Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Malibu Sportster high engine temperature

Sashamalibusportster

Hi Everyone,

I own a 2004 Malibu sportster with only 160 engine hours.

Lately a started noticing that the temperature on the gauge is going over 160 and sometimes it will hit 190-200 and then the alarm starts going of.

This sometimes happens when idling or sometimes at higher speeds, I always check the engine and it is NOT hot. I can still touch the risers, exhaust, thermostat housing,...

There is no smell of anything overheating or smoke.

To be sure I changed the thermostat, impeller and checked every hose for debris, but the problem still occurs.

Could this be an electrical problem with the temp sensor?

I already noticed when I activate the bilge pump and/or blower the engine temp on the gauge rises!!!

Also when the temperature was too high (for example 190) and I shut down the engine and then turn the key without starting the engine the gauge reads 160, but then start up and goes back to 180.

I also noticed that I have two temperature sensors (so I think), one on the left side of the thermostat housing, on this one an orange wire with black stripe arrives

and It has a round connection that you need lock with a bolt. The other one on the right side of the thermostat housing also has an orange wire with black stripe

but there you need to slide the connection over the thread of the sensor.

Could anybody help me?

Thank you very much!

Ohhh yea, that's bad. I think you'd better bring it by and trade it in for a new Response LXR. I'll take a year or two to figure out the problem while skiing... :)

Just kidding - although I'd like to find a couple more Sportsters.

I would change the temp sensor and see if your problem goes away. Pull a wire on one at a time to find the one that runs the gauge, and start by replacing that one. It's a bit odd to have both temp gauge and the alarm go off without truly having an overheat situation, as typically one sensor is telling the ecm to set the alarm and one is simply running the gauge. But it could be in 2004 that the alarm was triggered from the dash as well.... I just can't remember.

Peter

Ohhh yea, that's bad. I think you'd better bring it by and trade it in for a new Response LXR. I'll take a year or two to figure out the problem while skiing... :)

Just kidding - although I'd like to find a couple more Sportsters.

I would change the temp sensor and see if your problem goes away. Pull a wire on one at a time to find the one that runs the gauge, and start by replacing that one. It's a bit odd to have both temp gauge and the alarm go off without truly having an overheat situation, as typically one sensor is telling the ecm to set the alarm and one is simply running the gauge. But it could be in 2004 that the alarm was triggered from the dash as well.... I just can't remember.

Peter

Thanks for the info!

already found out wich one controls the gauge and also ordered new sensors on skidim.

Will check later today if the alarm stops, when I disconnet the sensor that controls the gauge.

PS: I found my 2004 sportster in an old barn this year with only 30 hours on it, did a great deal with this boat! Even had a perfect pass system still in the box, ready to install in it :)

You can check the resistance of the ECT using some hot water of a known temperature and multimeter. Just dip the sensor in hot the water and check resistance against the values below. This will at least tell you if the sensor is OK or not.

degC degF Ohms
150 302 47
140 284 60
130 266 77
120 248 100
110 230 132
100 212 177
90 194 241
80 176 332
70 158 467
60 140 667
50 122 973