Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer brakes

Greg_S

On our way back from vacation yesterday I noticed smoke/cloud coming from the rear trailer tire at the bottom of the Grapevine. For those not familiar with it, it is a very long grade (6-7%) that can be tough on tranny's, engines and brakes. I pulled off the freeway immediately thinking I had a big problem. After I stopped, I checked the rear axle tires and didn't notice the small or heat I was expecting and decided it ok to journey on. Several times during medium to harder braking I noticed the same cloudlike experience coming from the axle.

We got home late so this morning I looked at the wheels and there is a lot of brake dust on the rims. Is this normal on long trips or after long down hill grades ( i was using the motor to slow the truck so I thought t it might have put continuous light pressure on the trailer brakes ) or do I have a problem?

Any input or experiences would be appreciated.

I am planning on asking Extreme, but figure they won't be in until Wednesday.

thanks, Greg

Looking in the mirror and seeing smoke isn't a good thing at all.

When you went back and checked after the Grapevine were they really hot? I mean, standing beside the tires could you feel heat coming from the rims / brakes? If you don't remember it being really hot then my guess is you were OK.

Probabaly a good idea to have it all checked out, and since you're in SoCal I'd take it to Extreme and have it checked out by them directly.