Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Quick tower speaker question

WABOBO

Looking at getting some tower speakers and I need some help!

I am having a tough time finding SXT9Q speakers in Canada (none locally, I can't find any Canadian stores who will ship, and I can't do a US store because the exchange rate is pretty bad).

What I can get fairly easily is 2 pairs of SXT65's. My questions is: are two pairs of SXT65's (125W RMS each) comparable to 1 pair of SXT9Q (200W RMS each)? The price of 2 SXT65's and SXT9Q are within $100 of each other. I'll be using the speakers for floating/swimming, and some surfing. I also have the illusion x tower, and would like speakers that swivel.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

2 pair of 6.5" coaxials will have a little more surface area of both the mid-bass cone and tweeter then a single pair of 8" coaxial. So in terms of output, the advantage goes to the 2 pair of 6.5". But, the larger 8" will have deeper mid-bass extension, which makes them a little more balanced and fuller sounding.

Thank you - very helpful!

Would adding a sub-woofer help balance or would it not be noticeable at surfing speeds? I think my main concern would be volume... it sounds like 2 pairs of 6.5" would do the trick.

It takes a lot of sub, as in size and power driving it, to contribute to the outside of the boat listening, especially underway like surfing. A larger tower speaker is a more efficient way to improve mid-base for surfing and party cove listening.