Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Hoist Failure & Now Replacement

Slayer

Inlandlaker, if you want to see my Lakeshore I think you have my number so send me a text and we can work something out. It's on its second season and sits in the water year round. My only complaint is the aluminum bunks are not robust and I will replace them with traditional wood ones this year. I was under your insurance payout for everything I have installed.

I know lakeshore was off your list but still wanted to offer you a chance to look a new one over.

Edited by Wayne

Wayne,....

Thanks!

Here's the situation I'm in with the insurance company. I had to give them quotes....so, I gave them quotes for hoists that were all well above the value of the one I had. So, what they did was basically take the lowest quote and use it as a means to depreciate my hoist. Then, they send me a check for the depreciated value less the deductible. In order to get the balance of my claim money, I have to spend a minimum of the $8,200 upon which the value of my claim is based. So, while I could spend less, it doesn't benefit me to do so. I'm married to spending the value of the claim or I don't get the difference between replacement value and actual value.

In any case, I should be finalizing the details on a hoist purchase tomorrow....more to come.

For $8,200 you should be close to buying a Floe. My one word of advice, go bigger than you think you need. I certainly wish we would have done that. My 5000# seems tiny with the new wake boats coming out. I certainly wish we would have gotten a 6000# or larger.

So, I called another dealer today to get a price on a hoist. He priced me a Hewitt vertical, with a powered winch for $8900. I asked him about a floe, which they also sell, and was quoted $5000 more. That was for a 5000# hoist. Crazy talk. I love the Floe VSD....it's an awesome system, but it's not $13k awesome.

Those dealers must be out of their mind. I have a Floe and love it. Not a VSD. Would like to but just their vertical. From what I remember speaking with my dealer you shouldn't be $13,000 in for the lift. Even a VSD. Floe in my neck of the woods was running just about inline with Hewitt, shore station, etc. Of course YMMV.

$13k seems way out of line. I know what we paid for ours and it was less than that and we had an additional 2-3k add on with the side extensions and a 26' custom canopy.

Edited by BlknYlwT22

I just used oldjeeps site to build a floe and for what I think inlandlaker pieced together was $11.5k. Add in tax and maybe an option I missed and you are at $13k. Also assembly is running about $300 plus installation can be $500. It adds up fast.

I finalized my plans yesterday and placed the order with the dealer. Going to pay for it next week. I ended up going with a Max with their all in one electric winch system. It's a pretty nice set up. I plan on putting it together myself. I don't think it will be that difficult to do, so I'm just going to do it. I figure I can have it done in 4 hours with a helper or 2.

• Like 2

Very cool - share some pictures of the setup when you get it put together!

Thanks. Not sure I'm putting it together this season or not. I have good friends with boats in the water.

Nice! I would plan for 6 hours with a few people helping though... Canopy too right?

Yes, canopy too. I'm thinking it should be quick. The thing ships with the port and starboard sides fully assembled. I think it will go quick.

Congratulations!! Great lift

One concern is the warranty and how that might be affected by the self assembly. If it was me I'd pay just to have no questions.

Good point. I'll look into this, but I don't think the warranty is effected when you assemble it yourself.

^^ Ah, it may then. They two I have helped put together were completely disassembled. And the instructions are about as clear as Ikea instructions...

I downloaded the instructions and it doesn't look bad at all. I think it's a 2 man job. The worst part about it is going to be putting the cable in and setting the canopy. I went with a 26' canopy.

Inland there are a couple ways to assemble the lift but a pontoon boat will really help the process. Do you have one or can you borrow one?

The guys that assembled my lift built the whole thing on land including the canopy frame. They took a lot of measurements of my boat as the set up things that adjusted. Then they dropped the whole thing in the water and parked the pontoon inside the hoist to install the canopy and winch.

I could see leaving the canopy frame off then installing it after the lift is set. Again parking the pontoon in the lift (with the lift cradle down) and then having 2 people walk the canopy frame in place.

Inland there are a couple ways to assemble the lift but a pontoon boat will really help the process. Do you have one or can you borrow one?

The guys that assembled my lift built the whole thing on land including the canopy frame. They took a lot of measurements of my boat as the set up things that adjusted. Then they dropped the whole thing in the water and parked the pontoon inside the hoist to install the canopy and winch.

I could see leaving the canopy frame off then installing it after the lift is set. Again parking the pontoon in the lift (with the lift cradle down) and then having 2 people walk the canopy frame in place.

Totally agree. I do have a pontoon and that's the easiest way to get it done.

BTW, what lake are you on?? Is your boat black and white?

Portage lake. My boat is black, grey and white but if it was on the hoist you probably can't see the grey.

I hope you were not the redneck peeing off his pontoon in my canal. There were some real winners out over the holiday weekend.

Portage lake. My boat is black, grey and white but if it was on the hoist you probably can't see the grey.

I hope you were not the redneck peeing off his pontoon in my canal. There were some real winners out over the holiday weekend.

I was not that redneck.

I'm on ore, but we have a small 14' aluminum boat with a 25 hp on it that we can get under the culvert and onto the Huron from our house. Usually on Sunday, we boat down the river to Zukey for breakfast.

I only asked because there's an RLXI between Strawberry and Zukey. Wasn't sure if it was you.

I think I may have seen that one when we took our pontoon up the chain. I keep the Malibu on Portage, the canal into the Huron River is shallow and we have to pass through a tunnel so I would have to drop the tower too. It's not worth risking a prop, I've chewed up the prop on our pontoon already going through there but it was already chewed up when we got it so I'm not worried about it since it needs a prop anyway. We kept everything on the hoists over the weekend and just watched the traffic.

Regarding the rednecks over the weekend, there was a crew that came down on a pontoon playing legitimate beer pong. How the heck DNR didn't nail them was beyond me.

Edited by Wayne

Inland, I didn't see this thread in time, but I bought a 6,000 lb Max lift this spring with the built in power winch and canopy. I'm very happy with it so far.

I have an LSP lift for my pontoon boat and after 4 years am having quite a few problems with it.

I had a company deliver, assemble and install the lift that was recommended by the dealer and they did a great job. If you want his info just send me a PM.