Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why 2016 Wakesetter LSV over MC X30

teamG

Well Bama...at least in 2013, MC's vinyl was superior. How about all the little things like wiring under dash, the backing used behind rear lockers, floor used in sub-flooring, attached wind screen...

ah yes, they rattling wind screen.... no, I don't miss that thing vibrating and rattling while going across the lake. As for the sub floor, I never had any problems with the sub floor in either the MC or the Malibu. The MC wiring was neater than the Malibu.

^^^ So you pick the X30 over the Bu cuz you're worried about pulling toobers from the G3 tower...?

I cant comment on MC tower to know if it could pull tubers =) Now if we could only throw a Nautique tower on a Bu!

but no i'd still go with a Bu as i feel you get more all around goodies for the price,

MC has a lot of investors to pay out to these days, that profit has to come from somewhere...

My only point is if your paying 100+ grand whats a few more grand for the better tower, i mean seriously how old is the G3 tower? Yea it works well for "what its intended" for but it rests on the window-chips the window paint, you cant drive if its down, its heavy with all speakers and gear and its near difficult to unscrew the knobs hold it in place or reinsert the screw knobs etc. i'm just saying the NEW tower is a simple lever like the competition and much easier/nicer/cleaner/functional/stronger. Also i would hope at some point malibu just ramps up their production volumes on the newer tower to lower cost and make it Standard. seems a bit crazy to have "tower options" to add to the confusion of options when boat purchasing IMO.

i do like MC/Naut reverse seating. but like the constant innovation from Malibu and again IMO i feel you get more all around everything for the money.

Edited by The Hulk

The G4 tower is pretty sweet. I'm inclined to go with the white one -- clean looking and hopefully that finish will hold up. Tested the folding option the other day and very nice.

Reverse seating is genius on the MC; however, once on the water we found it to be obnoxious to maneuver around the boat -- took up all the room in the middle for the most part.

Wow Hulk, you think the G3.2 is a "a joke"!!

Not on my boat. I think it is good looking in a kind of elegant way (and doesn't look like it was inspired by a 'Transformer'), is plenty stiff enough for us (what do people do with these towers to find them flexing so much?), works well with our Bimini, and allows a tower fit mirror which I much prefer over a screen mount.

Not saying there aren't better ones out there, but I think the hyperbole is bit over done to call it a joke.

yea it looks good but they are a bit flimsy compared to "some" competition. again it works.

when you cruise at 20-35mph across chop... boards, speakers, bimini you will see the whole tower shake/rattle/sway an inch or so, makes me cringe so i slow down at times. its not just my boat i've been on numerous bu's ... its simply the tower design, too many bolts and nuts at structural points instead of a solid 1-piece arch design etc.

The G4 tower is pretty sweet. I'm inclined to go with the white one -- clean looking and hopefully that finish will hold up. Tested the folding option the other day and very nice.

Reverse seating is genius on the MC; however, once on the water we found it to be obnoxious to maneuver around the boat -- took up all the room in the middle for the most part.

yea the white has grown more and more on me for the tower its sharp! never thought about the reverse seating issue when on the water but good point!

I would love a tower mirror for the G4 tower if they have or come out with one that way it wouldnt shake as much as on a G3 tower! hopefully they have the bimini options worked out for the G4? a tower mirror for that thing would be sick!

yea the white has grown more and more on me for the tower its sharp! never thought about the reverse seating issue when on the water but good point!

I would love a tower mirror for the G4 tower if they have or come out with one that way it wouldnt shake as much as on a G3 tower! hopefully they have the bimini options worked out for the G4? a tower mirror for that thing would be sick!

G3 is pretty well known for being one of the most rock solid towers. You are one of the few people that I have ever heard say that it shakes that bad. Maybe yours is not on correctly? It has also been discussed that if you load the tower up with speakers that you need to change out the tower strut. I did that when I put on Rev 8 towers and never had a problem raising or lowering the tower easily. ON my 2011 VLX, the lowered tower would rest on the dash. Has this been fixed on the new VLX?

Off topic, but whatever happened with your boat and motor? did it get replaced or did you move on to another brand?

+1 for G3, solid tower, I'm 200 lbs and can do pull ups on it and it won't budge. In heavy chop at 25-30 mph any tower will flex a little, at least I have yet to see one that did not do this. Hulk, I would check and make sure those knobs are fully tightened with allen wrench and have someone apply upward pressure on tower when doing it. I've had 3 different g3 towers and all of them have been solid.

G3 is pretty well known for being one of the most rock solid towers. You are one of the few people that I have ever heard say that it shakes that bad.

It's actually really easy to see the movement in the tower. Load it up with tower speakers and boards, then sit in the bow looking backwards while someone drives over some wakes/chop/double up. Tower will move a lot. not sure how that could really be up for debate. It's not noisy, but the lateral movement is visually really obvious.

I took delivery of a 2016 Wakesetter 25 LSV about 2 weeks ago, and absolutely love it. I can't compare it to a MC, as I have never owned one, although I have ridden a few. The G3.2 tower does not shake, rattle, roll at least on my boat. Med to Heavy chop, perhaps one of the smoothest rides I have ever been on. I haven't noticed any movement in the tower period and it lowers just fine for my purposes. Rear facing jump seat is awesome for viewing/filming riders, plenty of storage elsewhere. Upgraded upholstery is a snap to clean and take care as well.

