Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why 2016 Wakesetter LSV over MC X30

teamG

Where is Doc Phil when you need him? Doc, you still out there!? Seems like he DFO'd, have not heard from him in last few days.

He has had both of these boats and could give you a good comparison between the two.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2

Start with the actual dealership. Are they both close and if so do they both have good reputations. If they do then provide more information. What are you looking for wakeboard, surf, both etc.

Both are 10 mins from my home. Great dealerships. I hear that the MC is top notch when it comes to service. We love the surf, ski, wakeboard, but really looking more at integrity of the machine. 2016 now coming with 5 yr warranty, which is great to match the MC. However, I'm really interested in other Malibu owners perspective on their boats... i.e. solid build, any major issues consistent across owners vs minor stuff that is typical with water rec.

I'm actually shopping for a 2015/2016 LSV. Current VTX owner (2014) that has spent extensive time behind the X30 as well since my good friend owns one. We basically just split our sessions with each boat. The x30 has a surprisingly good ski wake for a 23 foot boat but if you get the diamond hull on the LSV it is probably better. The MC is very well constructed but so it the Malibu. The Gen 2 wave definitely diff than the SG wave. But again both are good.

I like the new Gen 2 software that allows the wave to be shaped more but transitions are much better on SG. We like to use he mellow wave setting on Gen 2 with kids and lighter people who are learning so they don't just get pushed into the back of the boat. I'm really not sure if surf band will allow more shaping.

I think the Malibu boats handle better but that is not a big deal in you are going 10.6. The power wedge makes a cleaner edge for wake boarding than the Gen 2 set up but we don't really wake board. You also sit deeper in the x30 which is nice on bigger water. That true even on the LSVs I have demoed.

They are both fine boats but it comes down to styling for me. I prefer the current Malibu look over the MC design and the 5 year warranty really evens things out. Also consider Malibu has gone gauge less (screens only) where MC you still have full set of traditional gauges as well which I like as back up.

Both boats are no-nonsense wake machines, that excell as crossovers probably better than any other boats out there. Very few boats that can put out top notch surf and wakeboard wakes, and remain pretty well skiable. Both are super easy to setup, and balance. Push the button and go. My only beef with the LSV, is the amount of front ballast needed to keep the bow down while surfing. Whereas, A couple lead bags in the bow of the X30 is all that is needed. Not really a big deal though. It's pretty easy to get the LSV set up with appropriate bow weight.

Ultimately, both are great choices. In my opinion, it is really just a choice of-

1) which boat makes you feel more warm and fuzzy

2) which dealer do you think will take care of you better.

It would be hard to lose either way.

• Like 2

Both are great boats, no doubt. I demoed a x30 and the surf wake had tons of push with gen 2 and 750's in the back. Loved the interior and clamping board racks, but the bow rise, even at wakeboarding speeds was a deal breaker for me.

Both are great boats, no doubt. I demoed a x30 and the surf wake had tons of push with gen 2 and 750's in the back. Loved the interior and clamping board racks, but the bow rise, even at wakeboarding speeds was a deal breaker for me.

That is one thing that seems to escape the setup on the X30. People swap the rear bags out for bigger ones, and do nothing with bow weight. 750s in rear = 300lbs lead up front. With that setup, the bow is down where it should be. If using the stock rear bags, no lead is needed up front.

If DocPhil were here I think he'd say the X30 is way better in chop and handles like a barge and the LSV handles like a racecar but will beat you up in chop.

X30 has deeper v than LSV. Neither is going to be an MB or Supreme (more exaggerated v hull) through chop.

That is one thing that seems to escape the setup on the X30. People swap the rear bags out for bigger ones, and do nothing with bow weight. 750s in rear = 300lbs lead up front. With that setup, the bow is down where it should be. If using the stock rear bags, no lead is needed up front.

I hear you. I had the dealer set in the front and it helped a little, but then again he's skinny.

This is a royal rumble between the two. Been in the X30, but not the LSV. I look at the new tower, improved vinyl, and awesome Dash....and the Win goes to the LSV.

I do love the hips on the X30! It sits in the water like no other boat. It's also an awesome boat. I think I do prefer Surfgate over the 3 trim tab system MC uses. Both are TN boats, and I love that too.

I haven't owned a X30, but I did own a 2013 x2, 2011 VLX, and 2013 LSV... so I feel I can at least speak to the quality aspect between the 2 brands. As for quality - I think they are even. I don't get the whole aura about how much better quality the MC is. I think that is just the mess that the dealerships engrain in the customer to make them pay more. MC does some things different than Malibu and vice versa - neither boat is having major catastrophic issues or customer satisfaction issues. Both are quality rides that have track records of performing great. Both manufacturers have handled warranty claims for me without any issues. Go with the one with the best price and dealer.

Heading out this week on a new 2016 23 LSV -- Monsoon 6.2L (they say its the new Ford Raptor... 30% more torque over the previous chevy block) -- G4 tower, and the wrist surf controls.

MC X30 later in the week -- ILMOR 6L --

Not going to lie, I get more excited about the look and setup of the LSV. I love the fabric and interior style of the MC, but exterior and extras go to LSV.

• Like 1

Seems like he DFO'd, have not heard from him in last few days.

