Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skaha Lake, Penticton BC

Zac

Hi guys - new to the crew and planning to buy my first boat in the next couple years.

We are building a house near skaha Lake and I was wondering if any crew members regularly boat on that lake (Penticton side) ?

I'm also wondering how it is for watersports and I understand it can get a lot windier at that end of the lake? How busy was it boat wise this year? I live on the west coast right now so I only spent a few weekends up there this summer. I'd be happy to hear about the south end of Okanagan Lake as well.

Just looking for anyone that's boated there to chime in and share their experiences. Thanks!

Welcome to the Crew!

I have boated both Skaha and the south end of Okanagan... And yes, they both have a habit of blowing up around mid day.

Skaha has a nice launch, in my experience, and for the most part, we stuck to the north end of the lake and played there.

The south end of Okanagan has a couple smaller launches, though still not too bad (avoid the launch at the end of Wharf street... did in a prop on my last boat there).

My recommendation for both, get out early and enjoy the mornings on those lakes. I'm moving from the lower mainland up that direction next month, but will be sticking more to Lake Okanagan.

Good Luck!

I won't speak for phoenix but most like Pitt (as do I) but my favourite is actually Harrison. It can be really rough or really good be prepared for both (I had 4-5' swells there on our return from 5 days camping last sunday). I just like that there is space and lots to explore as well as areas that are flat even in the worst conditions. Need LOTS of fuel for that lake though.

Pitt is good at Williams Landing (though sometimes busy) Stave can also be good but a nightmare to navigate the stumps if you don't know where you are going or are not familiar w/ it a high and low levels.

Cultus is a gongshow on the wknds but nice during the week especially in the mornings.

Zac are you actually in Van or???

I am out the valley so some of what I said has a geographic bias.

btw, Monk lake in Merrit is awesome if you like camping - albeit limited beach the water is usually pretty empty and flat save for some fishermen.

Edited by dmc

I used to love Allouette... Still nice there, but since the golden ears opened that launch has boiled my blood way too many times.

Like DMC, Used to spend a lot of time on Harrison too, but was such a far drive from Port Moody. It's a big lake, and technically requires you to have emergency flares on your boat (the only one around that I know of that has spots where you can potentially be more than 1km away from shore). I was fine in my old 19' runabout, but the 20' VTX crossed the line for that requirement. Second issue with big lake -> Cold.

Started going to Cultus about three years ago. It has its moments, but the launch is easy, never had issues with parking, and as long as you don't try to go to the lake on long weekends you usually won't have too many issues with the jet skiers.

Pitt is a local favorite among a number of crew members. I just didn't always care for the long travel up the river to get to the lake. Haven't been there in a couple of years now.

Stepping out of the lower mainland, my other favorite lake that I like to go to every year is Shuswap! Beautiful lake.

I won't speak for phoenix but most like Pitt (as do I) but my favourite is actually Harrison. It can be really rough or really good be prepared for both (I had 4-5' swells there on our return from 5 days camping last sunday). I just like that there is space and lots to explore as well as areas that are flat even in the worst conditions. Need LOTS of fuel for that lake though.

Pitt is good at Williams Landing (though sometimes busy) Stave can also be good but a nightmare to navigate the stumps if you don't know where you are going or are not familiar w/ it a high and low levels.

Cultus is a gongshow on the wknds but nice during the week especially in the mornings.

Zac are you actually in Van or???

I am out the valley so some of what I said has a geographic bias.

btw, Monk lake in Merrit is awesome if you like camping - albeit limited beach the water is usually pretty empty and flat save for some fishermen.

Thanks DMC. I'm also in the valley (langley). I like cultus but am afraid of the weekends. Harrison is a beautiful Lake if you can get past the cold!

I've been on stave a few times and remember the stumps. The driver had been going there for 30 years but not gonna lie, it would scare the crap out of me if I was on my own. Never been to monk Lake but when I get the boat I will make a point to stop. We are back and forth through Merritt all the time.

My favourite lake is alouette. It's big enough that it isn't crowded, but not toooooo big like Harrison is. I agree with DMC, the launch can be crazy, but what launch isn't crazy on long weekends? One downside is the new docks at alouette. They narrowed the gap between the docks and essentially turned it into a two lane launch from a 3 lane...especially if there are boats moored on the inside of the docks. Dumbest design ever!

One downside is the new docks at alouette. They narrowed the gap between the docks and essentially turned it into a two lane launch from a 3 lane...especially if there are boats moored on the inside of the docks. Dumbest design ever!

I had heard there were new docks going in... Didn't realize they were going to narrow the launch like that.

Mind you, lots of people were quite capable of turning that three lane into a one or two already.

I had heard there were new docks going in... Didn't realize they were going to narrow the launch like that.

Mind you, lots of people were quite capable of turning that three lane into a one or two already.

Lol. Very true!! They also put metal on the dock instead of wood planks. The metal has sharp a things on it for grip. Fine if you're wearing shoes!! Really hurts if you're barefoot! Again, another dumb idea.

I like alloutte the new dock really does suck for cutting out another lane. The only problem is some people don't know courtesy around the dock on busy days and that just really sucks for loading and unloading times. Which unfortunately on busy days around the lower mainland I'm sure you'll get that problem with most launches. Gotta get there early!

Zac, when you are on cultus (same goes for any of you) and see me out there stop by and say hi. We are there a couple times a week and usually on the wknd too. I have an '89 Sunsetter (square windshield) white red and black accents w/ black tower. I have tried posting pics on here but tho I can on every other forum I'm on something is up with what I'm doing.

So the Alouette ramp is basically now like pitt but worse due the redneck wally factor the launch is famous for. Great... That used to be second home for me as a kid and I've been looking forward to taking my kids out there.

I have flares now and tho the sunsetter is not the best Harrison boat I still tend to get out.. too much need to explore as well as ride left in me. (btw, if you don't mind a really long drive for awesome lakes and scenery Arrow lakes are pretty nice too but the weather can be even more unpredictable than Harrison!!!!)

Edited by dmc

Hi guys - new to the crew and planning to buy my first boat in the next couple years.

We are building a house near skaha Lake and I was wondering if any crew members regularly boat on that lake (Penticton side) ?

I'm also wondering how it is for watersports and I understand it can get a lot windier at that end of the lake? How busy was it boat wise this year? I live on the west coast right now so I only spent a few weekends up there this summer. I'd be happy to hear about the south end of Okanagan Lake as well.

Just looking for anyone that's boated there to chime in and share their experiences. Thanks!

I have been going to skaha lake (okanagan falls) for the last 19 years of my life, awesome lake! It can get choppy early though. Usually we are up for a slalom around 730-8 am depending on the day as the wind usually picks up around 9-930. After a slalom its time for a wakeboard. If the lake states calm you can ride throughout the day and usually it calms down around dinner for a late day ski. Middle of the day is reserved for floating around and cliff jumping and surfing. Have fun out there, one of my favourite spots in the world!313207_10152010798230497_1597394828_n.jp394433_10152010798945497_1515438066_n.jp224720_502706328252_1722_n.jpg?oh=3eb963226600_502706423062_8185_n.jpg?oh=699ee1

DMC - I will look for you next time I'm on cultus. I don't have a boat yet but when I get one I'll be sure to post it up.

ASP - great pics man. Can't wait to check out those cliffs!