I am a Chevy guy, but I must say the Raptor engine is nice.

The screens work well, even in bright sun, no issues at all.

Most importantly, is a built in trash can!! You know it's true!!

Literally my only complaint is that the built in cooler (Igloo with a Mailbu sticker on it) doesn't have a drain plug on it.

My local Malibu dealer was in TN at Malibu a couple of weeks ago and I asked him to ask that specific question: Tower mirror arm for the G4??

The answer from TN was no, no tower mirror for the G4.

All 3 of my G3 towers rested on dash area when folded, never heard of one hitting the windshield when stowing. It would never drop low enough if it hit the windshield. Almost sounds like it is way out adjustment or was mounted incorrectly on the top deck.

Edited by Fman

G3 is pretty well known for being one of the most rock solid towers. You are one of the few people that I have ever heard say that it shakes that bad. Maybe yours is not on correctly? It has also been discussed that if you load the tower up with speakers that you need to change out the tower strut. I did that when I put on Rev 8 towers and never had a problem raising or lowering the tower easily. ON my 2011 VLX, the lowered tower would rest on the dash. Has this been fixed on the new VLX?

Off topic, but whatever happened with your boat and motor? did it get replaced or did you move on to another brand?

it seems all bus i've been on in chop the tower shakes waaay more than a Nautique tower which doesnt budge. its strong enough sure im just saying for 100+K it shouldn't budge! haha it is what it is...

i asked about the gas-spring shock whatever and they said thats just how it is when you have all speakers and such its just heavier...i will have to check if a new one fixes that and or if there is a heavier duty/rated one anyone have input on these and or the physical specs/sizes/ratings perhaps i could look online.

boat: thankfully Dealer took care of it, New Super Charger, EXT, and some other stuff....Running good tops out around 53mph with bimini up and 3ppl in the boat! i've probably got an hour or surfing "myself" this summer so far...bummer not been a good year perhaps i'll be able to make it to lake this weekend for a run!

Interesting to me how the g3 resting position varies by model. Hulk says his hits the windshield, others have said dash, in my vtx it hovers over the steering wheel.

it depends also on the slider bimini model you have, i'll snap a pic when i go to lake this weekend "hopefully" but as i recall the bimini is what hits/chips the windshielf, i might cut a piece of EVA foam to put there but frankly i never put the tower down anymore so i dont care much, been close with all the rain in the beg of the summer there is a bridge but i had a whopping 2" clearance from the dome light going under when the water was high: G23's couldnt' make it! haha they had to lower and several lost their dome lights! i guess one could fill up with a little ballast to sink her right under if need bee assuming you remember in time! haha.

i know malibu makes a different cross bar which is NOT curved so that when you lower tower you have more clearance they have to use them on a nearby lake with a lower bridge. when you lower the current G3 tower you would think you gain a lot but in fact you dont because the curved bar then curves UP so i think you only get 1.5ft or so more clearance with tower down, dont quote me on that but its not what you would think.

regardless if you had to lower tower and drive on a Bu its difficult compared to other brands, i want to see the G4 tower if you can actually drive with it down or can you not even sit in drivers seat? MC folds backwards no issues driving with down tower.

Again this does not matter to "ME" much since i dont have to ever lower tower. but if you did a lot it would be a PIA.

its nearly 2016 how come these things are not hydraulic yet? come on malibu!!!

My local Malibu dealer was in TN at Malibu a couple of weeks ago and I asked him to ask that specific question: Tower mirror arm for the G4??

The answer from TN was no, no tower mirror for the G4.

cant be that hard to just get a piece of 1/2" aluminum and mill one out and bolt it onto the G4 somewhere or clamp on, someone with a few beers and a CNC should be able to whip and arm out pretty easily.

its nearly 2016 how come these things are not hydraulic yet? come on malibu!!!

Are you not familiar with MC's attempt at a power tower? Wonder why its no longer offerred? I actually thought it was discontinued but it still is! Wonder why no one buys it?

Edited by 85 Barefoot

i know malibu makes a different cross bar which is NOT curved so that when you lower tower you have more clearance they have to use them on a nearby lake with a lower bridge. when you lower the current G3 tower you would think you gain a lot but in fact you dont because the curved bar then curves UP so i think you only get 1.5ft or so more clearance with tower down, dont quote me on that but its not what you would think.

The garage clearance hoop for the G3 gives you 5" more clearance than the standard hoop. Once you have that hoop the base of the folding part of the tower is the highest point on the tower.

I heard there were issues with the first gen ones but who knows now... probably nobody but the MC mgt. has em. I can't imagine why in the world it's 17k it's the same price as a fully loaded hydraulic boat lift! Must be bedazzled in Swarovski

For that you could hire a kid to come along to raise and lower your tower for you each time and be a lot of money ahead.

It's not always about money. Sometimes it's more about "I can afford it and you can't."

Hey Hulk... seems you're the new subject matter expert on Bu towers. Just one correction for ya. It's not the G3's fault you can't lower your tower below the windshield. It's the bimini you're running. The tower itself does not hit the windshield.

If you'd upgraded to the Great Lakes bimini it wouldn't be an issue.

Btw... I have a G4 tower, and I love it. But I owned three G3 towers on different boats. I never had any of the issues you describe. It's a solid tower and I'd happily own one again.

Now, back to which is better: Coke or Pepsi, cuz that's what these two boats are.

• Like 3