Actually, that C-Tek is far from being a simple trickle charger. Its a multistage smart charger that can be plugged in and left. I would question though, how you are charging 2 batteries with a single 1-bank charger.

Actually, that C-Tek is far from being a simple trickle charger. Its a multistage smart charger that can be plugged in and left. I would question though, how you are charging 2 batteries with a single 1-bank charger.

All you have to do is put the battery switch on both batteries and they will be connected.

All you have to do is put the battery switch on both batteries and they will be connected.

Thats my concern as it defeats the purpose of the switch as well as brings in parallel, two batteries that have likely seen different cycling.

In answer to the original question. Assuming you have the proper quality charger for the job then it would be fine to have it charging under the cover. I keep my spotter seat open with the cord for my procharger dual bank running out the vent in the cover.

• Like 1

Either way you are lucky you can just plug in and charge even if you do them separately. I have to pull the batteries out of the boat at storage, put them in the truck take them home and charge them individually.

I always switch the batteries to off when the boat is stored on the trailer. I wouldn't leave them on, what if some powerline surge/strike comes down thru the powerlines and through the charger into the boat? (I don't know much about electricity other than it can really cost you when it goes wrong.)

Oldjeep is spot on, switch needs to be off to make effective use of a dual bank charger. From an electrical standpoint, a single bank charger can recharge both banks when the switch is in the combine position, but its not the most ideal way to make use of a multistage charger over a long term. Id rather see the switch off and each battery profiled individually.

For the money, I would consider a 2nd C-Tek for the other bank.

Edited by MLA

Thanks guys i did further research. I foun d the charger should be able to charge two batteries.

And i have a 300amp continuous load on off switch attached to the two negatives that power everything.. and the negative from the other battery directly bolted to each other. So they should always be level. I am able to turn everything off; and charge the two batteries

Edited by hiddenmenace