Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1996 Response LX Rub Rail Replacement

Hi Guys,

I have a 1996 Malibu Response LX that is in need of rub rail replacement. The current rail is the factory rail which is the two piece black plastic with a black rubber insert. I have been quoted $950 - $1000 to replace it here at the dealer in St. Louis area which seems awfully high to me. Just curious what you guys have done, any place to order it and possibly put it one yourself, or any other suggestions you guys may have. Thanks for the info.

Check Taco Marine for rub rail and insert.

http://tacomarine.com/

Edit: If you are considering doing the install yourself, use the search function on this site to find threads like this one:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44015-replacing-rub-rail/?hl=%2Brail+%2Breplacement#entry632812

Edited by John I.
  • 3 weeks later...

I replaced the center insert of the rub rail on my 99 Response. I believe I bought it from the Malibu dealer. It is very stiff and coiled up when it arrives. Uncoil as best you can and start at the bow with the center of the insert length.

I used either a blow dryer or heat gun on low to warm it (a fine line between warm and melted) and a plastic mallet to hammer it into the receiver. A second person to help hold it up in front of you helps a lot. Just keep moving toward the back of the boat and around the corner at the stern. A flat screw driver can help pry it out into the locking grooves if you get aggressive with the mallet.

Plan for about an hour. Once you get the feel for it, it goes quicker and easier.