Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Prop Recommendations

RicSki39

I have a 1999 closed bow Response and my prop has a couple of dings on it. I bought the boat used and am about 99% sure that the prop that’s on there is the original. I believe that the prop size is 13×14, and I’ve got a really short setup at my ski site. I know that the dings in the prop don’t do it any favors as far as performance is concerned. My question is; should I just look at getting another three blade prop in the same size? Should I look at getting a three blade prop with more pitch, like a 13×17? Or should I look into getting a four blade prop? Like I said, my site has a really short setup and I need to get to 36mph rather quickly.

Any recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated!

Call OJ or Acme, they will have better advice than 90% of the members on this forum.

As a guess, if you call acme, they will probably be recommending a 515 or 525.

Your prop will have a stamp somewhere on the hub noting its diameter and pitch. With the new CNC props there really isn't a need for a 4-blade anymore, the modern 3 blade props perform very well for direct drive ski boats.

I would be surprised if you had a 13x14 from the factory unless you have a barefoot edition. Malibu ran 13x13 or 13x12 a lot on direct drives in that era. Increasing the pitch will actually hurt acceleration. The 13x17 you mentioned will make the hole shot worse. The direction you want to go is 13x11 but seriously give Acme or OJ a call. They will get you the right prop.

@Ricski39: for a short setup an Acme 525 is probably a good choice at 0-2500 ft altitude. Altitude will influence your prop selection so if you are at higher altitudes, you will go with less pitch. The standard replacement for your boat would be the 515, the 525 has a bit less pitch which will give you a better holeshot for the short setup you are concerned with.

What is your current prop, what is the engine speed at 36 mph as that will give you the reference on what works, if very close to 100rpm:1mph yours is close to what a 515 will give you.

As noted both Acme and OJ will provide great customer advice and will guide you to the best selection for your needs and are very approachable on the phone.

@Wayne @Woodski, thanks for the input. I took a look at the prop last night after my sets and i turns out it's a 13×13. I'll definately give those guys a call so I can get a replacement as soon as possible.