Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Time for a new stick

onamission

Looks like it time for a new stick to go along with the new boat. Current ski is a “98” KD7000, I can’t believe it’s that old. Right now it’s a toss up between the D3 Custom 4 and the Sixam 1.1. Looking for opinions from anyone who has tried these skis.

While you're shopping, I'd check out the HO Monza. It seems to be working well for a lot of skiers. Only been on mine a couple of times this spring, but it is very responsive and seems to have a much bigger "sweet spot" than some of the their prior skis.

ALH

WSM just reviewed these skis, FWIW.

Jist of it is:

D3 is easy to ride, but not as fast as the others.

Monza is a rocket, but is sensitive to binding/fin set up.

Sixam is wicked fast, light, responsive, and good in rough conditions, but was too fast for some and fin clamp is a PITA.

I've read all the reviews on the skis and would like to keep HO skis out of the running. I have tried them and always seem to have problems with them. I've heard of the fin clamp problem with the Sixam, I don't make a lot a adjustments through out the year, so I could live with it. With finding time to ski the course with good to fair conductions, age and injuries I’m not looking to go much past 34.2 mph and 22 to 28 off.

my $0.02.

i ride goode. love it, fast, great edge.

i will never buy another goode until they start building something with an engineered fastening system.

sheet metal screws in carbon fiber is wrong. so wrong.

initial thoughts on the velcro type fastening system was "great".

long term : a.k.a. not a pro skier getting comped 6 setups a season (g it has to last longer than a season?) the bond between the double backed foam tape and the nylon interlock material broke down. the bond between the double backed foam tape and the ski (and/or binding plate) was great. interface at the nylon interlock material let go.

thankfully it let go while pulling my feet out of bindings and not while pulling my guts out on the course. would have been a yard sale to watch.

Looks like it time for a new stick to go along with the new boat.  Current ski is a “98” KD7000, I can’t believe it’s that old.  Right now it’s a toss up between the D3 Custom 4 and the Sixam 1.1.  Looking for opinions from anyone who has tried these skis.

I know you said you did not care for the HO.... But I went from your exact ski (KD7000) to my CDX and I jumped from barely running 32 off to 3 @ 38 off in one season. I did have to replace three Animal bindings initially, but they have that fixed. I like the CDX so much (I have tried many of the new skis) that I just bought another one from Wiley's just to keep around. They talked HO into a short production run of the CDX and they have a few available.

FWIW.

I'd say that you should stick to D3 based on the limited info you have provided on ski style. I do want to mention Carbonworx, I have tried the D3's and think that they are a little slower cross course than my Outlaw.carbonworx I ski more west coast style and couldn't get the Monza to "be all that" and same was true for the 6AM.

I'd say that you should stick to D3 based on the limited info you have provided on ski style.  I do want to mention Carbonworx, I have tried the D3's and think that they are a little slower cross course than my Outlaw.carbonworx  I ski more west coast style and couldn't get the Monza to "be all that" and same was true for the 6AM.

I didn't know that there was an east coast - west coast style, being from Detroit (The Lion's) we don't understand west coast thinking. :lol: I would say that I ski old school style, double boots, right foot forward, left palm down and neutral. I don’t really have a bad side and don’t tend to move around a lot on the ski, (I’m stating to do so now). Binding are moved 1 hole forward, fin is forward with the front a little shallow and 5 degrees on the foil. Turns are what they use to call tight craving, but if needed I can crank the turn to make up if I'm running late. The last time I took a lesson I was told about the only thing I could do to improve is ski the course more. Thanks so far on the info.

I'd say that you should stick to D3 based on the limited info you have provided on ski style.  I do want to mention Carbonworx, I have tried the D3's and think that they are a little slower cross course than my Outlaw.carbonworx  I ski more west coast style and couldn't get the Monza to "be all that" and same was true for the 6AM.

I didn't know that there was an east coast - west coast style, being from Detroit (The Lion's) we don't understand west coast thinking. :lol: I would say that I ski old school style, double boots, right foot forward, left palm down and neutral. I don’t really have a bad side and don’t tend to move around a lot on the ski, (I’m stating to do so now). Binding are moved 1 hole forward, fin is forward with the front a little shallow and 5 degrees on the foil. Turns are what they use to call tight craving, but if needed I can crank the turn to make up if I'm running late. The last time I took a lesson I was told about the only thing I could do to improve is ski the course more. Thanks so far on the info.

I guess that what I said didn't come across like I wanted it to. There is "old school, west coast and coordinates" for styles of skiing these days, each describe a manor in which the skier crosses the wake and sets up for a turn. I was trying to establish whether you turn more comfortably on the tail of the ski or whether it's more centered, and whether you prefer a snap turn or arcing turn. Those attributes determine what kind of ski will best suit your style. Given that you are riding a KD now, you would make a smooth transition to any ski with "rounded" bevels- not HO. D3 would be a great choice as they are very user friendly and easy to ride while being fairly quick. Carbonworx skis have round bevels and are easy to ride and get across course a little more quickly. Goodes are probably the quickest cross course ski but I've heard that they are tempremental and require a lot of tinkering to stay properly adjusted for water temps. KD's platinum has seen decent reviews but I haven't seen anyone ski well on one for myself.

I'm skiing the KD CR7 Titanium with the double vise plates. I love it. Now I am only a 32 off skier, so I cannot comment on how it handles at shorter line than that. But if you were happy with your 7000, you would really like the Titanium. It is plenty fast and very forgiving in the turns. One of my skiing buddy's has been on the HO Phantom for a couple of years now, and just can't seem to get it right. I have heard great things about the new HO, a very fast ski, sometimes too much ski unless your into 35 off & better. D3 probably would be my choice if I get away from KD. I've been skiing Kidder and KD for over 10 years. If I would swallow my pride and get some training help, I would be able to get into shorter lines. I've been into 3 at 35 off once last season, but it was real ugly.