Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speedo and Tach Not Working

Hi, I'm looking to buy a 2004 Malibu VLX. The current owner says that both the speedo and the tach doesn't work and that he's only been using the perfect pass when they went out. He mentioned that the entire gauge cluster might need to be replaced to fix it. Can anyone tell me how involved it is to get these fixed, or about how much it would cost if I brought it to a shop?

I just want to know what I'm getting myself into with this purchase.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

i wish i had an answer for you IntegraRC but i'm only a tech in training :dontknow:

so i havn't gotten into anything so deep.

I'll see if i can ask one of my co-workers who have been working on Malibu's for years

piglett

if the tach is the upper half of a combo gauge that includes single line pp display on the bottom it's likely a corrosion problem that is often fixable.

check out the paddle wheel input to the speedo. spin it and make sure it has all of the lobes on the spinner. key on then spin it to see if the display reflects the movement.

Thanks for the reply, tvano.

The paddle wheel is probably ok because the PP still works (I'm no boat expert but I think it uses the same instrument).

It could be corrosion since both the tach and speedo are out.. It would make sense.

The paddle wheel is probably ok because the PP still works (I'm no boat expert but I think it uses the same instrument).

It could be corrosion since both the tach and speedo are out.. It would make sense.

my bad re pp still works. it follows that the paddle wheel is good.

that tach corrosion is a known/repairable issue but i have not heard of the speedo head having a corrosion issue.

Does the display in the speedo still work? I.e. hours, water temp, air temp, etc? Gauges are easy to replace. If the boat has a newer perfect pass unit (stargazer) I would only worry about resale.

Thanks, piglet. Any advice is appreciated. I really just want to know if I'd be getting myself into something terrible or not. Thanks!

i talked with the master Mercury tech @ work

he said "it really could be anything"

it could be a simple fix or something that takes 1/2 the day

can you pick the boat up for cheep?

if so it might be worth rollong the dice

what brand engine is it running

good luck

piglett

Edited by piglett