Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Issue with Malibu Touch Commander

Hey guys, just bought my first malibu boat and took delivery last night. Boat is a 2011 23lsv.

I noticed something very concerning when I turned the dash on, the Touch commander has some bubbling like there is water inside the screen to the left hand side. Everything works on it though as far as testing without firing up the boat except for the tab to go into the MLS settings. That tab is completely un responsive. I am not sure if I wait to see if it drys out and cross my fingers or what can be done. Any suggestions? The previous owner swears he has never had anything like this happen to him. It was shipped to me about 1000 miles with the cover on and the transport company told me the cover did not come off at all. I know they passed through weather just not sure what to think and how to proceed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Deven beat me to it. ^^^

Mine became unresponsive from one trip to the next just like that.

Sealed unit & the issue appears to be separation between the layers.

A few members including myself think it could be heat related so once we replaced the screens are taking precautions when the boat is parked on really hot days to cover the dash area.

Not water related as these are sealed well.

Easy to replace once you purchase the replacement screen, unfortunately these cost close to $2k.

One plug & 4 nuts

I fear this day. Did you go to your dealer to get the replacement screen?

We also toss a blanket over the dash while at anchor or when the cover is off at the dock

Edited by saxton15

I fear this day. Did you go to your dealer to get the replacement screen?

We also toss a blanket over the dash while at anchor or when the cover is off at the dock

We have the joy down under if it ain't a AU made Malibu, you are on your own.

Plus outside warranty, so again on your own.

Sourced a replacement new screen only mfg 3 mths before it arrived from US. IE 2015 stock.

Hoping the current screens while they look identical to the original screen have some improvements or revisions to prevent this becoming a re occurring issue.

Starting to see more posts regarding failed MTC screens, all close to warranty expiration or a year after. Remember these only came out in 2011....

Would the manufacturer Medallian ever admit to enhancements on newer model screens, doubt it as this would be an admission the initial design may not have been suitable for the intended application.

With more boat manufacturers offering these wiz bang screens, hopefully on newer boats these screens have improved for more than 3 years of trouble free operation....

2011 had a lot of mtc screen problems, many had them replaced under warranty (mine included). $2k for a small screen like that is insanse, has anyone tried to take it to a laptop repair store and see it it can be repaired?

This is a very frustrating problem. I appreciate the responses. I ordered a new replacement screen last week, made some calls and purchased for 1250 brand new. Still silly expensive but better than 2k!!!

So it is the newest unit and I have to reflash the firmware for it to work, so hopefully Medallion did make some upgrades. Being in Arizona the heat discussion worries me but the boat came from Oklahoma and arrived like this?

I would be curious if anyone has found a place to fix them. Would love to get it replaced to have a back up. Medallion never got back with me about repairing unfortunately.

11LSV15...Since this is a looming failure for me (hopefully not this coming weekend) I'm looking into MTC repairable solutions as well. Called my dealer about it yesterday and the recommendation I got was to run it until it fails. Since there's not much time remaining in the season I thought it might be prudent to start looking into getting it repaired vice just replacing.

Curious as to how you got yours for $1250. My dealer mentioned several different versions of which mine was the most expensive and runs for around $1800. Sounds like you went through this as well but went with the most affordable route. Also, who is Medallion?

If I come across a successful repair option I'll certainly post my results.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by jgates237

Mine was just replaced a month ago.

Im not sure what will prevent this from happening in the future.

My boat has sleepted inside a garage when not in use. It will now live in acovered boat house on the lake during the summer , moved indoors for the winter.

Yes Medallion manufacturer the part for Malibu. They make pretty much the hole computer system. You will see their name all over stuff under your dash if you peak under neath.

If you decide you want to buy a new one let me know and I will look up the dealer information for you so you can get it for what I paid.

The thing about running it until it fails is you risk getting stranded or not being able to use it when you want to. For example, mine just started now allowing the MLS option to be selected. It would suck to be on the water with all my tanks full and need to drain them for the day but not be able to. Or even worse for the engine start location not to work and get stranded.

I am just hoping that the new screens address the issue and this does not happen again.

I am shocked to come to find out how many people have had this problem. They really should have a recall out and those that have paid to get it replaced should get their money back. This is ridiculous.