Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

bling light

wakebrdr94

So Fman had asked, and we took this project on yesterday

Post up a pic of your LED light method on the 22 VLX badge on side of the boat, its on my winter project list as well. Was that an upgraded item, It is on the promo boat.

22VLX_studio_close-up_plate_lowres_zpsyh

Edited by wakebrdr94
  • Like 1

during my stereo intall, I found a set of wires labeled "bling light" which apparently allow the badge on the side of the boat to light up. we tested the circuit and found it is connected to the under water transom lights, when you power those, the badge will light up. But, I did not get the underwater transom from the factory, hence no LEDs in the badge.

So we removed the badge from the side of the boat, there are two nuts on the inside of the hull that hold on the bolts (didn't take a picture of the inside, sorry)

7D1F287B-91F1-4C7A-9F1B-C8F9BBE59CD9_zps

833FF7E9-C346-448A-BCC1-DDDA55110EE4_zps

I bought a strip of waterproof LEDs that would go on the inside. If you look on the inside of the badge, there is actually a slot where the factory places the led on the top, then crimps them in. My strip was a litle bigger, so we removed that "seat" and just siliconed the lights into place

E1972DF4-D4B1-4EA1-84FD-3B647461A745_zps

903FDBFB-ED83-4BA0-949E-6E206094E719_zps

Just had to drill a VERY small hole to allow the LED power wires to enter the boat, siliconed all three holes and tightened the nuts back onto the badge to hold it back into place. connected the LED wires to the "bling Light" wire and done. I'll get a pic in the evening when you can actually see the light on

8DA5A3BD-1432-4C42-8C8C-52C17FE391CF_zps

Edited by wakebrdr94
  • Like 2

Which brand of transom lights did you get? (sorry for being slightly off topic)

I actually had a pair of AQ 8s that I meant to put on my last boat that I never installed

Very nice, do you have a link to what lights you purchased? I'm thinking I will wire them to be constant on, I think it looks too cool to only have them on during evening hours on water.

I bought them at pep boys, they were $16 bucks and already sealed and waterproofed. Since the wiring was already there, and I had already installed the transom lights, it was a no brainer. They're not very visible during the day, but I put red in, so much more visible at night in my case. I still need to get a pic in the evening, but my boat is still at the shop, too lazy to bring it home as I keep tweaking it

I actually had a pair of AQ 8s that I meant to put on my last boat that I never installed

I bought them at pep boys, they were $16 bucks and already sealed and waterproofed. Since the wiring was already there, and I had already installed the transom lights, it was a no brainer. They're not very visible during the day, but I put red in, so much more visible at night in my case. I still need to get a pic in the evening, but my boat is still at the shop, too lazy to bring it home as I keep tweaking it

Do you know what length was correct for fitting in the channel provided in the bezel? I see they come in 4,8,12" strips.

And did you just run it in the channel? What is the blue tape used for???

Edited by Fman

Very nice, do you have a link to what lights you purchased? I'm thinking I will wire them to be constant on, I think it looks too cool to only have them on during evening hours on water.

I would be leery of constant on unless you are going to do the port side red and starboard side green...

I think it only matters for "legal" reasons if you can see the lights while facing the boat (red and green for night driving). Not sure about when on the side, anyone know about this? I would take the risk, worse case is I unplug them and rewire. Plus, I like when the Sheriff visits us, always a pleasant, enjoyable experience :-)

boatlites.gif

I'm like NEVER out after dark. OK twice ever. Both times at lake almanor for 4th fireworks. In that case I would absolutely, positively want the lights to be correct (many many many morons on water ready to t-bone you in the dark, and very aggro sheriff ready to pull you over for any possible reason).

But if you are one of three boats pulling out at bullards right after sunset? Meh, prolly doesn't matter.

boatlites.gif

I'm like NEVER out after dark. OK twice ever. Both times at lake almanor for 4th fireworks. In that case I would absolutely, positively want the lights to be correct (many many many morons on water ready to t-bone you in the dark, and very aggro sheriff ready to pull you over for any possible reason).

But if you are one of three boats pulling out at bullards right after sunset? Meh, prolly doesn't matter.

My point was I don't think you can even see the lights when facing the boat head on, only from the side. They would do no good coming towards another boat.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks Great Guys!! I have an 07 Vlx and have an idea to incorporate somehow on mine got check on getting those 22Vlx badges first.

Not to get off subject but Wakebrdr94 do you have a link to where you got your underwater transom lights? I Really like those and would like to Upgrade mine. Thanks!!

• 3 years later...

Reviving a super dead thread..sorry ahead of time and fingers crossed someone is still around..

Is this plug in the stereo area of my 23 LSV one of the "Bling Light" plugs you found?

20190519-212627.jpg

20190519-212658.jpg