Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21 LSV Prop Replacement after clunk?

minnmarker

So there was a strong wind blowing towards shore when I put the lift down. While not paying attention the boat blew forward on the lift and put the prop right over the rear cross beam on the lift. Put it in reverse and CLUNK. Outer 3" of one blade was bent over 90 degrees! Pull the prop, take it to the garage and 15 minutes later of torch, hammer, and anvil I have a usable prop and saved the weekend. Can't tell any difference driving it but going to get a replacement or spare anyway. Rest of drive train seems fine and I could still rotate drive shaft by hand just by grasping the shaft without the prop on it. Whew!

Current (stock) prop is an ACME 381 (13.5 x 17.5) At WOT I'm hitting 5200 rpm (44 mph) so thinking of going to a bigger prop with same pitch but did not see any like that.

Wakemakers recommends an ACME 1941 (14.5 x 15.5), Bakes recommends an ACME 537 (13.5 x 16.0). Wondering if these might just result in higher WOT rpm without much benefit to low end or speed. Current prop seems to do fine for surfing at 10 mph with 750# on one side in back and 400# in front with 5 people on board. Does going to a lower pitch prop improve low end without too much speed sacrifice?

21LSV with Diamond hull and Monsoon 340.

Anybody have any experience or ideas with other props on this boat?

I have an 03 21LSV and I just took my stock 381 off and replaced it with a 1235. I am pretty blow away by the difference at slower speeds for surfing and wakeboarding. It handles the weight MUCH better. I don't ski, or go more than 35MPH much but I haven't noticed a significant difference in higher speed either. I will say I am spinning about 700 RPMs higher at the lower speeds.

I love the 1235 on my boat.

I have an 03 21LSV and I just took my stock 381 off and replaced it with a 1235. I am pretty blow away by the difference at slower speeds for surfing and wakeboarding. It handles the weight MUCH better. I don't ski, or go more than 35MPH much but I haven't noticed a significant difference in higher speed either. I will say I am spinning about 700 RPMs higher at the lower speeds.

I love the 1235 on my boat.

Thanks for the first hand info. If you get a chance, open it up and see how fast it goes. I would like to not loose too much speed at the top end. Do you have the Monsoon 340?

Are you on Lake Dunmore or way up on Carmi? I lived in Middlebury for a while.

So there was a strong wind blowing towards shore when I put the lift down. While not paying attention the boat blew forward on the lift and put the prop right over the rear cross beam on the lift. Put it in reverse and CLUNK. Outer 3" of one blade was bent over 90 degrees! Pull the prop, take it to the garage and 15 minutes later of torch, hammer, and anvil I have a usable prop and saved the weekend. Can't tell any difference driving it but going to get a replacement or spare anyway. Rest of drive train seems fine and I could still rotate drive shaft by hand just by grasping the shaft without the prop on it. Whew!

Current (stock) prop is an ACME 381 (13.5 x 17.5) At WOT I'm hitting 5200 rpm (44 mph) so thinking of going to a bigger prop with same pitch but did not see any like that.

Wakemakers recommends an ACME 1941 (14.5 x 15.5), Bakes recommends an ACME 537 (13.5 x 16.0). Wondering if these might just result in higher WOT rpm without much benefit to low end or speed. Current prop seems to do fine for surfing at 10 mph with 750# on one side in back and 400# in front with 5 people on board. Does going to a lower pitch prop improve low end without too much speed sacrifice?

21LSV with Diamond hull and Monsoon 340.

Anybody have any experience or ideas with other props on this boat?

While I have no empirical evidence, there is no doubt that a prop that steep plowing a surfboat with 2000#s in it is lugging more than with a prop swap. What would you be accomplishing going to a bigger prop with the same pitch? Given how you load and your top speed, I don't see what a bigger prop would do for you. It wouldn't lessen load on engine and it wouldn't increase performance. Now, you could go bigger with less pitch which think of that as headed (more) toward a granny gear. But then you would give up top speed if you're already hitting your limiter, if that matters, and will be running higher RPM but you'll feel a marked difference in how the boat feels coming out of the hole.

Current prop seems to do fine for surfing at 10 mph with 750# on one side in back and 400# in front with 5 people on board. Does going to a lower pitch prop improve low end without too much speed sacrifice?

If you're satisfied with the surfing performance of this prop, why not just get another?

A lower pitch prop might or might not change your max mph, but it will change your cruise mph. If you drop down to the 15.5 pitch prop (11% change) your cruise mph, for the same rpm, will drop 11% also. Say from 30mph to 27mph. This change is more important to me then top speed.

FYI, I have a 2006 21 LSV Sunscape with the LCR engine. Stock prop on mine was also the ACME 381.

I also damaged my prop while on my boat lift. And, I was also able to have mine repaired, but I purchased an ACME 537 as my spare/replacement.

Hole shot with the 537 is much more impressive (I have to remind my wife to take it easy on throttle with deep water slalom starts), and IMHO, the

537 is a better prop for surfing or wake boarding with extra ballast.

With no added ballast, the 537 gets me to 41 mph (not GPS verified) at the same 5200 RPM, vs. 44 mph at 5200 RPM with the 381. So, I don't

lose much top end speed with the 537. IIRC, my tachometer does run about 500 RPM higher at slalom speeds with the 537. But, getting on plane

with an additional 1200 lbs. ballast seems much more effortless.

I have no experience with the ACME 1941, though, so I can't offer any head-to-head experience on that one.

Thanks for the first hand info. If you get a chance, open it up and see how fast it goes. I would like to not loose too much speed at the top end. Do you have the Monsoon 340?

Are you on Lake Dunmore or way up on Carmi? I lived in Middlebury for a while.

I pinned it the other day and I don't remember exactly but I got over 42. I'll do it again the next time I'm out alone.

I'm on Lake Champlain. Malletts bay to be exact. It's beautiful.

I grew up closer to Dunmore, which is more like a pond :biggrin:

You can check some of my posts but to add to this I have an 01 vlx and took off the 537 in favor of an oj 905 I think it is the new model wake pro v 14.75 x 15.25 I slalom and wake board. I can do 32 at around 3400 rpm and 40 at 4500 rpm. I can hit 5000 or a tad more rpm if I let it but not sure of the top end speed. I'm a holeshot junkie though but like my slalom and cruise speed. It's hard to get both. I did not want a 1235 since most seem to only get 32 mph at around 3700 rpm.

• 4 weeks later...

To finish off this thread, after calling ACME and describing the situation I got the 537 and I'm very happy. Actually gained a little top speed so my damaged prop before was probably slipping quite a bit. The low-speed surfing performance is also excellent - very smooth.