Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Hoist Failure & Now Replacement

Slayer

I think I may have seen that one when we took our pontoon up the chain. I keep the Malibu on Portage, the canal into the Huron River is shallow and we have to pass through a tunnel so I would have to drop the tower too. It's not worth risking a prop, I've chewed up the prop on our pontoon already going through there but it was already chewed up when we got it so I'm not worried about it since it needs a prop anyway. We kept everything on the hoists over the weekend and just watched the traffic.

Regarding the rednecks over the weekend, there was a crew that came down on a pontoon playing legitimate beer pong. How the heck DNR didn't nail them was beyond me.

We saw someone playing beer pong on Zukey on Sunday. It was pretty crazy there as usual. Sometimes, we may it all the way down just to check it out, but more often than not if the weather is nice, we stay up on Ore. It's typically not busy.

Inland, I didn't see this thread in time, but I bought a 6,000 lb Max lift this spring with the built in power winch and canopy. I'm very happy with it so far.

I have an LSP lift for my pontoon boat and after 4 years am having quite a few problems with it.

I had a company deliver, assemble and install the lift that was recommended by the dealer and they did a great job. If you want his info just send me a PM.

Thanks, bb. I'll send you a PM. Right now, I'm considering assembling the thing myself. I've been through the instructions and it seems super simple.

It takes 3 or 4 guys who build them daily they take 3 to 5 hrs with assembly set up to match boat install in water and tweak to boat. Assembly isn't bad but getting it dialed in to fit boat takes a bit. Fyi on that lift match narrow trailer bunks spacing for lift bunks and u will be perfect. Don't do outside or your fins won't clear carriage when pulling on or off if not lowered enough. Also put bunks on top or highest hole for highest bunks. If u got 6ft uprights mount at 46-48" with a 24 in drop it's money!

Since you're in southeast MI, check out Lakeside Lift Corporation. They are in Waterford.

I got a great price on my 4500 lb, 116" beam lift and have no complaints after two seasons of use.

I have one as well. For the price new you can't beat it. I think I paid ~$4000 for the 4500-108 version, with 23 foot canopy 5 years ago. Wish I had bought the 116 version. My 98 beam boat fits on the 108 but wider would be better.

5 years later, the only thing I've had to replace is the brake discs, which are a wear item. It stays in the water during the winter, in my canal too.

Pros:

-Cost

-I was concerned it wasn't as robust as a shore station, but i's survived a 70 mph wind storm when other canopies were ripped off

-Fairly simple construction

-Comes stock with really long and nice ski bunks

-Has a really deep canopy, so you can tuck your boat into it.

-Long travel vertical lift

-The lift mechanism take a lot of spinning, but is very easy. (low gear ratio)

-Front cable (wear cable) is very short, and looks easy to replace when need be.

-Fairly light

-15 year structural warranty

-Lots of holes drills in the legs for "fine" adjustment.

Cons:

-The fasteners are "stainless performance" and they do eventually rust. I replaced mine with SS.

-Non standard tube size, so you have to buy taller posts from the manufacturer.

-Not a sturdy as a shorestation, or comparable high end lift.

Edited by Indyxc

Today I put the deposit down on the Max! I'm pretty excited to get it into the water. After much deliberation, I went with the all in one which with AC power. I have a spare 20A circuit for the beach area, which is currently unused, so since my deck is about 20' from the lake I figured that would be better for me than a solar option and was less costly. It's a 5,000#, 122" wide lift. Pretty excited about it, but won't get to experience it until next season.

Make sure you have some one that knows what they are doing run AC power to the dock. Out of the three guys that were doing the install on my hoist, all 3 had been popped by stray current on an AC powered lift. One of them was nailed when he stepped off the work boat onto a wet dock next to an AC powered lift, so he wasn't even in the water.

Make sure you have some one that knows what they are doing run AC power to the dock. Out of the three guys that were doing the install on my hoist, all 3 had been popped by stray current on an AC powered lift. One of them was nailed when he stepped off the work boat onto a wet dock next to an AC powered lift, so he wasn't even in the water.

Thanks. I plan on doing that myself. It's pretty simple, actually. Even more simple considering the circuit is already there and a junction box is already under the deck. It's a simple plug in type situation, so all I really need to do is wire up a GFCI receptacle and get a weather proof GFCI extension cord and I'm good to go.

"Because every boat deserves accommodations nicer than my house..."

That is fantastic! !!!!

I would LOVE a set up like that. But man.....that's a ton of cash there. If I lived somewhere with nearly year round boating it would be well worth it.

Not only do I love that setup, I love boat houses in general. Maybe nostalgia. I grew up spending summers in Canada and we had one. Was just in Canada again a couple weeks ago and saw a ton of them. They seem to be very popular there. Probably because they let them do it. It would probably take an act of God in Michigan to get anything put within 25 feet of the water.

Not only do I love that setup, I love boat houses in general. Maybe nostalgia. I grew up spending summers in Canada and we had one. Was just in Canada again a couple weeks ago and saw a ton of them. They seem to be very popular there. Probably because they let them do it. It would probably take an act of God in Michigan to get anything put within 25 feet of the water.

I went through all kinds of crap with my Township over a shed. When I questioned them on Lake setbacks I was told I could build a boathouse. If my home was on a hill I would have done so, but as it is a boathouse would seriously obstruct our view. The CFO does not approve of that.

We've got a neighbor that has a boat house that is nicer than most of the (much older) homes on the lake. 2 story with a bar/porch up top, unbelievable really. His setup would be perfect for this, in fact I'm a little surprised he doesn't already have it. Would be awesome for sure - winterization/storage would be a breeze! I'd find myself sitting in there all winter, just admiring the boat in all its beauty, from every angle. :love:

We've got a neighbor that has a boat house that is nicer than most of the (much older) homes on the lake. 2 story with a bar/porch up top, unbelievable really. His setup would be perfect for this, in fact I'm a little surprised he doesn't already have it. Would be awesome for sure - winterization/storage would be a breeze! I'd find myself sitting in there all winter, just admiring the boat in all its beauty, from every angle. :love:

I agree. Man cave above would be superb.