Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Back to the Malibu (Axis) Family! Axis A20

Indyxc

Well,

After having owned a 04 Malibu Wakesetter, then a 06 Master craft X2, just put a deposit down on a 2012 Axis A20! :)

We sold our Mastercraft X2 mid summer, and the plan was to "downgrade". We looked at a bunch of boats, and actually had a deposit down on a 2003 Super Air Nautique 210. The boat had issues, so the dealer refunded our money on Thursday.

I went on the internet yesterday in the search again, and as luck would have it, and saw this at a local dealer:

http://www.skierspier.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=1477195&p=1&vc=ski%2Fwakeboard&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

One owner boat, good condition, 310 hours, with 260 hours under 1200 rpm!

Only options are plug n play ballast, board racks, which is exactly how I would option it. We want a no gimmick wake boat.

Really excited about it. With a good cleaning, it's ready to go. Put a deposit down, and doing a lake test Tuesday.

A couple questions:

Do the tower side legs fold under or over the tower hoop? I

How is the plug and play ballast setup?

There there are 3 tanks under the floor (2 rear, and 1 center) standard...

The plug and play, rear tanks overfill into the 2 rear bags?

Then front bag is on it's own pumps? Total of 4 fill and 4 drain pumps?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Welcome back, sweet looking boat!

Real quick just since I noticed, it appears one of the center rear speakers is broken...make sure to address that with the dealer.

As far as the PNP that's might understanding, the tanks overflow into the bags. Does it come with bags? And yes, 4 separate fill/drain pumps.

ahopkins22LSV

Very nice! I was just in there and I think saw you guys looking at the boat inside. I was giving them my drysuit to get the seals replaced and then I talked to them about the new VTX for a bit. Looks like a great boat!

Welcome back, sweet looking boat!

Real quick just since I noticed, it appears one of the center rear speakers is broken...make sure to address that with the dealer.

As far as the PNP that's might understanding, the tanks overflow into the bags. Does it come with bags? And yes, 4 separate fill/drain pumps.

Yeah I noticed that too. No big deal. I was able to get what I believe is a very decent price, so I'm ok replacing it. Besides, wife is unhappy that boat doesn't have a stereo besides the head unit and 4 speakers. I said NO PROBLEM. :rofl:

Yes, it has the rear 2 bags (400 each) and the front play pen bag already (950). So it's ready to go. Funny thing is they never used it for whatever sports. It had 28 hours between 3000 and 4000 rpm.

Ahopkins- Cool, yeah we were in this this morning for a while. I had to convince the wife somewhat, because she didn't love the boat. Hates the playpen seating, and the narrow access to the driver seat. Rest of the boat, she thought was fine. :) Did like the simplicity of it all.

Edited by Indyxc

Haha will do after the lake test.

For folding the tower down does the main tower hoop go down and the side legs over that? Are the side legs easily removableso they aren't folded into the inside?

Having so many hours under 1200 rpm, would this create problems being clogged with carbon.?

Maybe other fuel issues. Engines all like to get a good run to clear out the fuel & carbon gunk.

Check the specs on the operating RPM range & give it a good WOT water test for several minutes to make sure you don't have issues similar to the ones recently posted by bozboat

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/57029-fuel-injectors-cleaned/

The previous owner lived on the lake and probably just idled around the lake. They traded it in on a pontoon so it makes sense. The boat does have 60 hours or so over idle, and given it only has 2 seasons I'm not worried. I'm doing a full lake test and compression test. If it goes wot no problem I'm not worried.

And as funny as it sounds, I was excited to buy a Malibu again, so I could visit this forum more often. The Mastercraft forum is OK, the Nautique forum very slow, this one rules.

In some ways the forum is better than the boats.

• Like 3

Haha will do after the lake test.

For folding the tower down does the main tower hoop go down and the side legs over that? Are the side legs easily removableso they aren't folded into the inside?

