Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 Malibu V Ride Manual Wedge Problems

Hi there! I have a 2005 Malibu V Ride with the Manual MLS and Manual Wedge, I also have Custom Surf Gates from Wicked Wake Surf Designs. During routine inspections I have always noticed the Wedge Foil has been a little loose on the Wedge Arms, Tried at one time tightening the screws and since they were seized didn't get too far into fixing it. We were out for Wake Surf Wednesday this last week and when pulling out of the water at the end of the evening noticed the Wedge had come loose from one of the arms and bent on the other arm. Under further inspection found the screws had sheared off on the one side and sice we were surfing Goofy the Wedge had bent the other arm in that direction. Did some research online and found this is a known problem as the bolts never seated fully from the factory and may of been a recall at one time?

Questions:

1) Do I replace the Wedge Assy with Original Factory parts? (Approx $800.00)

2) Do I bend the Arm back into Place and drill out and refasten using proper size Screws/bolts

3) Do i retro-fit to a Floating Wedge Design and is this Possible?

4) Do I custom Build New Arms to make an original Factory Setup or Custom build a Floating Design?

Its too bad its the end of the season as I want to get at least 10-15 more days in on the lake!

Option 2 is the least expensive,

Option 4 would be the most fun.

Option 1 would be my last choice.

FWIW I did a preemptive replacement of the screws and added a third to each arm. been good ever since, I did have to drill two of the four out.

I would replace with a floater. I did this on an 05 myself. They look better, perform better and virtually problem free.

Thanks Lance! Do you have any suggestions on which parts to use or where to get a kit from? If i Redesign my current setup using the same bracket off the boat can I still use the same wedge foil? would it make any difference if I use longer or shorter arms?

Option 2 is the least expensive,

Option 4 would be the most fun.

Option 1 would be my last choice.

FWIW I did a preemptive replacement of the screws and added a third to each arm. been good ever since, I did have to drill two of the four out.

Thanks REW !

I had the same issue with my manual wedge. I have the cad drawings for the manual wedge. for you last 15 days I would simply bend back to shape and enjoy the rest of your season. If you opt to repair, I highly recommend welding the arms to the wedge to prevent in future (did this on mine).

Upgrading to a floating wedge would be my choice in off season ;)

Thanks Lance! Do you have any suggestions on which parts to use or where to get a kit from? If i Redesign my current setup using the same bracket off the boat can I still use the same wedge foil? would it make any difference if I use longer or shorter arms?

It's a spendy mod because the parts are hard to find used. Anyway you need to source a bracket and unless things have changed that will be the hardest part because Malibu doesn't allow dealers to sell the bracket. You can buy the wedge arms and foil though.

I got lucky and Bakes had a used bracket and then I bought a new foil. Then all you need to do is decide if you want to reuse the hardware or buy new stainless hardware and make sure you use sealant so you don't have leaks.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson