Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PerfectPass trouble (04 VLX)

Hi everyone, at first I'd like to thank you all for every solution you gave me to all my trouble, but for now, I didn't find an answer...
Yesterday, I was on my 2004 VLX, and have encountered a trouble with the perfect pass system, let me explain.
As I reach the speed, once the perfect pass sound its 'beep'. The boat's speed fall instantaneously. If I push the throttle forward, it's feels like if the cable is broken. When I restart the boat, the throttle come back normal, but still feel loosen when the boat reach the speed I set on the perfectpass.
So I saw this part, with a knob to tight a small rope attached to the cable. It seems that the problem comes from this knob, which be loosen each time the perfectpass starts, even if I tight this knob by hand.
985667IMG20150830133317.jpg
Is anyone of you have already facing to this kind of issue? What can I do before to re-buy a complete perfectpass system (yes bad news, I'm french, and in France, suppliers always replace the complete system, and it will cost me almost $1500).
I'm pretty sure one of you have a tip for me :)
Thanks for your replies, and keep enjoy riding!
Seb.

during normal operation that stepper motor will run through a routine at key on.

it will attempt to tighten the cord then unwind then tighten and repeat maybe a half dozen times.

does your system do this check at key on?

Hum, I didn't pay attention to this...

As I'm at office, I will check that ASAP at the end of the day.

Do I have to ignite the engine to check that?

I'll let you know, but it anyway, thank you for your quick answer.

Hi, Seb.

It is normal for that PP actuator to 'cycle' when you turn on the engine ignition. (I now see tvano has posted similar info.)

It may be useful to understand that:

1. The PP actuator keeps the rope fully retracted and tight in normal, manual throttle operation.
  2. Your throttle lever sets the MAXIMUM throttle opening that can be achieved at any time.
  3. The PP actuator strives to maintain your set point by paying out some of the rope to reduce throttle opening as the set point is approached and will modulate the rope (spool it in and out) as required to maintain speed/RPM setting.

Not sure about what is happening with your system - are you saying the engine shuts down after set point is reached or does the throttle seemingly just drop off? Maybe you can observe the PP actuator while this is going on to see if the actuator is actually closing the throttle?

Regards, Stephen.

Edited by GreenMan

I had to clean the connections on my PP at the beginning of the season to make it work properly this year. Check out what GreenMan says above and also check the security of the electrical connections in the system. Usually just the motion from unplugging the connectors and plugging them back in again is enough to reseat the connection and make it work. If you can get some contact cleaner (available in most auto parts stores in the US) that will help as well.

Unless you relocated the PP servo assembly to take the picture, I would say your issue is the servo assembly has come loose from its proper mounting location. The assembly should be secured to the cooling water hose in the picture background by two hose clamps.

• Like 2

Unless you relocated the PP servo assembly to take the picture, I would say your issue is the servo assembly has come loose from its proper mounting location. The assembly should be secured to the cooling water hose in the picture background by two hose clamps.

That's an interesting observation although the actuator does not need to be mounted to anything to be effective assuming the cable isn't kinked etc.

Nevertheless, here is a picture of where it is mounted on my 2005 RLXI Monsoon 340. In your photo, it looks like one of the hose clips that is meant to mount your actuator is sitting all lonely on the cooling hose...

DSCN0271_zps337936fb.jpg

Edited by GreenMan
@GreenMan, the engine doesn't switch off, but I lose almost all power (the speed goes from 35 KPH to 5KPH). And I have no more power in the throttle. I have to push the throttle close to 85% of its race before to feel the propeller been actioned. Like if the cable between the throttle and the engine is completely loosen.

@Murphys, yes the servo was hold (with two clamps) to the hose, I just leave it to take the picture :) It looks the same as on you picture GreenMan.

So I'll try to go to the boat this evening, I'll clean the connections, and also see if something happen as I switch on the boat. And I'll try to get a video of how the servo works while reaching to the speed.

:)

Ok. So, maybe the actuator is reducing the throttle opening when it first approaches your set point but then, after that, not properly re-opening the throttle.

Your photograph shows that there seems to be corrosion around there - maybe the actuator cable is not operating smoothly? Can you check if the cable is free to move back and forth? Again, best thing may be to observe what is going on with the actuator motor and compare it with the throttle butterfly operation.

Hope you can properly understand what I'm writing!

Stephen.

Your symtons sound exactly the some to the problem I had with my PP a couple of years ago. The cause was a poorly crimped connector on the control unit behind the dash. Looks like it was poorly terminated in the factory, held on for a while and eventually went open circuit. Can't remember what colour wire it was now and as I'm currently half a world away from my boat can't have a look for you. It would definitely be worth checking all the connections to the controller as it sounds like your problem is exactly the same as mine.

I changed the keyboard of the PP a couple of month ago, so the 'connection trouble' might be a good way to look at. I will clean every connection of my PP.

I have to thank you all again for you replies, it's helpfull to me!

@Leakid: There are some video and printed troubleshooting guides on the Perfect Pass website. All in English but since they are located near Quebec, there might be some French literature available or French language capable if you call them and ask. They are very service oriented on the phone, and 6 hours behind France on the watch.

Also make sure the set screw on the knob of the actuator is tight. It may have enough tension to tighten rope up at start up but may not have enough tension keep the knob from spinning on the shaft under load

@Leakid: There are some video and printed troubleshooting guides on the Perfect Pass website. All in English but since they are located near Quebec, there might be some French literature available or French language capable if you call them and ask. They are very service oriented on the phone, and 6 hours behind France on the watch.

good catch woodski; pp is VERY helpful. give them a call.

The Servo Cable might be kinked as well. In your picture, the servo appears to be turned 90 degrees from where it usually lies, so I am curious as to how the cable is run. Post a picture of the top of the motor showing more detail if you can't figure it out. It definitely sounds like either a bad connection or bad servo. Neither case would require a whole new system.

Edited by Brodie
Hi guys, sorry for my late reply, I came back to the boat only yesterday.

So I did a test as shown on the Perfect Pass website:

- Unscrew the knob 3/4 counter clock

- Turn the key on

I saw the knob came back to its position

i did the same by putting my thumb on the knob, and it didn't turn, just vibrates. So I checked and cleaned up all connections around the servo. And now nothing works, even the step where the servo turn to keep the rope tight, it vibrates, and I can't use the throttle even if the PP is off :(

I didn't have my voltmeter with me to check the cable between the master module and the servo, so I have to do this before buying a new servo.

@Brodie, as you can see on this old pic, there's no more information on the other side of the part.

mini_376206IMG201505072009151.jpg

So I have another question, is there any way to disconnect the cable from the module to allow me to use the boat in a manual mode, just to ending the season awaiting a new servo?

To use the boat without PP, you only need to keep the servo cable 'inner' pulled tight. You could loosen the string off the servo motor shaft and secure it with almost one turn of the string under one of the motor mounting screw heads...