Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 22 VLX questions

I just picked up a 22VLX with the 6.2L engine. I opted to do the boat prep myself as opposed do having the dealer do it. They wanted $1500 for it. I figured i'd be fairly easy and get me more familiar with the boat. The plug kit came with 3 plugs, and 2 small plastic blue plugs. Obviously there is the rear drain plug, one on the front of the transmission, and there is one that has a handle on it, not sure where that one goes. I assume that went into the hull somewhere, but cant figure out where. As far as the blue plastic, it went in the T connector for the cooling system, but is there another place for the other one, or is it just an extra?

Thanks for the help ahead of time! I'm excited about the new boat... I came from a 2012 Centurion 23ft.

Should be one more under inspection plate in center walkway. Its under the carpeting, black cover on it. You should have two T handle drains and one plug in rear transom.

Congrats on the new vlx, great boat!

Look under the hull for holes, there will be another drain plug to take the brass T plug as this will be the mail drain plug.

Doing the dealer prep yourself, the warranty still applicable or voided?

$1500 to put some plugs in? That seems insane no matter how much money you have. I'd be doing it myself too. What else does "dealer prep" entail?

Batteries

Hoses

Software updates (so you have the latest one when your boat leaves the dealer)

Putting the tower together

Bimini

Tires onto trailers in some cases

Etc....

Just to name a few, plus all the other things the factory doesn't do that the dealers need to do to make the boat ready and presentable. Whether you pay for it or not, the dealers have done some prep to the boat, before you've even seen it. Unless of course they let you open a shrink wrapped boat.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good DIY as much as everyone, but pretty sure you'd have been upset if they sent you home with a boat that you really, had to prep. Or an old software file with a known glitch.

Aside from all that, you have a hell of a boat that you are going to LOVE!

Edited by wakebrdr94

What all we're picturing is that you have now branded yourself as needing no attention at your dealer. You're now at the bottom of the list for any repair or service since you do everything yourself (even if you don't know what everything is).

I'm astonished that your dealer even considered deleting his prep. He'll have to defend himself when something goes wrong after you did it incorrectly and call Malibu to complain.

And you didn't say where you live, but it's possible that part of that $1500 fee goes toward making sure that he even has a mechanic around during the fringe season. I can't imagine trying to run a dealership in a place like Michigan, where it's frantic in the summer and dead in the winter. How do they keep employees around?

How did you get them to drop the dealer prep anyways? That sounds like an interesting conversation. And did your boat come with batteries?

Also, isn't freight normally part of the same line item as prep?

Edited by oldjeep

The dealer is a friend and i got the boat discounted. I've done the prep on my previous boats, none were mailbu's. Dealer prep included the batteries, all the plugs, assembling the towers, bimini, ect. Yeah i live in Chicago. So our season is short, and I didn't want to wait the additional week for them to prep this thing.

Gary, 94- you guys need to take a chill pill, let the guy be. If you don't want to help him, bounce out, straight trolling.

100% legit questions by a guy trying to save a few $$. And if the dealer treats him like crap after selling him a boat and making $7-10k, they aren't a good dealer to begin with. I guess the same with stereo delete? Dealers hate those guys?

OP, you said blue plugs? Post up a pic?

I've not prepped or closely looked at a raptor (nor have many on here, if any). I'd suggest posting in the moomba and supra forums as theyve run the raptors for a year and anyone who has winterized one will be able to ID.

As to the second T handle, should eb for the "front" bilge. you should see an access door in the floor.

Gary, 94- you guys need to take a chill pill, let the guy be. If you don't want to help him, bounce out, straight trolling.

100% legit questions by a guy trying to save a few $$. And if the dealer treats him like crap after selling him a boat and making $7-10k, they aren't a good dealer to begin with. I guess the same with stereo delete?

Says This guy. Stereo delete is way different than a prep, and many dealers like it because many dealers will install aftermarket equipment building their margins. You think only car audio shops where putting on REVs and Exile? Edited by wakebrdr94