.... something to that effect. :/

I'm sure I can get the gist of his opinion between the two floating in here one way or another.

His biggest vote would be "go with the dealer that will take care of you best."

I haven't owned a X30, but I did own a 2013 x2, 2011 VLX, and 2013 LSV... so I feel I can at least speak to the quality aspect between the 2 brands. As for quality - I think they are even. I don't get the whole aura about how much better quality the MC is. I think that is just the mess that the dealerships engrain in the customer to make them pay more. MC does some things different than Malibu and vice versa - neither boat is having major catastrophic issues or customer satisfaction issues. Both are quality rides that have track records of performing great. Both manufacturers have handled warranty claims for me without any issues. Go with the one with the best price and dealer.

Well Bama...at least in 2013, MC's vinyl was superior. How about all the little things like wiring under dash, the backing used behind rear lockers, floor used in sub-flooring, attached wind screen...

Edited by Afun

consider the tower , i think last i saw the x30 tower folds back while Bu tower folds fwd. difficult to drive a Bu with tower down under a bridge if you have to do such things. or consider if you will have to put tower down/up to go into your boat lift or store it, typically this is fixed with newer boat lifts with deeper canopy drops and or side extensions to older canopies.

Also if getting a Bu i would recommend the NEW tower even if it costs more. from what i hear its far easier and more sturdy. All the G3 towers 1st gen 2nd gen IMHO are terrible for a boat that price!! IMHO its a joke... They shake and wobble especially more than other boats when driving in chop. At times i worry...and slow down thinking thats a lot of shaking but in looking at the design you can see why. the G3 tower is hinged at the front and the screw knob is only about 6-8" back from the hinge point not offering much lateral strength. so the front to back support in other words is only about 6-8" width (not much) so dont put to much side force on a G3 towre such as a "tubber".. some of the vertical connection points are not solid welded and screwed together, while they are plenty strong enough they wont be as solid as somehting like a Naut. tower where its welded all the way down to hinge point or (1-piece) vertically etc... The upgraded G3.2 uses latches and i'm not sure if there is an "aligning" pin or not on those, if not then it would be even weaker than 1st gen. Lastly the Center point of a bu tower would be fwd of where it mounts to the haul while the MC is more centered or slightly toward the back. So if you have a bunch of teenagers that like to hang from the tower like monkeys you better with a MC since its more centered over where it mounts tot he haul like the nautiques. The bu yea it can hold up but depends on their weight but not recommended . Anyhow consider if you are wakeboarding and doing any double ups i'd be worried with a G3 tower. Anyhow for the price i would test all of them before deciding. and i would def get a NEW TOWER option with the Bu it looks and feels so much better!!!

I know MC has issues years back on their towers but i think they have come a long ways, i cant confirm how their new tower shakes or does not shake in chop as i have not been in any of the newer tower boats lately. i can tell you a bu G3 tower is a joke compared to a Nautique tower. In other words i wouldn't dare pull a tubers from a Bu G3 tower but a Naut. tower will hold up (still not recommended) but a far sturdier tower and people have been pulling tubers with those towers all over our lake 2-3 tubes driving like crazy since those towers came out and NO issues..., i hope to demo a Bu with the new tower to compare on the next upgrade in a year or two as i cant pull myself to buy a G23 since we do a little of all watersports and cruising. the X30s look nice! but i personally do not like the haul (side view) near the back it looks like the boat is being "kinked" thats just my opinion on the looks though.

Fiberglass: Malibu is far weaker/thinner in many locations than a Nautique i cant comment on MC in this area. so a Nautique will feel sturdier than a Bu again i dont know about MC so check such things as seat-support areas, dash etc. Both are probably similar. and i dont think many people worry much about this. Bu's are great boats and i feel you get more "all around" everything for your money vs the MC/Naut at least in the 2012-2014 years IMO. I havent had a chance to look at the Bu 2015 hauls to see if they are more sturdy than the previous years so i'm anxious to take a closer look at the boat shows this year.

i would go with above advise on dealership / service/ price/deal/ and preference on the ride feeling better in chop or more sporty feel.

for the price i would highly suggest testing them all for a bit with local dealer.

I had my heart set on a G23 and tried surfing the "stock ballast" wave and could not surf, granted it was a bad beat up surf board but that shouldnt have mattered, then i tested a Bu 23lsv and as well could not surf the stock wave (no PNP) and it was similar to the G23 stock. so being told the G23 didnt need anymore weight i was like ummm but i couldnt surf... i knew plenty well the Bu's needed PNP to surf as well so regardless without going into a lot of detail the $40k less made sense at that point especially since i like to break out the ski every once in a while. in the end i ended up buying barely used for a deal i couldn't refuse with the engine upgrade.

anyhow my 2cents.

Edited by The Hulk

Wow Hulk, you think the G3.2 is a "a joke"!!

Not on my boat. I think it is good looking in a kind of elegant way (and doesn't look like it was inspired by a 'Transformer'), is plenty stiff enough for us (what do people do with these towers to find them flexing so much?), works well with our Bimini, and allows a tower fit mirror which I much prefer over a screen mount.

Not saying there aren't better ones out there, but I think the hyperbole is bit over done to call it a joke.

• Like 3