Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer hitch mounted winch

Levi900RR

Thinking about setting up a trailer hitch mounted winch for pulling my lift out each fall. Wondering if anyone has every set something like this up? I was hoping to set up a wiring harness so I can plug into my trailer light plug to power the thing. Wondering if that is going to provide me enough power? Or will I have to run larger gauge cable straight from my battery?

This is the winch I'm thinking of using:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2500-lb-ATVUtility-Electric-Winch-with-Wireless-Remote-Control-61840.html

2500 won't pull much, but when people use the 8000-9000 lb receiver mounted stuff they have dedicated wires with tow truck quick connects.

There is nothing in your trailer wiring that could power that.

Edited by oldjeep

My lift is 400lbs and it has wheels so I think a little ATV winch will do the trick.

As long as it rolls easy and isn't stuck in the bottom. Winch ratings are typically very optimistic, it is very easy to stall even a 9000lb winch.

I have that Badlands 2500 on the front of my lifted golf cart. It's amazing the things we've done with it. Moved a 1200 lb iron firepit thru deep sand into position..... The carts only 700 lbs so we had to anchor it behind a big log. Pulled several other carts/ATVs out of the snow. Winched the cart on to a tilt bed trailer covered in ice.

If you need more power, use a snatch block to double it. Although it gets a little slow.

Good luck. I would think it would work fine for you.

Your trailer wiring is junk compared to what you need, you'd burn the motor up over amping it from voltage drop.

The idea about a secondary battery is a good one if you plan to use it only once or twice a year. Get yourself a remote controlled unit as well, it is nice to get your hands on it while the winch is dragging it.

I've pulled my 450# hoist (with wheels) out with a 2500# winch on my ATV every year. It works like a charm. You could get fancy and build a self-contained puller with the winch, a large toolbox and a $20 tractor battery. Mount the winch inside the toolbox on the back wall with a couple eye bolts protruding out the back (through the mounting holes on the winch). Connect the winch to the battery. Either use a cable to connect it to your hitch or drive a pipe into the ground and use that as your pull point.

if it's a once a year thing I would just pull the battery out of something else and put it in the bed of the truck. No need to get all fancy.

Boom, I like this. I have 2 deep cycle group 24's in my lift that I'll be taking out that day anyway.

We use a electric capstan winch at work all the time and has unlimited length of line capabilities. But after looking up prices, I think it's a bit high for this project.

Is there a reason you just don't use your right foot as the winch?

No room on the beach for that. Although I've thought about using a snatch block on a tree and just pulling it that way.

We use a electric capstan winch at work all the time and has unlimited length of line capabilities. But after looking up prices, I think it's a bit high for this project.

I wanted to get one of those for my chain saw until I saw the prices. Starting to think a rope and a block on a tree tied to the truck might be the easiest / cheapest way out.

No room on the beach for that. Although I've thought about using a snatch block on a tree and just pulling it that way.

I wanted to get one of those for my chain saw until I saw the prices. Starting to think a rope and a block on a tree tied to the truck might be the easiest / cheapest way out.

Cheapest way would be a comealong for $35 but you are limited to maybe a 10ft pull before you have to reset. I do agree though, once you have a winch you will find a lot of other uses for it. Used the 8K winch on my jeep to load 200-500lb chunks of concrete into a rolloff by myself when I busted out the front steps and sidewalk.

Edited by oldjeep
  • 4 weeks later...