Legs go down first and then hoop. Have a couple of towers handy to place under the legs. Good luck with the water test

Idax.. the tower legs are bolted to the outside of the tower. Do you lift the tower up and the clear the legs under the tower and fold them down? My salesman was brand new..

Well,

After having owned a 04 Malibu Wakesetter, then a 06 Master craft X2, just put a deposit down on a 2012 Axis A20! :)

We sold our Mastercraft X2 mid summer, and the plan was to "downgrade". We looked at a bunch of boats, and actually had a deposit down on a 2003 Super Air Nautique 210. The boat had issues, so the dealer refunded our money on Thursday.

I went on the internet yesterday in the search again, and as luck would have it, and saw this at a local dealer:

http://www.skierspier.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=1477195&p=1&vc=ski%2Fwakeboard&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

One owner boat, good condition, 310 hours, with 260 hours under 1200 rpm!

Only options are plug n play ballast, board racks, which is exactly how I would option it. We want a no gimmick wake boat.

Really excited about it. With a good cleaning, it's ready to go. Put a deposit down, and doing a lake test Tuesday.

A couple questions:

Do the tower side legs fold under or over the tower hoop? I

How is the plug and play ballast setup?

There there are 3 tanks under the floor (2 rear, and 1 center) standard...

The plug and play, rear tanks overfill into the 2 rear bags?

Then front bag is on it's own pumps? Total of 4 fill and 4 drain pumps?

Thanks!

I've got the same boat so I'll chime in.

The tower is pinned at the bottom of the support brace and folds up, and then outside of the the cross bar. So you lift the cross bar slightly higher than final height and then lift the support braces. It can be done by yourself, but you have to hold one brace up with some odd gymnastics.

The ballast system includes a 200 lb tank in each rear corner and a 400 lb tank in the center. The PNP bow bag is completely separate of the center tank. It has it's own fill and drain pumps. For the rear PNP bags I use 750s. This leaves some head space in the locker so some go a little bigger. I wouldn't go smaller if you want to surf. In my case I fill the tank which then overflows to the bag. This allows the fill times to be as low as possible. It also means there is a drain delay, as the tank will drain to the lake faster than the bag will drain to the tank. Just means you have to drain and wait a few times to ensure you are entirely empty.

The boat will appreciate a little extra bow weight if you run full 750s or greater in the lockers. If I have a 4 person crew I have the 4th ride in the bow. Otherwise I've got an on-seat bow bag for a little extra weight. Also, I know others throw a little lead in the pickles by temporarily removing the vinyl panel between the bow speakers. We generally don't use the wedge. I think it does make the wake peak a little more than ramp, but it really seems to drop the fuel economy.

Finally, I've had no problems with the single axle trailer, no worries there with a spare. And, I've seen, on the other Axis message board, someone who painted the windshield trim white. I think that would look awesome on your boat.

Enjoy.

Edit - The wakeboard wake is wide, you may find that you want to run 5' in from the line length you have used on previous boats.

Edited by wtstapel

Thanks guy.

Wstapel- On your boat does the rear of the tower then rest on the vertical sunpad? Or do you put support under it?

The only other slightly concerning thing I figured out from the dealer service records, is the boat had basically one oil change at the end of the season.

Doing the Math, it comes out to be about once every 100 hours. Not terrible, but not greatly. I guess 260 of those hours were no load, so I'm ok with it.

Yeah I'm excited. She just needs a good cleaning, and should serve me well.

Thanks guy.

Wstapel- On your boat does the rear of the tower then rest on the vertical sunpad? Or do you put support under it?

The only other slightly concerning thing I figured out from the dealer service records, is the boat had basically one oil change at the end of the season.

Doing the Math, it comes out to be about once every 100 hours. Not terrible, but not greatly. I guess 260 of those hours were no load, so I'm ok with it.

Yeah I'm excited. She just needs a good cleaning, and should serve me well.

I put my tower down in the driveway and place my throwable under it as the tow point actually ends up pushing into the vinyl on the back rest. It doesn't reach the sunpad. Then in the garage I've got a rope system to keep everything off the vinyl.