Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission problem....

Behindtheboat

I feel like I am having a really bad run of luck.....

Anyhow, 1998 Sunsetter VLX. Was out testing RideSteady speed control and was just about to pack it in and head back to the dock when....

Push the throttle forward, boat takes off and just before it plains out, lose forward momentum and a high pitch whine. Pull the throttle back to neutral but still have the high pitch whine. Shut it off and open up the engine compartment but don't see anything.

Restart boat and high pitch whine and nothing happens when you shift into forward (did not try reverse).

Flagged somebody down and towed back to the dock.

Have not had any time to really dig into it, but did start it again in the driveway.....High pitch whine (seems like it is coming from the transmission area, but hard to be sure). I checked the transmission fluid and it seemed fine. I did notice that there was no "suction" noise when I took the dipstick out (usually when loosen it I can hear the pressure equalizing). I checked the coupling between the V-Drive and prop shaft and all the bolts are there and the prop will spin by hand. Oil in V-Drive was at the right level and no discoloration.

So.....This sounds/seems like it is going to be an expensive proposition. I did some searching around but did not find anything that matched up to what I seem to be experiencing. Would the damper plate make this noise if it went? Would it cause you to loose gear shifting?

Hmmm....that's where I'm at so far. Any thoughts on things to check before I try to get an appointment somewhere to look at it?

Thanks,

Dan

The only thing I can think of is the linkages from the throttle to the transmission, make sure nothing slipped.

Thanks. Checked it....Sorry I forgot to mention that. It is still attached and shifting correctly. I did disconnect it to make sure it is sitting firmly in neutral when I start it to make sure it is not trying to engage the transmission while I think it is in neutral.

Damper plate?

That's crossed my mind, but did not hear anyone talk about high pitch whining or loss of the transmission engaging....would it going cause that? Anyway to see in there without having to separate the engine from transmission (maybe take the starter off and stick a camera up there?)

I think I would do just that before I pulled everything apart. You should be able to get a cell phone in the starter hole and snap a few photos of each side of the flywheel.

I think I would do just that before I pulled everything apart. You should be able to get a cell phone in the starter hole and snap a few photos of each side of the flywheel.

Tried cell phone, but the stupid things are too big now. :) Used an inspection camera and I did not see any obvious damage to the damper plate....No springs missing and nothing obviously broken. Anyway to manually test the transmission before I start ripping apart my boat?

Taking it into the shop on the 8th. I'll keep everyone posted. If anyone has any other thoughts or things to look/check before then I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dan

• 11 months later...

Dan,

Did you figure this one out? I am having the same issue but all the threads I see with people having similar issues never post the final result. If you see this could you let me know?

Thanks,

Ashley