Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does the new Crusader 5.7 L have a catalytic converter?

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out if I can use Shell Rotella T 15W-40 in my new Response. My question is does the new Crusader 5.7 have a catalytic converter? The reason I ask is that I read on-line (because everything online is true :lol: ) that it is NOT recommended to use Shell Rotella T in engines with catalytic converters. Does anyone out there know if this is true? On another note, the owners manual specs 15W-40 and my dealer's service department doesn't even use it, they buy bulk 15W-25.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

They use 15W25 ? Nothing like having the dealer void your warranty for you. Not sure what everyone's obsession around here is with Rotella - other than Walmart seems to sell it.

Your engine does have a convertor

http://www.crusaderengines.com/challenger/engines/malibu-response-monsoon/#features

Crusader’s exclusive, patented CATANIUM® Clean Emission System (CES) is advanced catalyst technology. CATANIUM® CES, greatly reduces harmful emissions and dangerous carbon monoxide, creating a cleaner, safer marine environment. Utilizing the latest engine management technology, CATANIUM® CES equipped engines are clean and more powerful than ever.

Edited by oldjeep

The engine owner's manual would be the right way to spec out your oil. If it spec's 15w-40, use it. If it spec's 5w-30 Synthetic, use it.

We use Rotella-T for a couple of reasons.

- Mfg spec's 15w-40.

- Every diesel truck in the world pretty much lives on Rotella 15w-40. Proof that it works in a heavy-duty environment.

- Rotella is the go-to brand for 15w-40. I couldn't even tell you if they make any other weight oil.

Peter

Hay its a good oil easy to get you can find it everywhere. My ski partner buys it in balk. Its what they run for all the equipment and trucks.

Every farm store has it around my area and its not as easy to find 15 x 40 in other brands.

We have the same motor in our Axis T22. I spoke directly with crusader and Rotella 15w-40 is what they recommended. I assumed that if the manufacturer recommended it that it must be ok. I recently talked with my dealer and they confirmed that is what is recommended and that is what they are putting into them as well.

FWIW, all the stuff I can find in google says that Rotella T6 is the one that causes problems with convertors because it is full of Zinc and Phosphorus - true or not who knows. Although I guess you could look at the MSDS and know for sure.

Edited by oldjeep

Thanks for the quick responses regarding my question on my Response, no pun intended :) . I did put Rotella T in during my last change, good to hear Crusader recommends it. Thanks again for the input and I will continue to use Rotella T.

FWIW, all the stuff I can find in google says that Rotella T6 is the one that causes problems with convertors because it is full of Zinc and Phosphorus - true or not who knows. Although I guess you could look at the MSDS and know for sure.

Just to clarify, T6 is the Rotella's synthetic 5w-40. They don't make a 15w-40 synthetic. I've not heard about catalytic issues with the synthetic, but then I've not looked for them either. The T6 does meet Mercedes engine oil standards for our Sprinter van.

Peter