Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

pp throttle return spring

tvano

tmc board leads me to believe that beefing up the throttle return spring will help avoid over-shooting the set speed (flair).

the big kids at the dealership are telling me that there is not an indmar stock part to patch this problem.

pp tech help offered the following "The spec is pretty wide for that return spring. A good place to start is around 10 lbs of tension back towards idle.".

what have you kids used to beef the throttle return spring?

What PP do you have?

My older boat I did need to add a heavier spring to allow to PP to settle quicker, however the down side of this was the heavier spring would sometimes pull back the throttle. I always kept my had on the the throttle to keep it stationary, but others sometimes had a hard time keeping it between the guides and holding the throttle.

If you have stargazer and your course has a sharp turn into the entrance some of our club members have issues with this. Their solution was to not let PP engage until after they make their turn. My new boat doesn't have an issue with this, but I believe the 06 is throttle by wire.

It also helps to have a driver that doesn't hammer the throttle to the moon....not saying that is happening.

Edited by Joeprunc

@tvano: I agree with the feedback that a stronger throttle return spring helps the overshoot. I installed a return spring that is close to 15# IIRC, I used a fish scale to verify and compare to the original and simply upped the tension by ~10-15%. Pretty much trial and error on my part.

• 2 weeks later...