Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Suction cup surf gate?

Pkdude

Fit-up is pretty good. I guess my cardboard templates worked pretty well. Hope to try it out tomorrow. The government finally gave my son a day off. Water will be chilly but the sun will be out.

post-17431-0-35329300-1444675484_thumb.j

post-17431-0-26429700-1444675490_thumb.j

post-17431-0-87684300-1444675496_thumb.j

post-17431-0-36361500-1444675503_thumb.j

• Like 1

Fit-up is pretty good. I guess my cardboard templates worked pretty well. Hope to try it out tomorrow. The government finally gave my son a day off. Water will be chilly but the sun will be out.

Looks good. Please take pics of your wake with and without - also post ballast numbers, etc.

I can see how it is held in place but how do you keep it from twisting?

• 4 weeks later...

The first test was not so good. I forgot to take my bow ballast so we only had 750s in the rear locker and 400 pounds of belly ballast and full manual wedge. So i went over the top and, after studying the Nautique NSS, decided to try to copy that and make a backup flow wall also at the back of the device. The rear wall is 6" wide and I also made a 3" wide for the back. I hope to get out on Veteran's Day to test it out and will take my bow ballast too. A few pics of the mods with both walls are below.

post-17431-0-52569600-1446939809_thumb.j

post-17431-0-20579000-1446939816_thumb.j

post-17431-0-72834900-1446939825_thumb.j

PS-I figure of the NSS mod works the device can be a lot simpler. Other designs I researched said the closer you get to the transom, the smaller the disturbance has to be. That is why the NSS works with very small "wings."

• 9 months later...

Log time since lasts post. I made some mods to the device to keep water from blowing back into the rear locker by putting a piece of Starboard on the top. Tried it again yesterday, with full ballast in the belly, 1200# in the bow, and the wedge down. It worked better with only the rear locker on the surf side full and moving down to just below 10mph on the cruise control. Still could not get a pocket to hold up either me or my buddy who is a great beach surfer. I saw another post today that mentioned not putting the wedge down. So maybe one more test before bagging it.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you seen this:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/191951971794?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. One more test. Maybe i am not getting the device far enough down into the flowstream. I am modifying my device to attached with a suction cup to the side of the boat. Maybe get it built and tested this weekend or next week.

• 3 weeks later...

Version 5 (pics above) came off the side of the boat at about 3 mph. So I cut down the profile and made one with an angled board. Here are pics of versions 6 and 7. I hope to test them next weekend. This is likely my last straw with testing. Lots of Starboard leftovers have been swept off the garage floor.

IMG_2276001.jpg

IMG_2277002.jpg

IMG_2278003.jpg

29 minutes ago, Pkdude said:

Version 5 (pics above) came off the side of the boat at about 3 mph. So I cut down the profile and made one with an angled board. Here are pics of versions 6 and 7. I hope to test them next weekend. This is likely my last straw with testing. Lots of Starboard leftovers have been swept off the garage floor.

I've had good luck with one similar to you're angled version, stayed on at 18MPH (just to see if it would).