Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 VLX Ballast Options?

dcel22

Hi Guys,

New to the forum! I just bought a 2011 VLX and have some questions on the ballast system. My boat did not come with the factory hard tank in the front.

Is it an option to install a hard tank in the front after the boat has been made?

Also, does anyone have any wakeboarding ballast weighting recommendations? Right now I am running 100% full in the rear and 100% full in the center with maybe 25% wedge. I find that my boat wants to porpoise if I start giving it much more wedge. I'm assuming that more front weight should help this. Also, I'm not sure I am really happy with my wake. I like the shape of it but wish it was a little bigger. Wondering what people add for weight. Also maybe if there are good suggestions for how to add weight like lead to the front of the boat (what people commonly use)

Thanks!

Joe

Also, throwing a zillion things in there but if there is anyone out there around the Commerce Michigan area that would like to ride I am always looking for people to ride with. I live over on Wolverine Lake.

1.) yes it is an option to install the factory bow tank

2.) I would more than likely just add a bow fat sac like this one http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-integrated-bow-sac.html with a dedicated reversible pump (cheaper, faster, more weight).

Also the VLX hull loves weight. If you only wakeboard look at getting some 400lb sac's for the rear lockers. If you surf then you will want at least 750's for back there.

1.) yes it is an option to install the factory bow tank

2.) I would more than likely just add a bow fat sac like this one http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-integrated-bow-sac.html with a dedicated reversible pump (cheaper, faster, more weight).

Also the VLX hull loves weight. If you only wakeboard look at getting some 400lb sac's for the rear lockers. If you surf then you will want at least 750's for back there.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize they sold bow sacs that go under the cushions. That looks like the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same setup as you and use a bow sack but put it on top of the bow cushions as it fills up to about ~700lbs whereas under the seats you only get around ~400lbs. It would be nice to plumb something up front but not in the cards at this time. Filling only one sack isn't a big deal to us. And yes, the VLX loves bow weight.