Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Pressure Guage Fluctuates

I have a 2001, Wakesetter 23 LSV with a Indmar 5.7L MPFI Engine and I am concerned with the oil pressure because the gauge fluctuates between 40-80 psi during use. When I am idling, the pressure reads about 40 psi, which is what I would expect, but when I take off the gauge climbs up to 80 psi right away. A sales rep from the dealer I bought the boat from said this normal and nothing to be concerned with. The boat runs fine. Should I be concerned there is an issue, or is this normal?

The is normal.

The problem is the oil pressure gauges in cars and trucks made in the last 20 years. They basically function like idiot lights. The oil pressure gauges readout isn't linear on these, they basically hover around "high center" giving the driver a sense that everything is all right. Only if the pressure gets really low or high will they move significantly. Temp gauges have been given the same calming effect also.

So when a gauge actually functions as a gauge (like in you boat) it doesn't look right, but it is.

You will notice the pressure stays higher until the engine is good & warm too. If the needle starts bouncing up & down freely it will be your sender unit, which is cheap & a 5 minute fix.

• 3 weeks later...

I am grateful for this thread also!!! I am running 80PSI according to my gauge at rev and haven't had the time to start throwing parts or diagnostics at it. It's had 30 hours on it since I bought it without a problem- so I guess I should use that to calm my nerves also.

1999 Malibu Response LX 325 Monsoon