Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bought 01' vlx... ready to upgrade already to newer?

CFH

The the wife and I just bought our 01' VLX about a month ago... before that we were in the offshore boat scene(27' fountain fever) . The reason for the change in boats is we moved and now live on a inland lake and decided to go with a wakeboard boat. Now we are really into the watersports... mostly wakesurfing. We can have more than 4 people on the boat compared to our fountain and its been awesome. In all its been the best move we made getting this boat, besides moving on the lake. But now... I am already wanting a newer boat... dont get me wrong the 01 is a very nice boat, but Ive been in a few others... a 08' vlx and a 10' vlx and I guess its the whole updated look thing and the hull is better deal.

So I guess the question is that... does it make sense to upgrade this quick? We are just getting into all this(first vdrive, watersports) and maybe its the right thing to just hold on too the 01 for a few years OR maybe sell now and upgrade in the spring? We got a pretty dang good price with the 01 and it does have decent wake for surfing with the added 800lbs in the lockers and some other ballast bags that came with it. I have the wicked wake gate on order that will be ready next week... if we kept the 01 i would like to upgrade the stereo and fix a seat or two. Just not sure... any of you been in this position?

Sell now and upgrade in spring would be a poor choice financially. Buy now and sell in spring would work out better. Buy low, sell high.

I agree with that... but financially we cannot do that. We need to sell this first then buy.

CFH = Cowboys From Hell?

lol, never heard that one before.

As to your original post question....No it does not make sense to upgrade that quickly (IMO) while the 01 VLX is not the best boat for wakesurfing it will still get the job done and still a workhorse. There is a lot of potential there with ballast, prop and wedge to surf, wakeboard and booze curise.

You probably paid in the mid to low 20s for it, and to upgrade would need to shell out at least another 10-15. For around 1000 you can prop and weight good enough to have fun. my .02

• Like 2

As to your original post question....No it does not make sense to upgrade that quickly (IMO) while the 01 VLX is not the best boat for wakesurfing it will still get the job done and still a workhorse. There is a lot of potential there with ballast, prop and wedge to surf, wakeboard and booze curise.

You probably paid in the mid to low 20s for it, and to upgrade would need to shell out at least another 10-15. For around 1000 you can prop and weight good enough to have fun. my .02

Thats the kinda answer I was looking for... I picked it up for 21k and put about $700 into it so far with the 800lbs bunk buster kit and some other ballast. The wicked wake gate will be another 500 because we need both sides... wife rides reg and Im goofy.

Edited by CFH

It's only money..... :rofl:

If you're feeling this way already I'd hesitate against putting any more money into the boat for your personal enjoyment. It's likely it won't be enough and you'll still be itching for the upgrade. Personally I chose to upgrade boats vs upgrade the boat we had. If it's in the cards to purchase a newer/more expensive boat that you want, I think that makes more sense in the long run.

Either way, good looking VLX.

I agree with that... but financially we cannot do that. We need to sell this first then buy.

Yeah, I get that. Then the next best thing is to sell soon and buy before the boat show when the used prices start rising and boats start selling again. Only issue with that is that you can't typically water test.

Still, he bought a 21k decent wake boat why? Because most likely didnt have 55k to get something with surfgate. Make this work for a summer or two, stack some cash, sell at the begining of the 3rd season and buy the one your really want.

• Like 2

But thats just me...I started out with a DD Supra, then got the same exact WS you have. Kept it for 2 seasons then sold to buy my Axis...which was what I really wanted all along.

In your situation, I would only upgrade right now for something significantly better, not just a newer model. Like if you needed something bigger, or wanted a feature like surfgate, etc. Your boat is really nice, and actually really good bang for the buck. It wont depreciate much over the next few years, compared to a new one. You could 2x as much for another boat, but i doubt you would enjoy it 2x as much if it's just a little newer. You could spend some money on stereo equipment that you could transfer to new boat in a few years if you decide to upgrade.

• Like 3

Yeah only having it a month, I'd make it work a bit longer. The more you use your '01, the more you will come up with features you really want and ones you could care less about to make sure your next boat is just what you want. No sense buying another one a little to early to learn about something else you really want. Personally, I'd roll with that VLX for a season or two to become very used to inboards and then get your dream machine. That VLX is still a great boat for most things!

• Like 2

We just sold our 01 VLX. We had it for three years. I think you are getting great advice from everyone here. I believe you should keep it. This is a great boat to learn with. Both learning inboard, vdrive boats and learning what you do and don't want out of a boat. With Wickedwake, ski locker bag, 750's x 2, and about 300 lbs of lead in the back you will make a surf wave that is long and plenty of push. There is nothing you will be missing out on. New boats only provide more. Not better. You get more meat on your wake board wake and more length on your surf wave. But if you take the time to set that boat up right you will not NEED it. We found that our crew over the past three years has grown. My parents come out more regularly, my sister just had a baby (that means a bunch of stuff on the boat that was never there), and in a couple more years my niece will be bringing friends with her. Not to mention the usual riding crew continues to grow. I had trouble selling a the boat because nothing new gave anything more than that boat provided for a very low cost of entry. You can make a great sound system, wake. ...it's a really good boat. In a few years there will be small things that stack up and will show you where to invest money into your next boat. It may be size like me; it may be something totally different. Invest the 1K and make this boat amazing for three years or so. Then confidently buy your next boat.

you have one of the best older v-drives for the money. with wicked wake your surf wake will be great for an intermediate surfer. I would like to have a newer boat but I don't think it would give me a $20,000 better wake.

you have one of the best older v-drives for the money. with wicked wake your surf wake will be great for an intermediate surfer. I would like to have a newer boat but I don't think it would give me a $20,000 better wake.

I agree with this. It takes a lot more to move from that boat. I loved that boat...

I agree with keeping it for awhile. There is still a lot you can do to upgrade the boat you have. Bow ballast is one of them, especially with the Wicked wave. A more aggessive prop will be better as well. We can help you spend as much or as little money as you want. :)

Congrats on the boat. It looks like it is in great shape and you got it for a steal, so enjoy it.

Well fellas... thanks for all the advice and intel, Ill hold on too her for few years. We normally have a crew of 4-6 people and once a year or so we have a crew of 9-10 people for a party at the house like we just had last weekend and to be honest... it wasnt too bad with the room we had. Then again 4 of the girls were only 105lbs :biggrin: LOL. This forum is really great too... really enjoy the people on here. WAY better then my offshore forum where people are calling out on other people about how stupid there motors are OR if your boat is older than a 2000 model you aren't in the club... was really sick of that crap.

Thanks again guys!

Edited by CFH

I agree with keeping it for awhile. There is still a lot you can do to upgrade the boat you have. Bow ballast is one of them, especially with the Wicked wave. A more aggessive prop will be better as well. We can help you spend as much or as little money as you want. :)

Congrats on the boat. It looks like it is in great shape and you got it for a steal, so enjoy it.

Thanks man, yeah it still seems that even if someone buys a 2008, 2010 or even a 2013 they still end up adding a different sound system and adding more ballast bags like Im doing with my current boat...

We've changed our focus several times. We kinda got bored with surfing and started to wakeboard more. We are slalom skiing now. Instead of getting good at anything, we just try something else I guess. Anyway, change of focus can be change of boat too.

You can always list the boat and see what happens and if it sells for around what you have in it or maybe a little more then upgrade. I would definitely not take a loss on the boat just to upgrade. That boat is in better shape than a lot of newer boats we have seen on this forum.

• Like 2