Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Port side amp for port side speakers?

minnmarker

I'm looking to upgrade the stock 20W rms per channel system by adding either a 4 channel 60W amp or two 2 channel 70W amps and run them off the preamp outputs on the existing head unit. Will upgrade speakers in the stock locations and go with larger gauge wires.

My question is: Is it better to run preamp RCA cables around the back of the boat or run speaker wire around the back of the boat? In other words is it better to make that run with RCA cables (two 2 channel amps - one on each side) or speaker wire (one 4 channel amp on starboard side)? Issues I'm thinking of are cross interference (with ECU, Perfect Pass, Etc.) and power/signal loss in the wires.

Alternately, is there a way to get wires across the boat without going back to the transom? Sunscape 21 LSV

Any advice? What am I missing?

I would rather have a shorter RCA and longer speaker wire. In the described scenario, there is zero benefit to running a port side and and starboard side amp. If you have 2 pair of speakers, go with the 2 chnl to drive both pair. If you think there is a chance that a 3rd pair might be added, then go with the 4 chnl. If one of the existing pair is dash mounted under the windshield, then go with the 4 chnl.

id bet there is a way to get under the walk way, but it its likely tricky. Other wise, go around bow as its shorter then around back. Port side is almost always the ideal spot for the amps.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any issue with running the RCA and speaker wires (from port amp to starboard speakers) right next to each other around the bow? Will the speaker wires introduce interference to the RCA signal?